Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 02:51 PM

101 posts, read 218,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q-tip motha View Post
That's just because you're still technically an outsider (and it has nothing to do with your race).

Give it two more years and you'd be surprised how much different everyone has suddenly become.
LOL! Very true. Give them some time.

Sometimes I wonder if it's the student factor. Pittsburghers are so use to seeing people come in and out you've got to be here for a few years. Prove you're staying for them to warm up and take an interest. Then they'll clue you in to all those great little places like where you might get a shot at seeing the Boss for free when he's in town.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q-tip motha View Post
As for Pittsburgh being racist? C'mon now. I can show you little rural towns where people will gawk uncomfortably if someone with a different skin color walks into the room. Pittsburgh isn't the least bit racist.
<G> They should try visiting ME, VT, and NH. NO people of different skin color up there. You do get gawked at if you head further north than Boston.

Last edited by HillsHollow; 06-26-2011 at 02:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2011, 03:31 PM

1,174 posts, read 1,586,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarisnowday View Post
There's definitely some humor to find when someone who has lived in only one city their entire life deems themselves fit to judge that it is the most racist city anywhere.

EDIT: Actually he says it's the most racist city he's ever been in. So maybe it's true, but it's not saying much.
I was thinking that his post sounded a bit sarcastic myself.

Old 06-27-2011, 07:11 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,718,517 times
I think people are getting "racism" mixed up yet again in regards to the city. Yinzers don't seem to care much about political correctness, especially in comparison to big cities where people are falling over themselves to be politically correct. Since the pussification of America hasn't quite been embedded in this city like it has elsewhere people often equate off color comments or attitudes as "racism" in certain circles. These people need to get over themselves.

Old 06-27-2011, 09:25 AM

6,327 posts, read 9,153,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
I think people are getting "racism" mixed up yet again in regards to the city. Yinzers don't seem to care much about political correctness, especially in comparison to big cities where people are falling over themselves to be politically correct. Since the pussification of America hasn't quite been embedded in this city like it has elsewhere people often equate off color comments or attitudes as "racism" in certain circles. These people need to get over themselves.
I'd say Bingo and say it's a good thing that people are still honest here about what they think.

Old 11-17-2012, 03:01 PM

1 posts, read 1,353 times
Where are the best places to meet such open people?

Old 11-19-2012, 10:41 AM

2,336 posts, read 7,778,719 times
Well I'm in an interracial relationship (I'm a Black woman, my BF is a White man); and this isn't my first one in Pittsburgh. My take is that you encounter very few problems while in an interracial relationship in Pittsburgh (unless you feel that people in public don't assume that you guys are a couple....like when waiting for a table in a restaurant...is a problem....I personally don't). Rarely, if ever, does anyone ever just come right out and give your grief.

However, I moved to Pittsburgh single and unattached and trying to date interracially was pretty weird. Too often, people would embrace the stereotype of what a Black person is rather than seeing me as an individual. For example, for a while, I kept attracting way too many White men who wanted to play the sugar daddy role and have me be their arm trophy. The notion of a self-supporting, college-educated Black woman becomes such a surprise that you become an oddity. On the flip side of the coin, many Black people here in Pittsburgh only consider dating White people who grew up in Black neighborhoods, listen to hip-hop and wear Roca-Wear (or whatever is in style nowadays). Ironically, my boyfriend is of this type; and our first few dates weren't serious (because I was weird to him, and he was weird to me). But we became best friends, and a year and a half later, we're still going on. However because my boyfriend "acts Black" (which I don't like to say...but it communicates his culture well to others), he has been much more accepted by my Pittsburgh born & bred family than any of my other exes have been.

I think that Pittsburgh tends to move slowly on a lot of things; race relations included. I would say that now, we are culturally like late 1980s NYC in regards to interracial dating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh