Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2007, 12:44 PM

3 posts, read 8,523 times

Advertisements

my husband MIGHT be taking a job in pittsburgh with a coal mining company. he is a chemist and would be running tests to make sure that the company is within EPA guidelines. we are both environmentalists, though i use the term loosely, as in my opinion, no one living in a house, running electricity, driving a car, etc. can really be that big of an environmentalist. however, knowing the bad reputation that mining has, and the impacts it has on our earth, i feel somewhat torn about this job. even though his specific job seems like it's doing good, he is still working for a coal company, right?? then again, i run my heat and use electricity, so aren't i therefore supporting the coal industry already?? i am posting this for some honest opinions. not that i would let anyone make this decision for my husband and i, but i thought it couldn't hurt to gather some outside opinions, and maybe shed some light on an aspect i have not thought of yet. thanks so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2007, 02:33 PM

487 posts, read 1,380,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinenjim View Post
If you are into the enviornment, then stay where you are because it's better than Pittsburgh. I can say this because Pittsburgh is the worst city in the country for air and water pollution. You will be appalled and frustrated living there.

There are so many reasons not to move to the Pittsburgh area that I won't bother mentioning them. Just study the Pittsburgh boards on this site and see for yourself. The place is an unbelievable horror. It stands as a living monument to mankind's disregard for the planet's health. It is a dark, intimidating, scary city.

I am happy to say that I have left that awful place for now. I will only be "summering" there from now on. I just got a condo in Myrtle Beach and I'm thrilled to be away from Darktown. I feel as if I just emerged from a cave I had been trapped in for the entire 29 years of my existence. I traded in dead trees, frigid, damp, cold weather, polluted rivers and black skies for live oaks draped with spanish moss, warm weather, the intracoastal waterway and sunshine almost everyday. Couldn't be happier.

Do yourself a favor and avoid Darktown. It will be the smartest decision of your life.
" ... and THAT is what I think of coal mines. "

Old 02-14-2007, 02:45 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
Secret,

Look at it as an opportunity for your husband to have a positive impact on the environment by seeing to it that the company follows EPA standards. I used to deal with the EPA and DEP when I worked for an oil and gas company. When we had a well blow salt water all over the place, the DEP and EPA made darn sure the company restored the environment. Trust me, the damage to the environment can be major if a company doesn't follow EPA guidelines. Instead of considering his job as affiliated with destroying the enivronment, look at his job as an opportunity to help protect the environment.

Last edited by Hopes; 02-14-2007 at 02:59 PM..

Old 02-14-2007, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bboy36win View Post
" ... and THAT is what I think of coal mines. "
Too funny! Thanks for the laugh!

Old 02-14-2007, 03:15 PM

632 posts, read 1,739,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinenjim View Post
If you are into the enviornment, then stay where you are because it's better than Pittsburgh. I can say this because Pittsburgh is the worst city in the country for air and water pollution. You will be appalled and frustrated living there.
And here I thought you'd been booted off this site, Jim.

Just couldn't stay away from us fabulous Pittsburghers for too long, could you?

Old 02-14-2007, 06:37 PM

487 posts, read 1,380,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by secret View Post
my husband MIGHT be taking a job in pittsburgh with a coal mining company. he is a chemist and would be running tests to make sure that the company is within EPA guidelines. we are both environmentalists, though i use the term loosely, as in my opinion, no one living in a house, running electricity, driving a car, etc. can really be that big of an environmentalist. however, knowing the bad reputation that mining has, and the impacts it has on our earth, i feel somewhat torn about this job. even though his specific job seems like it's doing good, he is still working for a coal company, right?? then again, i run my heat and use electricity, so aren't i therefore supporting the coal industry already?? i am posting this for some honest opinions. not that i would let anyone make this decision for my husband and i, but i thought it couldn't hurt to gather some outside opinions, and maybe shed some light on an aspect i have not thought of yet. thanks so much.
I, personally, would be more concerned about the maturity of the industry than I would be about any sort of ethical implications of working in that industry.

Old 02-14-2007, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bboy36win View Post
I, personally, would be more concerned about the maturity of the industry than I would be about any sort of ethical implications of working in that industry.
His line of work will transfer well to any industry.

Old 02-14-2007, 10:54 PM

500 posts, read 2,859,549 times
I live in New York City but have visited Pittsburgh and had a great impression of the city. I would much rather live there than in Myrtle Beach!

They've got good museums which is what I like, they've got some nice architecture which I also like, I don't mind the cold in the winter because it's just natural and... well... I don't know. I visited Pittsburgh and liked it a lot.

Of course, nobody could move me away from Manhattan. Ever!

Old 02-15-2007, 12:47 AM

8 posts, read 83,433 times
Chinenjim - I'd love to quote you but it hurts to even repeat it.

Let me start with the right to an opinion remark. Yeah, this is a free country, freedom of speech, but please get your facts correct. Please show me where the air in Pittsburgh is worse than LA. You can't see the bloody skyline because of the smog.

And yes, Pittsburgh was the heart of the steel industry in this country once upon a time. That coupled with the other damaging industries in the area took it's heavy toll on the soil and environment overall. But please do a search for most polluted cities in the US, most contaminated in the US, and visit the EPA website and type in Pittsburgh in the search field. If you know what a Brownfield is, you'll see that the EPA is heavily monitoring the cleanup initiatives of that problem.

And to the young lady that started this forum - I hope you go. You're husband would be doing some good work,helping to fix a problem that was caused by prior abuse (and it still is going on). If he didn't take the job because he would be working for a coal company, well, that would be like me saying I'll never work for a white guy because of slavery. Not going to happen and it would be silly to make a decision solely based on that. Shouldn't even come up. You sort of alluded to it in your post when you defined environmentalists. I don't agree with it, but if your not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

Old 02-15-2007, 04:32 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,727,132 times
Stay on topic. Please.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh