Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2014, 01:46 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,996,717 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
It's still not real Italian culture and someone isn't "Italian" for not acting like that. I'd find someone who would act like that to be more of a moron than a "real Italian" personally.
I agree with your statement as both Philly and Pittsburgh seem to have authentic Italian American culture, however I do feel that Italian Americans in the Northeast have a noticeably different vibe than Italian Americans on the West Coast. This may not sound politically correct but I feel that Italian Americans on the West Coast assimilated more into "White Anglo-Saxon Protestant" culture at much greater numbers than Italian Americans did in the Northeast.

Old 03-08-2014, 03:43 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,152,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zip95 View Post
No. In Philly that's real Italian culture and it has nothing to do with acting tough. It's just the way people are. The accent, the clothing, the attitude. Think of the MTV show Jersey shore. I grew up with millions of kids like that. They are a proud people and they're proud of their culture.
Just because it's real to them doesn't mean it's real to anyone else, this has nothing with being Italian and more with them looking like idiots to the rest of us. I've been to Jersey many times and have family there, and they think people who act like this are idiots. The vast majority of people there and in Philly act nothing like this anyway.

Old 03-08-2014, 03:57 PM

419 posts, read 551,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zip95 View Post
No. In Philly that's real Italian culture and it has nothing to do with acting tough. It's just the way people are. The accent, the clothing, the attitude. Think of the MTV show Jersey shore. I grew up with millions of kids like that. They are a proud people and they're proud of their culture.
Not all of Italy is alike. There are some differences between Northern and Southern Italy, as well as Sicily. The idea that the Jersey Shore Guido stereotype is "real authentic Italian" is absurd. I do believe you when you say that the Jersey Shore-types is prevelant in Philly, but disagree they are authentic Italian.

Much of Philly is similar to Jersey and NYC in terms of attitude and regional culture. Most of PA is completely different than Philly. Pittsburgh truly is the metropolitan or urban capital of Appalachia. Pittsburgh is the urban capital for people from Scranton, Williamsport, Altoona, Erie, Johnstown, New Castle, State College, Bradford, Titusville, northern West Virginia, southeastern OH. I would argue that Pgh is the more progressive and diverse version of those small cities and towns. The attitudes are very similar. The geography is similar. Most of PA is situated in Appalachia and I would argue that Scranton in northeastern PA is way more similar to Pittsburgh 5 hours away than Philly or NYC only 2 hours away. Philly is the metro capital of suburban NJ.

Old 03-08-2014, 04:10 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,996,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghdude28 View Post
Not all of Italy is alike. There are some differences between Northern and Southern Italy, as well as Sicily. The idea that the Jersey Shore Guido stereotype is "real authentic Italian" is absurd. I do believe you when you say that the Jersey Shore-types is prevelant in Philly, but disagree they are authentic Italian.

Much of Philly is similar to Jersey and NYC in terms of attitude and regional culture. Most of PA is completely different than Philly. Pittsburgh truly is the metropolitan or urban capital of Appalachia. Pittsburgh is the urban capital for people from Scranton, Williamsport, Altoona, Erie, Johnstown, New Castle, State College, Bradford, Titusville, northern West Virginia, southeastern OH. I would argue that Pgh is the more progressive and diverse version of those small cities and towns. The attitudes are very similar. The geography is similar. Most of PA is situated in Appalachia and I would argue that Scranton in northeastern PA is way more similar to Pittsburgh 5 hours away than Philly or NYC only 2 hours away. Philly is the metro capital of suburban NJ.
Are you really trying to say that Pittsburgh has a much bigger influence in the state than Philadelphia? Funny how there is way more Philly sports fans in the state than there are Pittsburgh sports fans. I'm sure you forgot to mention that.

Last edited by gwillyfromphilly; 03-08-2014 at 04:33 PM..

Old 03-08-2014, 04:18 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,131,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
A winning baseball team!!!
That's no longer true.

Old 03-08-2014, 04:24 PM

419 posts, read 551,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Are you really tryng to say that Pittsburgh as a much bigger influence in the state than Philadelphia? Funny how there is way more Philly sports fans in the state than there are Pittsburgh sports fans. I'm sure you forgot to mention that.
I didn't mention influence at all. I mentioned regional and social attitudes. If you traveled around the state, you will find much of Appalachia is similar no matter if you live in Pittsburgh or Wilkes-Barre, PA. Philly is much more similar to NJ than the towns that sit in the mountains and valleys of PA.

Btw-- I have very negative opinions of Pgh and must tread carefully to avoid censorship. All in all, I much prefer Philly

Old 03-08-2014, 04:27 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,542,794 times
Quote:
I didn't mention influence at all. I mentioned regional and social attitudes. If you traveled around the state, you will find much of Appalachia is similar no matter if you live in Pittsburgh or Wilkes-Barre, PA. Philly is much more similar to NJ than the towns that sit in the mountains and valleys of PA.

Btw-- I have very negative opinions of Pgh and must tread carefully to avoid censorship. All in all, I much prefer Philly

Really, hadn't noticed.

Old 03-08-2014, 04:30 PM

9,330 posts, read 13,002,482 times
Quote:
Btw-- I have very negative opinions of Pgh
Secret's out!

Old 03-08-2014, 04:33 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,542,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
Secret's out!

Ya think?!?!?

Old 03-08-2014, 04:51 PM

5,047 posts, read 5,801,905 times
Oh I think Pittsburgh is definitely better hands down. We have been in Phily a few times and there was nothing that jumped out at us. Yes, it was nice to stroll around, see the Liberty Bell etc. But I didn't feel safe there at all ; and we are fairly well traveled people. But Pittsburgh ; it has character, character and lots of character.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh