Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 04:22 PM

48 posts, read 243,585 times

Advertisements

Think Sewickley, something with charm, maybe closer, also looking for a condo rental. Help. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2008, 04:38 PM

42 posts, read 114,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by healinghands View Post
Think Sewickley, something with charm, maybe closer, also looking for a condo rental. Help. Thanks.
Mt. Lebanon might not be bad: walkable neighborhood with a main street that has some decent restaurants, on the T-line to the city, interesting non-McMansion architecture. Still, you'd raise some eyebrows walking hand-in-hand with another man (although lesbians might be more tolerated).

Generally speaking, "gay friendly", "suburb", and "Pittsburgh" don't go together very well. "Gay tolerant" is another story, even in very conservative areas like Upper St. Clair and Peter's Township.

You'll have much better luck looking at city neighborhoods: Shadyside, Point Breeze, Squirrel Hill, Regent Square, and South Side.

Old 11-02-2008, 04:56 PM

22,560 posts, read 47,614,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staash View Post

Generally speaking, "gay friendly", "suburb", and "Pittsburgh" don't go together very well. "Gay tolerant" is another story, even in very conservative areas like Upper St. Clair and Peter's Township.

I was thinking most areas are 'gay-apathetic' ...

Old 11-03-2008, 06:49 AM

3,733 posts, read 5,962,766 times
Your best bet for gay-friendly with lots of gay residents are city neighborhoods like Shadyside, Squirrel Hill, Point Breeze, Regent Square, South Side, Mexican War Streets, Allegheny West, and Highland Park. There are gay enclaves in suburbs like Forest Hills, Blackridge, Mt. Lebanon, Dormont, and Sewickley.

Old 11-03-2008, 09:46 AM

60 posts, read 172,210 times
I'd suggest Blackridge, too. Not far from the city and a very nice area with some great homes (Cheap!). Also, people are very friendly and always out walking their dogs or chatting with the neighbors. Definitely Blackridge.

Old 12-10-2008, 09:33 AM

2 posts, read 13,272 times
I wouldn't suggest Mt. Lebanon or Dormont.I live in the area and being gay myself i have dealt with a lot of harassment from plain strangers on the street.

Old 12-10-2008, 01:45 PM

1,758 posts, read 4,228,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariok689 View Post
I'd suggest Blackridge, too. Not far from the city and a very nice area with some great homes (Cheap!). Also, people are very friendly and always out walking their dogs or chatting with the neighbors. Definitely Blackridge.

I thought I knew Pittsburgh and environs, but I have never heard of the neighborhood of Blackridge. Is it a municipality or just a subdivision in a municipality? I have heard of Brackenridge in the Allegheny Valley near New Kensington, but not Blackridge.

Old 12-10-2008, 02:22 PM

22,560 posts, read 47,614,734 times
Blackridge was discussed here...

//www.city-data.com/forum/pitts...lackridge.html

Old 12-10-2008, 05:28 PM

110 posts, read 490,930 times
Dormont and Mt. Lebanon.

Old 05-10-2009, 06:23 AM

4,275 posts, read 7,627,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuwaver88 View Post
I thought I knew Pittsburgh and environs, but I have never heard of the neighborhood of Blackridge. Is it a municipality or just a subdivision in a municipality? I have heard of Brackenridge in the Allegheny Valley near New Kensington, but not Blackridge.
I apologize for bringing this up late. Blackridge is near Churchill, Penn hills and Wilkinsburg. Here is a link. Welcome to the Blackridge Civic Association
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh