Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2010, 12:09 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,889,775 times

Advertisements

^^^^ I wouldn't go that far....Philly does offer alot of amenties and Center City is the perfect Downtown...its not too big not to small and its more like a neighborhood rather than a CBD....

Its just by living in both Pittsburgh and Philly for enough time to know both cities and both are great cities...there's nothing (outside of a few trivial amenties) that Philly offers that Pittsburgh doesn't....Philly homers have tried to prove me wrong by saying "Philly being bigger than Pitt is enough" but it doesnt hold weight...sure Philly may have more Dunkin Donuts, but Pitt has DD too is all that matters....until someone can provide something substantial on how Philly outclasses the Burgh, I stand by my words....

Old 07-19-2010, 05:08 PM

377 posts, read 666,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
^^^^ I wouldn't go that far....Philly does offer alot of amenties and Center City is the perfect Downtown...its not too big not to small and its more like a neighborhood rather than a CBD....

Its just by living in both Pittsburgh and Philly for enough time to know both cities and both are great cities...there's nothing (outside of a few trivial amenties) that Philly offers that Pittsburgh doesn't....Philly homers have tried to prove me wrong by saying "Philly being bigger than Pitt is enough" but it doesnt hold weight...sure Philly may have more Dunkin Donuts, but Pitt has DD too is all that matters....until someone can provide something substantial on how Philly outclasses the Burgh, I stand by my words....
You can't be serious. You have either never spent any leisure time in Philadelphia or you're attempting to fabricate a fairy tale.

What in Pittsburgh outclasses or even approaches: Rittenhouse Square, Washington Square, Society Hill, The B.Franklin Parkway, The Academy of Music, The Kimmel Center, The Avenue of the Arts (South Broad Street), The PMA, The BF Institute (The Carnegie "approaches" it, but in the words of several Pittsburgh natives/visitors, - "It is NOT the BFI"), the campus and stature of the UofP, I won't even approach the differences in First Rate Hotels/Condos (Ritz Carlton, Four Seasons, The Rittenhouse, Sofitel, 1706 Rittenhouse (New 32 Story Condo $2M-$6M per unit), etc., etc.), 4 Broadway Stage Theatres and many other center city stage/live entertainment venues, The Mann Center, Boathouse Row, and coming soon - a 2nd world class art museum (under construction) - the Barnes. Top Restaurants - NO comparison - Zagat doesn't even rate Pittsburgh. Additionally, Pittsburgh is a 2nd Tier Entertaiment stop for most large venues (similar to Cincinnati, St. Louis, Cleveland, etc.) - Philadelphia is a TOP city, i.e., many BIG entertainers skip Pittsburgh, but play Philadelphia for 2 or 3 days - like Madonna. Please don't hit me with - You don't know Pittsburgh - I was born and lived there till 12 and later for 2 working years (2003-2005) - and visit relatives twice a year. Not at all saying Pittsburgh is not an ideal place to live for some, but "classy" ? Come on. A very good orchestra - yep, a marginally good ballet company - yep, a very good university (Carnegie Mellon) - yep. Further more, except for occasional single night events, downtown Pittsburgh closes after 7PM.

IMO, comparing the classiness and extent/variety of Pittsburgh entertainment to Philadelphia is at best comical. Not at all bashing Pittsburgh - it has many qualities not found in Philadelphia - BUT classiness, cultural/social/entertainment amenities (things to do) and diversity aint one of them - not by a Looong Shot !! Philadelphia had over 700,000 overnight+ leisure (not business) international visitors in 2009 - how many did Pittsburgh have? How many international cities (excl. Canada) can you fly non-stop to from Pittsburgh - answer - 1 and that has to be financially subsidized by the Community.

Old 07-19-2010, 06:43 PM

126 posts, read 304,321 times
I've seen a couple of philly vs. pittsburgh threads before,and I think people like to compare these 2 because they are the biggest cities in PA. I don't really think it's a fair comparison. But pittsburgh has A LOT to offer for a city it's size. this is not a bash on pittsburgh, but it just doesnt really compare to philly, besides lower crime. both are great cities.

And why is this in the pittsburgh forum, shouldn't it just be in the general PA forum?

Old 07-19-2010, 07:17 PM

1,776 posts, read 2,696,654 times
It's an apples to oranges comparison obviously. Pros and cons to both.

Old 07-19-2010, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acenturi View Post
You can't be serious. You have either never spent any leisure time in Philadelphia or you're attempting to fabricate a fairy tale.

What in Pittsburgh outclasses or even approaches: Rittenhouse Square, Washington Square, Society Hill, The B.Franklin Parkway, The Academy of Music, The Kimmel Center, The Avenue of the Arts (South Broad Street), The PMA, The BF Institute (The Carnegie "approaches" it, but in the words of several Pittsburgh natives/visitors, - "It is NOT the BFI"), the campus and stature of the UofP, I won't even approach the differences in First Rate Hotels/Condos (Ritz Carlton, Four Seasons, The Rittenhouse, Sofitel, 1706 Rittenhouse (New 32 Story Condo $2M-$6M per unit), etc., etc.), 4 Broadway Stage Theatres and many other center city stage/live entertainment venues, The Mann Center, Boathouse Row, and coming soon - a 2nd world class art museum (under construction) - the Barnes. Top Restaurants - NO comparison - Zagat doesn't even rate Pittsburgh. Additionally, Pittsburgh is a 2nd Tier Entertaiment stop for most large venues (similar to Cincinnati, St. Louis, Cleveland, etc.) - Philadelphia is a TOP city, i.e., many BIG entertainers skip Pittsburgh, but play Philadelphia for 2 or 3 days - like Madonna. Please don't hit me with - You don't know Pittsburgh - I was born and lived there till 12 and later for 2 working years (2003-2005) - and visit relatives twice a year. Not at all saying Pittsburgh is not an ideal place to live for some, but "classy" ? Come on. A very good orchestra - yep, a marginally good ballet company - yep, a very good university (Carnegie Mellon) - yep. Further more, except for occasional single night events, downtown Pittsburgh closes after 7PM.

IMO, comparing the classiness and extent/variety of Pittsburgh entertainment to Philadelphia is at best comical. Not at all bashing Pittsburgh - it has many qualities not found in Philadelphia - BUT classiness, cultural/social/entertainment amenities (things to do) and diversity aint one of them - not by a Looong Shot !! Philadelphia had over 700,000 overnight+ leisure (not business) international visitors in 2009 - how many did Pittsburgh have? How many international cities (excl. Canada) can you fly non-stop to from Pittsburgh - answer - 1 and that has to be financially subsidized by the Community.
Wow someones a little high on philly....while true philly had the better concerts it wasnt because philly was the better city it because Pittsburgh lack a modern concert venue that is now thing of the past....now that the burgh has the CEC...(Btw Pittsburgh doesnt need washed up Maddona we have Lady GaGa to open our sh*t)

EVERYTHING YOU LISTED IS EITHER TRIVIAL OR CAN BE MATCHED IN THE BURGH......you havent provided me anything substantial

AGAIN PHILADELPHIA DOESNT OFFER ANYTHING THAT CANT BE HAD IN PITTSBURGH...there maybe just more of it in Philly......any person without bias could see what im talking

Old 07-19-2010, 08:15 PM

12,529 posts, read 17,535,105 times
Well, at least we never booed Santa Claus.

Old 07-19-2010, 08:28 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,208,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
Wow someones a little high on philly....while true philly had the better concerts it wasnt because philly was the better city it because Pittsburgh lack a modern concert venue that is now thing of the past....now that the burgh has the CEC...(Btw Pittsburgh doesnt need washed up Maddona we have Lady GaGa to open our sh*t)

EVERYTHING YOU LISTED IS EITHER TRIVIAL OR CAN BE MATCHED IN THE BURGH......you havent provided me anything substantial

AGAIN PHILADELPHIA DOESNT OFFER ANYTHING THAT CANT BE HAD IN PITTSBURGH...there maybe just more of it in Philly......any person without bias could see what im talking
Blackbeaut just give it up already.

I just read an article in Rolling Stone about music cities in the usa. According to the leading concert promoters there are 4 premiere concert cities in the USA.The head promoter for Electric Factory Larry Magid had this to say, "Everyone plays NY,La, Chicago and everyone plays Philadelphia." Philly is such a special music city that Pearl Jam spent an entire week here last fall. That is unprecendented for Pearl Jam whose worldwide concert schedule is jam packed.

The Philly area is a national metropolitan anchor. People from all over the country move here to work and play. Pittsburgh is a great city but its more of a regional anchor than a national one.

Old 07-19-2010, 09:52 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,147,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post

I just read an article in Rolling Stone about music cities in the usa. According to the leading concert promoters there are 4 premiere concert cities in the USA.The head promoter for Electric Factory Larry Magid had this to say, "Everyone plays NY,La, Chicago and everyone plays Philadelphia." Philly is such a special music city that Pearl Jam spent an entire week here last fall. That is unprecendented for Pearl Jam whose worldwide concert schedule is jam packed.

The Philly area is a national metropolitan anchor. People from all over the country move here to work and play. Pittsburgh is a great city but its more of a regional anchor than a national one.
I would think with the proximity to NY and DC Philly would and likely does have less influence than what it would if it wasn't so close to other large cities.

Old 07-20-2010, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post

Please people from Philly go to NYC and DC for concerts that aren't available in Philly (This happens ALOT)....Philly for its size get shadowed alot because of its proximity to NYC and DC which are more "anchor" cities than Philly.

Again give me something substantial Rainrock, and prove you not just a bias Philly homer like I precieve you to be.

Old 07-20-2010, 07:26 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,001,421 times
I agree that Philly comes across as just sort of the middle part of the NY/DC megacity, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing, just a very different thing from a case like Pittsburgh's, which is much more alone in its own (albeit relatively low-population) region.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh