Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 10:52 AM

487 posts, read 1,380,839 times

Advertisements

This is interesting. From the Pittsburgh Business Times:

Pittsburgh slipped five spots to 76th in a ranking of the 100 "Best Cities for Jobs" by Forbes magazine.

The city did rank ninth for cost of living, one of five data points used to set the rankings.

In addition to cost of living, Forbes included unemployment rate, job growth, income growth, median household income, all weighted equally. Pittsburgh had a poor showing in income growth, ranking 85th, and was 79th in job growth.

Pittsburgh did outrank Chicago-Naperville-Joliet (82nd), Boston-Quincy (83rd), and Los Angeles-Long Beach-Glendale (88th), as well as rival Cleveland (92nd).

The Raleigh-Cary, N.C., metro rose to first overall from 7th last year while Detroit again placed 100th.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2007, 11:20 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,092,139 times
Can you provide a link to the article?

Old 02-22-2007, 11:57 AM

3,574 posts, read 14,347,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bboy36win View Post

Pittsburgh slipped five spots to 76th in a ranking of the 100 "Best Cities for Jobs" by Forbes magazine.

The city did rank ninth for cost of living, one of five data points used to set the rankings.

In addition to cost of living, Forbes included unemployment rate, job growth, income growth, median household income, all weighted equally. Pittsburgh had a poor showing in income growth, ranking 85th, and was 79th in job growth.

Pittsburgh did outrank Chicago-Naperville-Joliet (82nd), Boston-Quincy (83rd), and Los Angeles-Long Beach-Glendale (88th), as well as rival Cleveland (92nd).

The Raleigh-Cary, N.C., metro rose to first overall from 7th last year while Detroit again placed 100th.
Raleigh-Cary is most of Wake County and together with Durham (Orange county) make up the Research Triangle Park (RTP). Check out http://www.ncgov.com/ Y'all be sweet!

Old 02-22-2007, 06:29 PM

487 posts, read 1,380,839 times
Here is the Forbes article (there's a link to the full table at the bottom):
http://www.forbes.com/leadership/careers/2007/02/15/best-cities-jobs-leadership-careers_cx_hc_0216cityjobs.html (broken link)

And the Pittsburgh Business Times reference to it:
http://pittsburgh.bizjournals.com/pi...l?surround=lfn

Old 02-22-2007, 07:28 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,092,139 times
Thanks! I want to see where I'm moving when my son graduates from high school.

Seriously, I'm not surprised one bit about Pittsburgh losing economic ground.

I guess a low cost of living helps with survival during hard times.

Old 02-24-2014, 07:24 PM

2,236 posts, read 2,978,171 times
Hope job prospects have gotten better.

Old 02-25-2014, 05:04 AM

1,010 posts, read 1,395,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bboy36win View Post

Im not surprised at all by this ranking. Job growth is nonexistant in pittsburgh. Large companies that are here are cutting a lot of workers. There are hardly any business startups as well. This comes back to my point of the 27 to 45 age group being the smallest in the region. This is the group in the prime earning years of their career. Not surprising pittsburgh ranks low in income. Also this is the group trying to expand their career and move forward. Not surprising our job growth ranks very low.

All of these numbers have meaning. We are finding out pittsburgh is a city with limited economic opportunity. The age and demographic numbers mirror that.

Funny we were talking about raliegh and wake county in another thread. Their city and county are very young. I head excuses that it had no character. But the age and demographic numbers tell a different story as they are opposite of ours. There is economic opportunity.

Also,they are doing just fine with one city county school district down there.

Old 02-25-2014, 05:34 AM

1,183 posts, read 2,146,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zman63 View Post
Im not surprised at all by this ranking. Job growth is nonexistant in pittsburgh. Large companies that are here are cutting a lot of workers. There are hardly any business startups as well. This comes back to my point of the 27 to 45 age group being the smallest in the region. This is the group in the prime earning years of their career. Not surprising pittsburgh ranks low in income. Also this is the group trying to expand their career and move forward. Not surprising our job growth ranks very low.

All of these numbers have meaning. We are finding out pittsburgh is a city with limited economic opportunity. The age and demographic numbers mirror that.
Do you have any other moves?

Old 02-25-2014, 05:49 AM

6,358 posts, read 5,059,604 times
i am in grad school. if i do finish by mid 2016 (i might not because ive just had enough of the stress!), i suspect i will start looking for more lucrative opportunities, and will find a better overall living situation elsewhere. that is not my intention, but i feel the pieces for that scenario will just fall into place.

Old 02-25-2014, 06:45 AM

2,093 posts, read 1,927,701 times
Jeeze... isn't that article from 2007?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
View detailed profiles of: