Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2009, 06:27 AM

3,164 posts, read 6,703,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugatu View Post
I go to bed with hopes of waking up to a few inches of snow after watching all the news stations hype the storm, but wake up to a light coating and see that the winter storm warning was downgraded to an advisory, and all we may get a whole inch of snow.

I haven't lived long in the north, but did the weather forecasters always have this much difficulty with their predictions in the winter? Or have they gotten WORSE since the introduction of all the technology that they have now, like modern computer models and super duper doppler?
Read what I typed above, from the start, it was clearly stated that the storm and cold air had to be just right for us to get it. Storms have minds of their own, and predicting is not a precise science.

Doppler radar shows the precipitation and the direction it is moving, but it can't predict and clearly show a change in the jet stream or if a storm is going to begin to rotate in a different direction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2009, 06:32 AM

78 posts, read 137,044 times
Default Buddy, they blew it, face it

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrpriester View Post
AND

it was clearly, clearly stated that it all depended on how far north the storm and cold air would go.

I get so tired of people like you who are always giving forecasters a bad name, when you don't repeat what they say correctly.

They blew the forecast, simple.. More frustrating to me is the amount of times they get it wrong. Sure it always depends on temperature right? gee maybe I should get that job ! After all, whenever the hype a bad weather storm they kill my business ! No one will get out to eat if impending doom is just around the corner! false

Old 01-10-2009, 06:34 AM

1,437 posts, read 3,776,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrpriester View Post
Read what I typed above, from the start, it was clearly stated that the storm and cold air had to be just right for us to get it. Storms have minds of their own, and predicting is not a precise science.

Doppler radar shows the precipitation and the direction it is moving, but it can't predict and clearly show a change in the jet stream or if a storm is going to begin to rotate in a different direction.
I understand that the storm track had a big influence on the type of precip we get, as they've been mentioning that in the days leading up to this event, but last night it seemed that everyone was in agreement that the storm would pass to our south and we would get mostly snow. I wonder what changed overnight? I imagine most forecasters simply go by the GFS model and base their forecast on that, so if the GFS is off, so are all the forecasters.

Old 01-10-2009, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugatu View Post
I wonder what changed overnight?
The track of the storm, simple enough.

Old 01-10-2009, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizowner00 View Post
They blew the forecast, simple..
If your business depends so heavily on the weather or not, maybe you should pay full attention to the forecast.

Quote:
After all, whenever the hype a bad weather storm they kill my business ! No one will get out to eat if impending doom is just around the corner! false
Life's tough, isn't it?

Old 01-10-2009, 06:41 AM

It's the same thing with any kind of storm. You start watching a hurricane track early on, and they give multiple windows for land fall. A storm of any kind can change its path, gain or lose intensity, etc, in a matter of hours.

Old 01-10-2009, 06:43 AM

570 posts, read 1,411,760 times
Pittsburgh forecaster's driven by news directors and competition go with the flow. True, low pressure to our south always encourages warmer air northward above the surface. The fault I find is that this is not put into the wording correctly. The error is typically for over forecasting. 3 to 6 inches when percentages show us that in Pittsburgh and along the river valley it would be more likely 1-3 inches.
This storm is a typical mixed precip storm for Pittsburgh. Low centered close enough to allow for warmer air. The forecast yesterday including the NWS favored a deeper cold layer and discounted the change over. It's all in the wording and ya'll favor over doing the numbers..

Old 01-10-2009, 06:45 AM

570 posts, read 1,411,760 times
And would you tell the crazy news director to pull everyone from reporting along the highways, they are going to dampen my tailgate..

Old 01-10-2009, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLobster View Post
The fault I find is that this is not put into the wording correctly. The error is typically for over forecasting.
And if we got that or more, people would be crying too.

This is a good demonstration of the American public, crying about something that can't be controlled in the first place.

Old 01-10-2009, 09:02 AM

78 posts, read 137,044 times
Like most things in media, it's just a case of weather being over hyped. If the weather forecast was a 30 second spot on a newscast, well you wouldn't here all the comments. Put all your eggs in one basket and your going to get the attention.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh