Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2009, 08:38 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturdayskids View Post
yuppies? fox chapel.
No way. Fox Chapel is old money. Yuppies are YOUNG professionals. There's very little young about Fox Chapel!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2009, 09:50 PM

294 posts, read 659,245 times
Sewickley Borough is becoming a sort of yuppie central. Its got the feel of an upscale city neighborhood like Squirrel Hill/Shadyside minus the crime and traffic.

Plus a very convenient location as it is an easy commute to Robinson/Airport, Cranberry/Wexford, and Pittsburgh.

Old 11-29-2009, 11:22 AM

269 posts, read 1,054,715 times
Liberal/yuppie stores will lead you to the right neighborhoods. The only Whole Foods in Pittsburgh is located east of Shadyside which is convenient to Shadyside, Sq Hill, Point Breeze, etc (East End neighborhoods). They are opening one in Wexford so that might be on the list.
Less yuppie but more liberal would be the East End Coop just north of Regent Square (again close to the East End neighborhoods).
High end shopping - Tiffany & Co, Louis Vuitton, Cole Haan are all in Ross Park Mall (North Hills). Less high end but equally yuppie can be found in Shadyside and the South Hills (Banana republic, ann taylor, etc). There's an Anthropolgie in the South Hills Mall but then there's also a Talbots, Coldwater Creek, and Chico's so that doesn't scream young to me. Shadyside has a bunch of high end boutiques so it would get my vote as your ideal neighborhood.
I guess I'd fall into the liberal/yuppie category and my favorite neighborhood by far is Point Breeze, not for the the shopping but for location and overall neighborhood appeal.

Old 11-29-2009, 12:45 PM

226 posts, read 588,555 times
I would have thought that South Side Works is the mothership for all things yuppie...

Old 11-30-2009, 12:55 AM

1,104 posts, read 2,591,078 times
I would say the farther out you go (outside of Allegheny County, that is) you will find less of a yuppie culture and more old school appeal. Cranberry is not yuppie central, neither is Wexford, or Bethel Park. Those areas are growing tremendously but they seem to cater more towards families than young professionals. Frankly, the only areas you're going to find a lot of young professionals are in the city, or in the extreme inner suburbs like Shadyside or Sewickley.

Old 11-30-2009, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neurodistortion View Post
I would say the farther out you go (outside of Allegheny County, that is) you will find less of a yuppie culture and more old school appeal. Cranberry is not yuppie central, neither is Wexford, or Bethel Park. Those areas are growing tremendously but they seem to cater more towards families than young professionals. Frankly, the only areas you're going to find a lot of young professionals are in the city, or in the extreme inner suburbs like Shadyside or Sewickley.
Shadyside isn't a suburb, and I wouldn't call Sewickley an extreme inner suburb. But I agree with everything you've said.

Old 11-30-2009, 07:05 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,012,123 times
Since one of the two standard elongations of yuppies is "young urban professionals", it makes sense you would see less of them outside of Pittsburgh's urban core (the City itself and some inner suburbs).

Old 11-30-2009, 12:38 PM

4,359 posts, read 7,529,010 times
Here is my take on Pittsburgh. Unless you move to a new housing plan you won't really find a suburb overloaded with young people. Frankly, we are an old city and younger families are spread out all over the place. I would think that Shadyside would be the best fit. Since you have a lot of grad students, young college grads living there and younger people who are new to the area and are working at Pitt, CMU or UPMC. As a whole I would consider this is a yuppie area.

If you use yuppie as a merely a young person with money and are looking to live in a suburb I would try Sewickley or Fox Chapel. It is true that they are old money areas but in addition to baby boomers with old money you have their kids who are now running the family business, and you also have new money, in Pittsburgh this primarily means doctors, who live there too. Frankly, it all depends on your definition of yuppie. For me a yuppie is pretty affluent person under the age of 40.

Old 11-30-2009, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robrobrob View Post
FFor me a yuppie is pretty affluent person under the age of 40.
That definition does tend to shift a bit as people gets older.

Old 11-30-2009, 06:33 PM

89 posts, read 218,091 times
To me, there is no such thing as a good suburb. Mt. Lebanon, Millvale, and Oakmont are decent - though they don't necessarily fit the stereotype of a sprawling, faceless suburb.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh