Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 02:27 PM

2,193 posts, read 5,803,289 times

Advertisements

Rockin!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2008, 04:13 AM

803 posts, read 2,970,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by merrick13 View Post
I have lived in Mt. Washington (the "bad" side as it's often referred) near Allentown for 5 years and we've not had any problems that I don't see happening in other city neighborhoods. I know more people that had car break-ins and the like when I lived in Shadyside.

The mountain top neighborhoods (Mt. Wash, Allentown, Beltzhoover, Carrick, Mt. Oliver, etc.) are fighting a perception battle more than anything and it's a damn shame that it scares people away. The location can't be beat, it's affordable and and we've met some really cool young people that are trying to revitalize these communities.

Check out 15211.org for more info.
Great post!--I agree... if these neighborhoods' perception is ever to change, we must have an influx of younger, hipper residents to spur demand for updated retail and other services.

The way I see it, I can be in downtown in less than 10 mins., I'm 1.1 miles from Carson Street, and I can get to either South Hills Village or Century III within 30 mins, even in rush hour!

The Foodland IS a dump, but I go to the old Shop -n- Save in Baldwin, only 2 miles away and a world of difference in quality!!!!

I'm actually thinking of buying here someday - - - that is,m if we can ever get a loan, again......

Old 09-24-2008, 04:15 AM

2,193 posts, read 5,803,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by By~Tor View Post
The Foodland IS a dump, but I go to the old Shop -n- Save in Baldwin, only 2 miles away and a world of difference in quality!!!!

I'm actually thinking of buying here someday - - - that is,m if we can ever get a loan, again......
Not all lending is suspended, just the bad type

And I don't think I've ever been in a Foodland that wasn't a dump

Old 12-16-2008, 12:13 AM

2 posts, read 5,501 times
I grew up in Mt. Oliver in the 60's and 70's, never even locked the door. So sad to read (from many sources) how much it's gone downhill.

Old 12-16-2008, 10:52 AM

I'm actually going to be moving from Mt. Oliver over about 8 blocks or so to Carrick... just on the other side of Transverse Park... but a world away from thumping car stereos with lousy jams coming from 'em, guys getting mugged for a 6-pack right on Brownsville Road (my neighbor), and the annual car vandalizing orgy on Giffin Street...

It's a shame, because Mt. Oliver has great housing stock, nice commute times and friendly people... except that the thugs and morons have, apparently, taken over and are fast turning it into "Beltzhoover East"....

Old 12-16-2008, 11:38 PM

3,131 posts, read 9,375,591 times
I know nothing about Mt. Oliver, however my impression of it during the past two weeks: 2 murders. Two days ago: 2 women raped. This is reality - not a perception.

Old 12-18-2008, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterRabbit View Post
I know nothing about Mt. Oliver, however my impression of it during the past two weeks: 2 murders. Two days ago: 2 women raped. This is reality - not a perception.

And the damndest thing, is that the 16 year old that got illed?? happened right in front of our Apartment building... we never even heard the shots, because we're so used to hearing fireworks and gunfire going off over near Beltzhoover...

It's a shame about Mt. Oliver, because it has such potential!!!! I hope they catch the guy that did it and lock his ass up for life... the soner they start taking a tougher approach to this gang violence, the better off the entire world will be....

Old 12-19-2008, 01:44 AM

3,131 posts, read 9,375,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by By~Tor View Post
It's a shame about Mt. Oliver, because it has such potential!!!! I hope they catch the guy that did it and lock his ass up for life... the soner they start taking a tougher approach to this gang violence, the better off the entire world will be....
I'm with you on the gang thing. I've read about sweeps in places like LA where they arrest 1,800 at a time. Camden and other cities seem proud of doing the same. They catch a lot of people already on wanted lists when they do this. The last I know of the city doing anything impressive was back in February when they got together with the county and FBI and targeted the gangs. There wasn't any murders for awhile after that.

It seems there hasn't been any follow-through by the city. I thought they were going to mount cameras and keep cops visible in the hot spots. I have yet to hear any more on that.
---
You say you are going to move 8 blocks away. That's only buying time. The crime will come to you eventually. Wilkinsburg used to be a great place to live 30 years ago. Then Homewood expanded during the late 1970s. There are other affordable places to live that never had and aren't likely to have gang problems.

Old 12-21-2008, 10:55 PM

95 posts, read 208,050 times
Carrick and Carrick High School are Heroin holes

Old 12-22-2008, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterRabbit View Post
I'm with you on the gang thing. I've read about sweeps in places like LA where they arrest 1,800 at a time. Camden and other cities seem proud of doing the same. They catch a lot of people already on wanted lists when they do this. The last I know of the city doing anything impressive was back in February when they got together with the county and FBI and targeted the gangs. There wasn't any murders for awhile after that.
I think the cops should have a full-time gang task force, and make a very visible statement that gang activity is NOT tolerable behavior, and that each and every one of them WILL go to prison, under RICO statutes, if caught.... that will start the juggernaut rolling, in the right direction....

Quote:
It seems there hasn't been any follow-through by the city. I thought they were going to mount cameras and keep cops visible in the hot spots. I have yet to hear any more on that.
---
The cameras aren't in Mt. Oliver, because, technically, we're NOT part of Pittsburgh City... we're our own Borough, and here, they have offered cameras, but at a cost of $8,000 to install and monitor them... not too many landlords here have that kind of scratch....OR impetus... to install 'em at that cost... so, it's another case of "Feel-Good Politics", designed to give the IMPRESSION that the government is "doing something" about it, all the while continuing "buisness as usual"...

Quote:
You say you are going to move 8 blocks away. That's only buying time. The crime will come to you eventually. Wilkinsburg used to be a great place to live 30 years ago. Then Homewood expanded during the late 1970s. There are other affordable places to live that never had and aren't likely to have gang problems.
True 'dat, but then again, as a private homeowner, I can and will reserve the right to outfit my property borders like "Fort Apache the Bronx", and woe be to the hapless thug who decides to come onto my property, ever.... they WILL leave in a body bag, and if five more come after them, then they'll need 5 more body bags.

"Political Correctness" be damned, I'm a firm believer in calling things what they are, and also in taking care of my business so that someone else doesn't HAVE to... so, in that light, let the little bastages bring it!!!....LOL!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh