Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 08:56 PM

1,437 posts, read 3,061,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugatu View Post
I didn't read this whole thread, but I have to laugh at the "tough as nails" comment. Before I moved to Pittsburgh, I thought it was a tough town based on it's reputation. But after living up here for 2 years, that couldn't be farther from the truth. Pittsburghers are some of the most sheltered and wimpy people I've ever met. Nothing wrong with that, but I that was my biggest surprise when I moved up here because I really thought the people here would be like their reputation.

Where you loafing, in Shadyside or something? Go bounce around some of the bars on the Northside or in Garfield and neighborhoods like that. Or better yet, go loaf in Braddock or Rankon, and tell us all how "wimpy" everybody seemed.

Old 08-15-2009, 10:17 PM

2,245 posts, read 7,170,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman89 View Post
Philly is an east coast city that will always be big..right alongside NYC and DC.

Pittsburgh is a midwest(don't throw your geography at me) city that collapsed with the steel industry but has a bit more potential.
The true mark of ignorance concerning Pittsburgh. Let me start off by saying that Pittsburgh is not a Midwestern city in any respect. It is East Coast-Appalachia.

(1) Architecture/Structure: Much of the core of Pittsburgh was laid out from 1770-; and thus, demonstrates the typical chaotic and narrow layout found on the East Coast. Approximately 1/3 of Pittsburgh's population lived in the row house neighborhoods --the staple housing of the East Coast, and not found in other regions of the U.S. save San Francisco.

(2) Culture: A Gastil study in the 70s concluded that Pittsburgh is in the same general cultural region as most of PA and all of South Jersey.

(3) Demographics: The staple demographic of the Northeast...heavy Italian population remains consistent in Pittsburgh. Midwestern cities that supposedly have such high concentrations of Italians (like Detroit or Chicago) are actually at or below the national average of 6%....while metro Pittsburgh has 16%.

(4) Appalachia: Pittsburgh is tied very tightly to coal; is located within Appalachia's historical boundaries; topographically Appalachia; accent is most similar to the Highland Southern accent of the Appalachia region.

(5) History: People keep mentioning what a Victorian city Pittsburgh is...which is true; and while it is not nearly as old as Philadelphia, Boston or New York, it also has a rich Georgian-era history:

First discovered in the 1660s; became a fur trading post on the frontier in the early 1700s; became a fort/frontier town in the middle 1700s.

Yet, by late 1780s, Pittsburgh had begun to shed it's frontier town status...1786 the cities first newspaper, the Post-Gazette came into existence. 1787 the first university was chartered (which is know today as Pitt). 1797 saw glass manufacturing, and had 60 shops; people from Boston, NYC, and Phila. were migrating to Pittsburgh in droves. 1811, the city began producing steamboats for travelers heading into the wilderness; in 1812 the produced steel; and in 1818 the first major bridge. In 1819, the Pittsburgh Academy becomes the sister school of Penn in Philadelphia. By 1820 the PA turnpike was built to connect Philadelphia to Pittsburgh; in 1834 the PA canal served the same purpose (an act that may have saved both cities). By 1835 locomotives were being built in a city that was characterized by its "East Coast" styled Greek Revival architecture....a city that was destroyed in 1845 by a great fire.

City of Pittsburgh before its burning:

Old 08-16-2009, 12:23 PM

16 posts, read 81,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugatu View Post
I didn't read this whole thread, but I have to laugh at the "tough as nails" comment. Before I moved to Pittsburgh, I thought it was a tough town based on it's reputation. But after living up here for 2 years, that couldn't be farther from the truth. Pittsburghers are some of the most sheltered and wimpy people I've ever met. Nothing wrong with that, but I that was my biggest surprise when I moved up here because I really thought the people here would be like their reputation.
Translation:Pittsburgh is not filled with obnoxious a$$holes like Philly.

Old 03-27-2010, 01:10 AM

16,265 posts, read 42,980,152 times
I've recently visited both cities - Philly and Pitts, and loved both of them.

I did feel that Pittsburgh has more interesting options - i.e. rowhomes or hills or flat areas or on and on at all kinds of prices - low and high.

Seems like Philadelphia I'd have to be much more conscious/aware of where to live and moreso, where not to live. I loved the city center and south philly areas in Philly...although seems like if lived there, you'd be 'in the city' most of the time, and a bit more unlikely to get out of that area.

On the other hand, I love the density of CC/South Philly...so I could see myself living there and never really wanting to leave much - except for an occassional direct bus/train to Manhattan once every few months for a change of pace.

Whereas I can see if I lived in Pitts, I'd probably be all over the city all the time. It just seems to have more variety, variation, and a slight need as well to move around more.

--

Anyways, I'm more curious others' input, and hoping to hear more response.

Old 03-27-2010, 10:09 AM

660 posts, read 1,643,115 times
Why not go with what the experts say?.....

*Rand-McNalley's Places Rated chose Pittsburgh as America's #1 Most Livable City.
*USA Today's Annual Travel Report picked Pittsburgh #2 in USA's 10 Most Beautiful Places in America
*Philadelphia was chosen by Forbes as the #1 Most Miserable City.
*Philadelphia was selected the "Fattest City in the USA"

Old 03-27-2010, 10:47 AM

32,770 posts, read 35,991,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTurner View Post
Why not go with what the experts say?.....
*Philadelphia was selected the "Fattest City in the USA"
Hmmm, Forbes picked Memphis.

In Pictures: America's Most Obese Cities - Forbes.com

Old 03-27-2010, 03:07 PM

419 posts, read 445,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman89 View Post
Philly is far better for the tourist or to visit.

-There is more to do downtown.
-There are more educational and historical attractions.
-public transportation is better.
-you don't have to interact with people.
-There are a lot of nightclubs and bars...
-It is easier to find your way around.
-Theres more novelty(cheesesteaks, Rocky stairs, Franklin institute)
-diverse cultural experiances
but:

-There is also a lot of crime..which if you want to go for walk on a summer night makes things more dangerous.
-The schools are **** poor.
-Is there really a massive differance from one nightclub to the next.
-Taxes are high.
-Let's not kid ourselves..Philly is diverse..but it is segregated. People live in their own areas and there isn't a lot of interaction.
-cheesesteaks are not something to eat daily.
-You have to live a life..everything isnt shopping and parties.
-at the end of the season the football team will always dissapoint.

Pittsburgh is more for living.
-open and friendly people
-better schools
-lower taxes
-There is going to be growing industry in a cheaper town..it's better for the entrepeneur(I know of my spelling).
-crime is low.
-There is still a lot to do downtown which will be better if you are living in a place and should have a bit of familiarity.
-the Steelers will always be great.

But:
-For a one day tour or a weekend..it can be a bit dull.
-Awkward conversations are more likely with locals.
-its harder to find your way around.
-public transportation is lacking.

Philly is an east coast city that will always be big..right alongside NYC and DC.

Pittsburgh is a midwest(don't throw your geography at me) city that collapsed with the steel industry but has a bit more potential.

Philly is near the ocean but I think people keep discrediting the Great Lakes. Has anyone ever been one of the great lakes?

The have seagulls, boats, beaches, sand, fun, and the only real differance from the ocean is that they dont have salt and don't produce hurricanes.

They are in the same climate so the only reak differance is precipitation and maybe 4 or 5 degrees.
Not a bad post. I kind of agree. But what is wrong with akward conversations with other humans? I sometimes read that on this forum that the midwest (or Pittsburgh) is a weird place because people can just be open with each other. Are people to important and self obsorbed on the east coast to interact with other human beings or something?

Also, Pittsburgh hasn't collapsed. It has changed and is still around and kicken regardless of what Philly people think.

Pittsburgh can also keep you entertained for a weekend if you have the internet and know how to google search attractions before coming here. There are a lot of people who travel, sit in hotels, never go out and actually see the town's attractions, and then go online to make judgements of that town with their fine knowledge of being there.

Old 03-27-2010, 03:43 PM

419 posts, read 445,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ainulinale View Post
The true mark of ignorance concerning Pittsburgh. Let me start off by saying that Pittsburgh is not a Midwestern city in any respect. It is East Coast-Appalachia.

(1) Architecture/Structure: Much of the core of Pittsburgh was laid out from 1770-; and thus, demonstrates the typical chaotic and narrow layout found on the East Coast. Approximately 1/3 of Pittsburgh's population lived in the row house neighborhoods --the staple housing of the East Coast, and not found in other regions of the U.S. save San Francisco.

(2) Culture: A Gastil study in the 70s concluded that Pittsburgh is in the same general cultural region as most of PA and all of South Jersey.

(3) Demographics: The staple demographic of the Northeast...heavy Italian population remains consistent in Pittsburgh. Midwestern cities that supposedly have such high concentrations of Italians (like Detroit or Chicago) are actually at or below the national average of 6%....while metro Pittsburgh has 16%.

(4) Appalachia: Pittsburgh is tied very tightly to coal; is located within Appalachia's historical boundaries; topographically Appalachia; accent is most similar to the Highland Southern accent of the Appalachia region.

(5) History: People keep mentioning what a Victorian city Pittsburgh is...which is true; and while it is not nearly as old as Philadelphia, Boston or New York, it also has a rich Georgian-era history:

First discovered in the 1660s; became a fur trading post on the frontier in the early 1700s; became a fort/frontier town in the middle 1700s.

Yet, by late 1780s, Pittsburgh had begun to shed it's frontier town status...1786 the cities first newspaper, the Post-Gazette came into existence. 1787 the first university was chartered (which is know today as Pitt). 1797 saw glass manufacturing, and had 60 shops; people from Boston, NYC, and Phila. were migrating to Pittsburgh in droves. 1811, the city began producing steamboats for travelers heading into the wilderness; in 1812 the produced steel; and in 1818 the first major bridge. In 1819, the Pittsburgh Academy becomes the sister school of Penn in Philadelphia. By 1820 the PA turnpike was built to connect Philadelphia to Pittsburgh; in 1834 the PA canal served the same purpose (an act that may have saved both cities). By 1835 locomotives were being built in a city that was characterized by its "East Coast" styled Greek Revival architecture....a city that was destroyed in 1845 by a great fire.

Why can't more post be like this? Informative and well thought out. I never knew of the 1845 Pittsburgh fire actually.

Old 03-27-2010, 08:15 PM

1,051 posts, read 2,601,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ainulinale View Post

This post sounds more like East Coast envy than objective opinion... Either way though, its pure fantasy. NO ONE who has actually lived in both cities would agree... and btw... there is nothing wrong with being a Midwestern city.

As some one born and raised in the Philly metro, who has resided in the Pittsburgh Metro for many years I feel qualified to compare the two great cities.

I'll start by saying that I prefer Pittsburgh. The Pittsburgh "Bang-for-your-buck" is much higher... meaning Pittsburgh has everything I need combined with a super low cost of living... Philly has more "stuff", but who cares... having 15 malls instead of 5 doesn't help me, but a $600k Philly house for $200k in Pittsburgh really excites me.

That said...

(1) Architecture/Structure: nothing at all alike... Philly is 95% row homes 5% single detached homes... Pittsburgh is 95% single detached homes 5% row-homes... Use google maps and click on any random street in Pittsburgh and see detached homes... click on any random street in Philly and see row homes... seriously, try it.

(2) Culture: Any one who has lived in both cities would laugh at any study that claimed the Pitt and Phil have similar cultures... Pittsburgh people will hold the door for you and say good morning... in Philly you might get punched in the face for looking at some one the wrong way.

(3) Demographics: The staple demographic of the Northeast is not Italian... it's hordes of Blacks, hordes of Italians, hordes of Irish, some Asians, and plenty of plain white people... The staple Pittsburgh demographic is plain white people and plain black people... In Phill,y Italian is nothing like Pittsburgh Italian. Pittsburgh Italian is a check box on the census... Philly Italian is literally Sopranos Guito... Go to south Philly and you'll hear things like... I hate white people, cause I'm not white, I'm Italian... Philly Irish is bag-pipe Boston... Does Pittsburgh even have an Irish neighborhood... Philly Black has lots of ghetto, but there also exists a significant black middle class and even a black upper class There is an entire black power structure that actually controls the city. Pittsburgh black is mostly ghetto, with some small slivers of black middle class.

At the end of the day Pittsburgh is nothing like Philly. It seems the only people who think so are always Pittsburgh natives who have never lived in Philly, but think that somehow the East Coast is good while the Midwest is bad... I don't get it. Yes the East Coast is way bigger, way richer, and has way more stuff... but that doesn't make it better. It makes it more congested, more expensive, and more jaded... You Pittsburgh natives should be proud to be Midwestern...

In my opinion, Philly is much "cooler", but Pittsburgh is much more practical and livable.

Last edited by zip95; 03-27-2010 at 08:55 PM..

Old 03-27-2010, 08:39 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,694,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zip95 View Post
objective opinion
lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh