U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2007, 02:57 PM

43,011 posts, read 104,083,257 times

Advertisements

Whether it's the suburbs or the city, what I love about Pittsburgh is the people!

I wouldn't move from my house for anything because I've got the absolute best neighbors! They do anything for one another.

There is a man in our neighborhood who used to fix all of our cars----for free! He now has health problems so all of the neighbors take turns cutting his lawn. It's not even a schedule. Just whenever someone is cutting their grass, they'll go over and cut his too.

As a matter of fact, we all cut each other's grass! Whenever we go on vacation, we always come home to find our grass cut! We never know who does it. And when any of our neighbors go away on vacation, my husband will cut their grass too and they never know who does it. This is a neighborhood tradition, not something just done between a few select families.

There was an empty lot where a house burned down and we all maintained it by cutting the grass. You just don't see neglected, overgrown lots here in my neighborhood because the entire neighborhood takes care of those things all on their own. We don't wait for the township to come in and maintain something. We don't complain to the township about someone neglecting their property. It's unnecessary because we all take care of each other.

Speaking of the house that burned down.....The night it went up in flames, my house was in danger of catching on fire. After I evacuated my family, I took our dogs, opened our neighbor's door and just let them into their house. It was 3 AM in the morning! I didn't have to ring their bell or anything. I knew it was okay to just put my dogs into their house!

Which brings me to the dogs....My neighbors actually come into our house and take the dogs out and feed them if they notice we don't get back into town on time from a day trip! How cool is that?!?! We don't need to tell them that we're going anywhere. They just notice that we haven't been home and they let the dogs out. Of course, we usually kennel our dogs, but sometimes we end up detained from a day trip because of car trouble or whatever. It's so nice to know that our neighbors pay attention enough to notice that we're not around when we'd normally be around.

Once when the main sewer line went, my husband started digging up the yard. I left for the store and came back to find 6 neighbors helping him dig up the yard too! They all spent the entire day with my husband digging! He didn't ask them to do it; they just did it! The same thing happened years ago when we were digging up the house to install a french drain.

Our neighbors get involved in our home improvements. We help them with theirs. Nobody asks. It just happens whenever we see one another working on a project, we all just grab our stuff and go help out.

Anyone who thinks that the suburbs doesn't have soul clearly hasn't lived in my neighborhood!

I can't talk about what I like about Pittsburgh without mentioning how Pittsburghers are polite drivers. Even during rush hour, Pittsburghers take turns merging in traffic! And there's rarely horn blowing too! Newcomers always comment on the polite drivers. I guess it's not the norm for the rest of the country.

Perhaps I'll add more later because I could go on and on about wonderful Pittsburghers!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2007, 03:22 PM

31 posts, read 124,884 times
Yeah, we agree. There are some really good people here. Also, the cost of living is great when you compare it to other cities. I love the Steelers too. One thing that is nice about Pittsburgh is the blue-collar mentality. It can be seen as a good and bad thing.
Being on the film board here in Pittsburgh has given me some interesting perspective though... I think the entertainment sector is highly underused given the potential of the town (in terms of landscape) etc. It's a good place to raise your kids. In addition, Pittsburgh has some excellent school and medical facilities! UPMC is awesome.

Old 02-17-2007, 03:24 PM

90,351 posts, read 115,757,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Whether it's the suburbs or the city, what I love about Pittsburgh is the people!
Anyone who thinks that the suburbs doesn't have soul clearly hasn't lived in my neighborhood!
Perhaps I'll add more later because I could go on and on about wonderful Pittsburghers!
I agree with your opinion about suburbs. I lived lived in several, including Beaver Falls, PA. Pittsburgh has a lot of nice ones, and the housing prices are reasonable. Even at the higher end, prices are about 1/2 of what they are in metro Denver.

Old 02-18-2007, 07:52 AM

43,011 posts, read 104,083,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post
I agree with your opinion about suburbs.
I love the city neighborhoods too. I was merely saying that the suburbs can have soul too.

This isn't a suburbs vs. city thread. It's just about the best of Pittsburgh.

I think one of the best things about Pittsburgh is the people regardless of where they hang their hats.

Old 02-20-2007, 07:14 AM

45 posts, read 232,327 times
I love Pittsburgh because it is totally encased in clouds for 300 days a year and I/we can check off skin cancer,usually,as a disease around here.
We only have roughly 50 sunny days per year and it is gloomy,but I love the people here.You can walk to any corner in the area,stop and talk to a total stranger and always have a short or long conversation.Rudeness is confined to some auto drivers.
I have visited many places in the world and you will see the sun,but the people are not nearly as kind and friendly.You can take the aforementioned to the bank.

Old 02-28-2007, 12:31 PM

1,233 posts, read 3,327,185 times
The city has a soul, not found in many areas I had to live in for the last decade or so...We hope to move back this summer, for good.

Old 03-07-2007, 02:58 PM

3 posts, read 2,630 times
The best of Pittsburgh?

-No bugs for 9 months out of the year
-Never a shortage of water
-No need to ever spend money on sunscreen
- You can be a chain smoker and never use your astray in your car...and fit right in
-Your turn signal lights will never burn out (although your headlights and windshield wipers will get one hell of a workout).
-No need to wash your car. It will just get dirty again 3 miles down the road so why bother?
-It's fun to see where things used to be, and where stuff used to happen
-If you own stock in an automotive company that manufactures brake pads, you will love the fact that Pittsburgh exists.
-It's fun to count the Catholic church steeples.
-Pittsburgh is home to the "world's biggest cloud", which streches from one end of the horizon to the other usually all the time.
-When you do go out of town and look up at the stars (for pittsburghers, stars are shiny dots in the sky. Some of them are planets, and others are dying suns from distant galaxies) it will blow your mind.

Old 03-28-2007, 08:48 AM

10,203 posts, read 26,331,826 times
A new and what sounds like an exciting restaurant on the South Side:

http://www.popcitymedia.com/developmentnews/54libry.aspx (broken link)

Old 04-16-2007, 05:32 PM

149 posts, read 590,434 times
I just know that when I lived in Pittsburgh, I sunbathed a lot--before they had tanning beds, etc. Being a native 'burgh girl, we didn't really care about how tan a guy was (thus, without the tan, they could still be "handsome hunky")

Anyways, the best of Pittsburgh is always the people. The landscapes, architecture, FOOD, beers (yes, I really DO miss my IC Light--not the biggest connoisseur), are all big on my list; but the people ARE the best!

Last edited by Yac; 04-18-2007 at 03:47 PM.. Reason: quote removed, referred to a deleted post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh