Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 10:26 AM

48 posts, read 137,929 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I am worried about how I will dress my Son when we are there next winter.Obviously,warmly.But coming from SoCal(where it is 90 degrees today),I am unsure about layering.How many layers?What would be a typical way to leave the house dressed in the morning for a school kid?I realize that this may seem like a silly question but I honestly have no idea.

Thanks so much :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2008, 10:37 AM

911 posts, read 2,375,312 times
its 30 degrees here and snowing

winter coat
boots
gloves
scarf
tossel cap

maybe when it gets really cold some long john's
but it really only gets that cold a few times in january or febuary

Old 11-18-2008, 10:43 AM

30 degrees to us is REALLY COLD.We wear long john's on the rare occasion that is in the the 40's(at night,maybe even 50's).I was thinking you guys wore several layers of long john's,but I guess you'd burn up when you got indoors.Oh boy...this sure is going to be an adjustment!

Old 11-18-2008, 10:53 AM

1,519 posts, read 2,675,088 times
It will be an adjustment. As to layers under the coat, most folks probably wear two -- a shirt or turtle neck and a sweater. Once you're here a while you won't really get cold until it's in the low 20s.

Old 11-18-2008, 11:43 AM

29,745 posts, read 34,383,370 times
I don't think most people wear long johns unless they're going to be outside for long periods of time. Hats, gloves, and scarves are more important for day to day.

Old 11-18-2008, 12:21 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,660,494 times
I have never worn long johns... even when at Seven Springs. Don't even own a pair.
And I personally do not like hats... so none of those either!

For me, good coats, boots and gloves are a must.

You will see a wide range of attire. You will even see shorts in January. Dress how you see fit - and keep in mind that inside most buildings the temperature is 70 degrees.

Old 11-18-2008, 12:29 PM

67 posts, read 233,637 times
One thing to remember is that compared to buildings in California, buildings here are really well insulated and heated. You will probably not be nearly as cold indoors here when it's in the 20s or 30s as you would be in your California home when it's in the 40s or 50s. I lived in Southern California for five years and really have never found anything here to be nearly as cold and drafty as our apartments were there--no insulation and only weak space heaters make even 50 degrees feel freezing cold.

Outdoors it's a different story, of course, but it really doesn't get that cold here except on a handful of days. I think a good coat, hat, gloves, and thicker pants (jeans/corduroys) are all you really need for most of the winter if you are traveling somewhere. If your kid's going to be playing outside for a long period of time, maybe add long johns to that list, or a snowsuit.

Old 11-18-2008, 12:30 PM

1,437 posts, read 3,775,944 times
Yeah, I'm from Florida and I think long johns are not needed. Winters here are really not that bad, a coat, gloves and hat is really all you need unless you will be outside for long periods of time. I never even wear a hat unless I go biking outdoors.

One thing I've noticed that people from warm climates do is stress themselves out too much about how bad it will be in the winter. People in FL had me convinced I needed to spend $1000 on a winter wardrobe, and that I had to sell my car (rear-wheel drive Mustang) because it would be undriveable in the snow. Blah..... I had to do none of these things! It's not that bad, relax.

Old 11-18-2008, 12:32 PM

3,343 posts, read 10,935,659 times
I don't own any long johns either. Most of the time i where a tank top, short or long sleeved t-shirt under sweaters or sweat shirts. I have several different coats depending on the outfit and a good downcoat for those really freezing cold days or for playing outside. For pants i mostly wear jeans paired w/warm socks and boots or tennis shoes.

If i go sled riding or something where i'm going to be outside for a long time i'll wear a tights and a couple pairs of sweats, a thin shirt, sweatshirt, good coat, gloves, 2 pairs of socks, boots and a headband to cover me ears (i hate hats). Usually when you are outside moving around you get hot anyway.

Last edited by CortlandGirl79; 11-18-2008 at 12:43 PM..

Old 11-18-2008, 01:04 PM

We've been told the same thing about our SUV because it's not 4 wheel drive.We've also told we'll need to trade our low profile tires in for snow tires.
I know we will have to buy quite a bit a warm clothes.I didn't even buy my Son a lite jacket last winter because it never got cold enough,sweatshirts were perfect.I will wait for our our end of winter sales,which are pretty good!
Thanks for all of the insight!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh