Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 11:23 AM

1,105 posts, read 2,303,618 times

Advertisements

I lived in pittsburgh about 15 years ago and I found that people won't accept you if arn't born and raised there. Of course that is true of all places to a certain degree. But Pittsburgh is more that way than most places, I think. I think the reason has something to do with the fact that Pittsburgh was a very hard town to build with its many valleys, rivers, hills, etc so a newcomer is coming into to town just settles in without any sort of ancestral ties to the building of the place. Also, Pittsburgh was a rough and tough steel town. a real blue collar place with distinct neighborhoods. These are just my ideas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2008, 11:28 AM

22,564 posts, read 47,614,734 times
IDK...
I don't have ancestral ties, unless you count a degree from Pitt.
And I fit in just fine!

Old 11-25-2008, 11:28 AM

6 posts, read 12,573 times
Default Is this really true?

I would really love to hear from others about this. I was born in Pittsburgh, but raised in Florida. I have heard the opposite about Pittsburgh and seen the oposite from what this person is saying. I have heard that people in Pittsburgh are actually very friendly. Will we be welcomed or will people wish we would go back where we came from. I worry about my kids fitting in at a new school.

Old 11-25-2008, 11:40 AM

3,733 posts, read 5,962,766 times
About 35,000 to 40,000 people move into the Pittsburgh metro every year. About the same number move somewhere else. It's the normal order of people coming and going for jobs, school, etc. I moved here in 1981 and had no trouble. I lived in the East End, which has a lot of people from other cities and countries coming and going all the time. I don't think there should be a problem unless you find a neighborhood that is frozen in time (there are a few), but my take on it is that the grandmothers on the street would invite you over for Sunday dinner.

Old 11-25-2008, 12:01 PM

1,437 posts, read 3,774,703 times
I don't agree that Pittsburghers won't accept outsiders. I moved up here 2 years ago frm FL and had no problems, most people are open and very friendly, I've made a few good friends and I've had several different job offers. Heck, I make fun of some of the Pittsburgh customs and language and people still talk to me! lol

Old 11-25-2008, 12:02 PM

439 posts, read 1,473,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angorlee View Post
I lived in pittsburgh about 15 years ago and I found that people won't accept you if arn't born and raised there. Of course that is true of all places to a certain degree. But Pittsburgh is more that way than most places, I think. I think the reason has something to do with the fact that Pittsburgh was a very hard town to build with its many valleys, rivers, hills, etc so a newcomer is coming into to town just settles in without any sort of ancestral ties to the building of the place. Also, Pittsburgh was a rough and tough steel town. a real blue collar place with distinct neighborhoods. These are just my ideas.
I don't agree with this at all. I have many friends that were not born here.

My wife is from Florida and has had no trouble making lots of friends.

Maybe if you look at yourself as an outsider you give the vibe of not being friendly?

Old 11-25-2008, 12:02 PM

803 posts, read 2,969,383 times
I just moved here from NYC this past summer, and while there CAN be a tendency by some towards somewhat provincial thinking, the overall reception I've received here has been magnificent!--i've made good friends, some of whom have gone above & beyond the call of duty during my recent aneurysm/stroke episode, and my employees even have been welcoming towards me, an outlander....

I'd reason to guess it all depends on which "scene" one os trying to fit into, as to the quotient of openness people IN that scene have, towards letting newcomers in....

Old 11-25-2008, 01:52 PM

1,758 posts, read 4,228,484 times
I do believe that in some of the surrounding river towns that people can seem, not necessarily unfriendly. but kind of look at you like who the he** is that? Obviously, if one frequents the South Side, people down there are so used to seeing people from everywhere. It would be no big deal. I also think that most of Pittsburgh's East End Neighborhoods are sophisticated enough and urban enough to welcome strangers.
I will say that when one crosses a river into some of the industrial towns, there is definetely a different vibe than in an Oakland or a Squirrel Hill. Sure, some of those people are top notch and will welcome you. However, if you walk into any token bar like you would on the South Side, you may have some people feeling uneasy about the stranger in town. Is that strictly a Pittsburgh thing? I think that it happens in every city that has neighborhood where mostly loclals hang. It is only natural. Then eventually people warm up to you.

Old 11-25-2008, 05:38 PM

1,142 posts, read 2,815,051 times
I've lived in Pittsburgh 20+ years and I get what you are saying. There tends to be an underlying feeling of being an outsider. My theory, after all these years, is the feeling comes from not having extensive family and roots in the area. I don't feel like an outsider because people treat me badly, it's because everyone here is related to someone and knows so many people because they grew up here. The only people I have know that have left Pittsburgh are people that were already transplants from somewhere else. That is just how Pittsburgh works, at least in my experience. I have found the people here, for the most part, very nice. There are some really crazy people too, but that is something you find anywhere.

Old 11-25-2008, 08:43 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
I grew up in the Pgh area, so I have not experienced that first hand. However, I have heard others say that. When I was a kid there, we lived in an area that was growing, so that probably helped those who weren't from there, e.g. my mom. Also, World War II stirred things up in a way that hasn't happened since. My mom (from Wisconsin) and my dad (Pgh), would have never met otherwise. I can think of a few other couples in similar situations. When the steel industry crashed, no one was moving to Pgh for a while (well, very few, you know what I mean). I think a lot of Pittsburghers simply don't stop to think that someone from "somewhere else" might not have anyone to celebrate the holidays with, etc, b/c most people there have a lot of family.

I have also heard people say the same about some midwestern cities, where many people also live in the area most of their lives. One thing I do not agree with is blaming the OP. I think a lot of it is luck. You may live on a block, whatever, where everyone is from there, and a block over, there are lots of transplants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh