Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 03:21 AM

1,758 posts, read 4,206,916 times

Advertisements

Right Dana! It is too Yinzeresque, the fan base that is. A lot of these people come from podunk towns in the Mon Valley or West Virginia. This is a really a big deal to them to come to Pittsburgh for the big game. Unfortunately, a lot of the people in Allegheny County resemble the West Virginia types to whom I am refering. Watch football and love football. Just don't build your life around it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2008, 04:49 AM

44,937 posts, read 59,929,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuwaver88 View Post
Right Dana! It is too Yinzeresque, the fan base that is. A lot of these people come from podunk towns in the Mon Valley or West Virginia. This is a really a big deal to them to come to Pittsburgh for the big game. Unfortunately, a lot of the people in Allegheny County resemble the West Virginia types to whom I am refering. Watch football and love football. Just don't build your life around it.

That can be said about anywhere, building your life around football. Lead story this AM on all the DC stations-the Redskins game, which took up the first 10 minutes of the broadcast. Friday, and where I work everyone but the custodians have a degree, was a sea of maroon/gold. As are the government offices. I'm a not particularly a football fan so I just watch the festivities.

A question: some of you sound unhappy with your neighbors "lacks" of whatever. Why do you stay?

Old 11-17-2008, 09:20 AM

29,627 posts, read 34,112,869 times
Quote:
Nothing worse than seeing a middle-aged man dressed head to toe in Steeler regalia stumbling down the stairs at a game. Ever been to a game lately? Drunks, drunks, and more drunks.
Some friends got some free Steelers tickets as well, and thought it'd be fun to take their boys to see a game. They were kind of appalled by the behavior and language that the kids were exposed to.

Plus, people go out and watch the game and get wasted and then DRIVE HOME. It's amazing how many people you talk to who either have had a DUI or know people who have had one.

Old 11-17-2008, 01:26 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,672,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuwaver88 View Post
This may sound sacrilegious, but I think that Pittsburgh as whole identifies itself a bit too much with the Steelers.
I agree 100 percent. This city has so much more to offer. Personally I wish they would be sold and shipped out of town.

You seriously need a life if you let a professional sporting event affect your daily demeanor.

Old 11-19-2008, 12:08 PM

85 posts, read 285,747 times
Ask the average Joe what they think about any other US city, however charming, and they will only know what they see on TV, which for most cities is sports.

There are a handful of US cities that have an identity beyond their sports teams - San Francisco because of its beauty, DC because of government, LA because of the film industry, New Orleans because of Mardi Gras, and NYC because of Wall Street. Maybe Seattle because a bunch of romantic comedies were set there or Microsoft is there.

I'm not a huge sports fan but I think the sports fanaticism spills over into civic life in a way that is hugely positive. Do I wish more people paid attention to all of the cultural offerings? Yes, but the same percentage do here as in NY, where I lived for 4 years, or I'd suppose, in DC, Chicago etc.

I love Pittsburgh, but its decline in influence in the past 40 years effected all of us and our families in a deeply personal level - I feel like we're some forgotten European country that used to be a colonial power and can't find a sense of purpose. If the solidarity, sportsmanship and leadership of major league sports gives us that purpose, we've held on to a lot more than some other cities that went through the same decline.

In a country that doesn't build much of anything any more except debt and disposable crap, what else is there to be proud of?

Old 11-19-2008, 01:10 PM

10,220 posts, read 16,734,236 times
which, perhaps, may change a bit now that the film industry is moving into PA. as support a-man's theory, look at scranton. it's increasingly known for the Office.

Old 11-19-2008, 01:24 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,077,807 times
Out of State opinions:

Doctors: U Pitt
Geeks(Bill Gates, Google): CMU
Artists: Andy Warhol

Those are just three of the responses I tend to get when I mention my daughter is at school in Pittsburgh.

Old 11-19-2008, 02:35 PM

570 posts, read 1,406,745 times
Default Yeh go teams but GO PITTSBURGH!

alleghenyman well said! Actually everyone has a good take on all of this from my point of view. I also think that part of the crazed identity this area has with it's sports teams goes back to that industrial vein that was the Pittsburgh region. A sort of thickness that was in the blood of those mill hunks and coal miners and those that came from european blood and made a life out of the hills and along valley's of Pittsburgh. To work hard and play harder!
The crazed support of fotball- soccer in Europe and other places certainly rises to the level of insanity in many locales. And back in the late 1800's and early 1900's the most popular spectator in sport in Pittsburgh was Crew racing on the rivers. True in that thousands would line the rivers to watch two advanced rowers-mill hunks wage war on the Pittsburgh water. And wages were high as betters would wage hard earned cash on either rower.
I love the crazed support of positive things. It feels good to be united in cause and to be able to reach for the top spot in whatever it is we strive for as a team, organization or individual. One of my favorite claims for Pittsburgh is Doctor Salk's vacine for Polio. What an incredible prize ! And more recently the domination of CMU's Robotics team in international competition.
A very cool scene would be the Steeler's honoring doctor Red and the CMU Robotics team at the 50 yard line at half time. Or how about honoring the Pittsburgh Symphony for years of amazing music and international exposure for the name and the city. It's so easy to become narrow minded, I fight it myself all the time. But maybe just a little more appreciation for what we have at all levels of Pittsburgh would be a good thing. If you look, we have as much true achievement as any city our size and I'm thinking worldwide ! Go Steelers and Pens and Pit and Pirates, but GO PITTSBURGH !

Old 11-22-2008, 02:37 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,219,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
Out of State opinions:

Doctors: U Pitt
Geeks(Bill Gates, Google): CMU
Artists: Andy Warhol

Those are just three of the responses I tend to get when I mention my daughter is at school in Pittsburgh.
Aren't you glad you don't live there any more?

Never been there.

I lived there/have family there.

Those are the most common responses I hear when saying I'm from there. Not necessarily in that order.

Old 11-24-2008, 07:50 AM

85 posts, read 285,747 times
Apropos article:

Pittsburgh measures up on crime, arts, not so on health and diversity
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh