Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 02:03 PM

48 posts, read 243,585 times

Advertisements

Can someone tell me what the best suburbs are Pittsburgh are? I am looking for something nice, quiet, kind of liberal with young couples, gay couples, etc. Kind of a "yuppie" area I guess. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2008, 02:16 PM

12 posts, read 65,256 times
Hmmm... That's tough. I lived in Cranberry, but wouldn't recommend if you enjoy going out on the weekends. It is 30 minutes.....maybe 20-25 if you are a speed demon. I live in the North part of Cranberry. If you live right off 228 you'd be ok.

Back to your question.... Pittsburgh is tricky the demographics are a tad old. So every yuppie suburb is kind of mixed with old. Shadyside seems like what you want, but it's in the city. Robinson Township is fairly young, I know lots of younger people who live there (25-30 demographic) but it doesn't have the yuppie type bars....

Everything is trade-off...

North Hills is young and is close to the strip, that would be probably your best bet. Plus you can move around the North Hills easier than the South....no tunnels and you get HOV lanes!

Old 10-15-2008, 02:24 PM

29,739 posts, read 34,357,220 times
There seem to be many yuppies/young families in Mt. Lebanon.

Old 10-15-2008, 03:31 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
^^Ditto Wexford.

Old 10-15-2008, 06:49 PM

1,758 posts, read 4,228,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by healinghands View Post
Can someone tell me what the best suburbs are Pittsburgh are? I am looking for something nice, quiet, kind of liberal with young couples, gay couples, etc. Kind of a "yuppie" area I guess. Thanks.

You may have to move into the city for that as was mentioned. Mt. Lebanon is an upscale suburb in the South Hills. It is not liberal, but has liberal residents and store owners. To me, "Yuppie" means more conservative. It is possible to be yuppie and be liberal, I guess. My image of a "yuppie" is someone who puts emphasis on material things, which tends to be a conservative trait. Not to sterotype, of course. I know that you mean a certain yuppie "feel" to the neighborhood. Here are a few. Oakmont-Shadyside-Squirrel Hill-Highland Park-Regent Square-South Side.

Old 10-15-2008, 06:54 PM

12,529 posts, read 17,536,827 times
I lived in Mt. Lebo and still have a lot of friends there. It's not as snobbish as some think. Hell, I lived there for 3 years was out of work for 9 months and made the least amount of money in my life. If you have kids you get a GREAT bang for your buck. I could walk to so many things and grab the T or a bus to get downtown. Now I'm out in the Great White North and have to drive 2 miles just to get a beer. What the hell happened? Oh, yeah, I married a girl from the north.

Old 10-16-2008, 06:15 AM

85 posts, read 519,856 times
Mt. Lebo would be your kinda spot I'd say... Or else maybe even the North Hills.

Old 10-16-2008, 09:38 AM

370 posts, read 1,015,887 times
yuppies? fox chapel.

Old 10-16-2008, 04:54 PM

3 posts, read 23,310 times
I think nuwaver 88 was the closest with Oakmont-Shadyside-Squirrel Hill-Highland Park-Regent Square-South Side. Shadyside is probably the most liberal/yuppie, but is also the most expensive (Squirrel Hill is a close second with high housing costs). I've lived in both Shadyside & Squirrel Hill; out of all of the areas listed above, Squirrel Hill and Oakmont are the safest in my opinion. Highland Park is the least safe- both Highland Park and Shadyside are right next to East Liberty, which is a high-crime part of the city. You may also want to check out Point Breeze...it's a really cute area near Shadyside that's a bit cheaper but still convenient to cafes, etc. All of these towns are in the city except for Oakmont.

Old 11-28-2009, 07:50 PM

1 posts, read 18,219 times
What about Bethel Park?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh