Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2008, 08:20 PM

570 posts, read 1,413,218 times

Advertisements

What do you think. Is it a good thing that the owner of the Pittsburgh Steelers welcomes Senator Obama to Pittsburgh and showcases his personal support of Obama for presidency with the official colors of the Pittsburgh Steelers. Is a good thing for Gov Palin to drop the puck at a NHL hockey game?

We all know we have no ownership, even no say with any of the professional sports teams and how they operate. But I sure get a sour feeling seeing this connection with any candidate. Professional sport to me is an escape from the very thing politics is. To me sport is a sacred ground so to speak. But then again one can say professional sport is no longer just sport and entertainment, that it is truly big business. I suggest if it is considered big business, then it be taxed and treated the same as big business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2008, 08:45 PM

3,131 posts, read 9,388,874 times
Did he wave black and gold stuff? Aren't those also the city colors? If he was out just as an individual not particularly acting like the Steeler's chief, I think so what. He has a right to a personal life and wasn't hurting anyone.

There's no room for politics in sports and I think the Pros are wise enough to know that. If all the Steelers were Democrats and going to vote for Obama I'd stop watching them.

Old 10-27-2008, 08:52 PM

PeterR. I just caught on the local news Dan Rooney welcoming Obama this afternoon at the civic arena up on stage in front of a packed house and giving Obama a Steelers Jersey with Obama's name on it and the number 08. The crowd of course went into it's 'here we go steelers here we go' chant.
While I'm a Steeler's fan, I find it very much a negative the owner of the Steelers infused his personal choice with team colors.

Old 10-27-2008, 09:11 PM

394 posts, read 1,432,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLobster View Post
What do you think. Is it a good thing that the owner of the Pittsburgh Steelers welcomes Senator Obama to Pittsburgh and showcases his personal support of Obama for presidency with the official colors of the Pittsburgh Steelers. Is a good thing for Gov Palin to drop the puck at a NHL hockey game?

We all know we have no ownership, even no say with any of the professional sports teams and how they operate. But I sure get a sour feeling seeing this connection with any candidate. Professional sport to me is an escape from the very thing politics is. To me sport is a sacred ground so to speak. But then again one can say professional sport is no longer just sport and entertainment, that it is truly big business. I suggest if it is considered big business, then it be taxed and treated the same as big business.
I say no to Palin dropping the puck at a Pens game. Not for political reasons, but because the home team has struggled in both games that she did. She might be a jinx haha.

Old 10-27-2008, 09:28 PM

134 posts, read 563,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersFan09 View Post
I say no to Palin dropping the puck at a Pens game. Not for political reasons, but because the home team has struggled in both games that she did. She might be a jinx haha.
I'm all for it as long as the 3rd period is cancelled....

Old 10-27-2008, 09:33 PM

Location: Just East of the Southern Portion of the Western Part of PA
1,272 posts, read 3,713,440 times
Most of the Rooneys are McCain supporters - Dan is the exception.

Old 10-27-2008, 09:39 PM

Guess Obama got the one that counts, the one with the jersey.

Old 10-27-2008, 09:39 PM

394 posts, read 1,432,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mister brewski View Post
I'm all for it as long as the 3rd period is cancelled....
haha yeah...with how the 3rd period's have turned out against the Caps and Rangers, I can see why you feel that way.

Old 10-28-2008, 09:43 PM

Guess the Rooney-Obama love affair continues. Thursday night will be a free concert featuring 'Rusted Root' and free hot dogs for all Obama campaign workers and supporters. Being held at Heinz Field of course. If your a Republican or Indi, well go see if the Browns will let you in ! The above is being reported in the Post Gazette.

Old 10-29-2008, 04:47 PM

135 posts, read 224,475 times
Rusted Root! They're still around and playing in the area? Last time I saw them was years ago I believe in Cleveland and I haven't heard anything about them pretty much since. Guess they just haven't had the radio hits?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
View detailed profiles of: