Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 10:02 PM

9 posts, read 26,502 times

Advertisements

Hey all...I am new to this site, but live in the Shadyside area.

I am from Philadelphia, and is where I have purchased all of my cars. My new car (well new to me) is looking like it is going to be a 2004 Audi A6 twin turbo with like 60,000 miles. Anyone familiar with cars of the european persuasion, know that getting them serviced out of warranty at an Audi dealership could end up costing you more than you paid for the car. So to get to the bottom line, I am getting a ridiculous deal on this car from our family mechanic who specializes in Audi's and repair, and while that's great I can take it to him when I'm home...I live here.

Does anyone know of an honest, reliable, and reasonable mechanic that specializes in European auto servicing? I'm looking for someone who does the whole 9 yards- oil changes to a timing belt replacement when I need it.

I don't mind traveling (20 minutes tops), but would prefer that it be close by to me in Shadyside.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2008, 03:13 PM

524 posts, read 1,032,182 times
I had an Audi and a Saab at various points in time, and took them both to Tower Auto Service in Blawnox for many years. I would totally trust the guys there. It's right on Freeport Road (old Rt. 28) - go across the Highland Park bridge and up 28 a bit; about 10-15 minutes from Shadyside.

Old 11-14-2008, 02:00 AM

70 posts, read 172,414 times
try this one, on the 21 st street off E casrson street (first left a tiny street, its a way but i dont remember its name, ull find it on ur left hand), Bash auto repair, not fancy but 100 % effective, cost is really what made me happy

Old 11-14-2008, 05:34 AM

911 posts, read 2,368,915 times
just dont go to dean honda
they will take you to the cleaners
and your car will still be broke down
and your wallet will be broke down

Old 11-14-2008, 09:21 AM

892 posts, read 2,385,379 times
Default reposting info posted earlier, for anyone who finds the thread later...

My apologies to all, as a n00b to citydata I let my enthusiasm get ahead of the rules and explicitly mentioned the other online forums an Audi owner might use to research mechanics on the Internet (which was "advertising" them). Lesson learned!

Anyways here is the shop I recommended, leaving out where I heard about it. I'm headed up there myself next week and will report how it goes. I'm optimistic based not only on feedback from others elsewhere online, but also because I called them up and "Jim" who I spoke to was very cool - like he didn't mind at all when I asked specific stuff like whether they use 505.01 spec synthetic (I'm one of those insanely picky VW people).

Foreign Traffic
4813 Rt. 8
Allison Park, PA 15101
http://foreign-traffic.com
rob@foreign-traffic.com

"1 mile south of the PA turnpike on Rt. 8 near the Home Depot"

Old 11-16-2008, 05:02 PM

9 posts, read 26,502 times
Thank you guys. The deal for that car has fallen through...am I now looking at a Volvo S60 AWD. Does anyone know about the Volvo repair guy on Centre Avenue in Oakland? The building looks a little beat up, but it looks like the shop is on the second floor.

Thanks again for all the help!
Alex

Old 11-18-2008, 02:05 PM

85 posts, read 285,888 times
For anyone else reading, I've used Foreign Traffic too with happy results - straight shooters.

Old 11-24-2008, 09:10 PM

892 posts, read 2,385,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleghenyman View Post
For anyone else reading, I've used Foreign Traffic too with happy results - straight shooters.
Yeah now that I'm back from my first service experience with them, I have to back that up with a "ditto". Very friendly, direct and open, easy to talk to, and they didn't even mind a bit when I wanted to take a moment to read over the details of my bill before paying it (man I really hate when anyone has a problem with a customer doing that).

Two thumbs up.

Old 11-25-2008, 10:43 AM

Location: Just East of the Southern Portion of the Western Part of PA
1,272 posts, read 3,695,136 times
An honest foreign car mechanic - are you implying that foreigners are not usually honest?

Old 04-18-2010, 05:37 PM

212 posts, read 638,645 times
German Motor Werks, in the strip, off the 40th st. bridge IIRC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh