Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 06:32 PM

3,131 posts, read 9,371,085 times

Advertisements

The first sign I ever saw regarding running a red light was on Penn Avenue downtown about 50 years ago. It was on Penn and 10th(?) heading towards the Strip. It read, "Right Turn Keep Moving." I couldn't wait to get my license so I could drive down there and do that.

I think at first most of our lights permitted right turn on red then as time passed the signs kept going up to the point it seems the law around here should be no turn on red unless there's a sign permitting it.

In Penn Hills at Frankstown and Rodi Roads they used to put the sign up and take it down every week or so after it had been permitted to make the turn for a long time. It's a T intersection so making the turn on red is no problem. They did it intentionally to ticket motorists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2008, 06:49 PM

67 posts, read 233,568 times
Where in the city were you? I've only seen the LED "No Turn On Red" signs at a handful of intersections--Forbes and Shady is one. I think they're generally used when turning right on red is allowed at certain times and not others.

Old 10-27-2008, 02:01 AM

1,045 posts, read 2,222,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcsinpgh View Post
Where in the city were you? I've only seen the LED "No Turn On Red" signs at a handful of intersections--Forbes and Shady is one. I think they're generally used when turning right on red is allowed at certain times and not others.
Actually most of the intersections downtown on Liberty Ave and also Grant Street all have the LED no turn lights. They come on at predetermined times (rush hours, etc)

Old 10-27-2008, 07:27 PM

165 posts, read 662,834 times
They have the permanent signs all over the place. There is one on forbes and morewood ( no LED there). Another at Beechwood ave and greenfield. There everywhere!!!!!

Old 10-27-2008, 07:55 PM

2,193 posts, read 5,801,316 times
Yes, there are quite a lot of these "no turn on red" signs in this region, and they are usually put up, under any one of several different factors, for everyone's safety. Drivers, bicyclists and pedestrians alike.

Old 10-28-2008, 08:47 AM

3,164 posts, read 6,700,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4guy View Post
What is with that? I was there over the weekend and every stop light says no turn on red.
That's not true, some of the busier intersections do not allow turns during certain posted hours, but not every light.

Old 10-28-2008, 09:33 AM

73 posts, read 343,050 times
I was told a few years back that it is also legal to make a LEFT hand turn on red if you are turning onto a one-way street. Anybody know anyone who could verify if this is true?

Old 10-28-2008, 11:25 AM

2,193 posts, read 5,801,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdb06 View Post
I was told a few years back that it is also legal to make a LEFT hand turn on red if you are turning onto a one-way street. Anybody know anyone who could verify if this is true?
It's already been discussed in this thread. Yes, it's true. And yes, it's legal in some spots.

Old 10-28-2008, 11:42 AM

29,739 posts, read 34,357,220 times
Quote:
I've only seen the LED "No Turn On Red" signs at a handful of intersections--Forbes and Shady is one.
What this intersection needs more than anything is a left-turn arrow. Forbes and Murray, too.

Old 10-28-2008, 12:31 PM

84 posts, read 411,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
What this intersection needs more than anything is a left-turn arrow. Forbes and Murray, too.
I couldn't agree more. I have sat through like 4 red lights at this intersection either behind people wanting to turn or myself wanting to turn. It SUCKS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh