Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 07:02 AM

6 posts, read 7,402 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrestViewdrive View Post
It is run down in more than 50% of the areas?

WOW! What is your definition of rundown? I live in Regent square, and know all the east side. I would say there are run down neighborhoods, but 50%! WOW.

You must think areas like Lawrencville and the South Side are run down because they are built with those small little row houses in a tight urban way with late 1800s instead of suburbs in Scottsdale. That if you ask me those areas are 100 times cooler than Wexford.

Calling my town run down in half the area is just insulting. I am sorry this town is so ugly to you. I would suggest moving to a nice Suburb in the south, it will be much less run down and boring like wexford.
I guess my definition of run down would be abandoned buildings. I do see an awful lot of them when we go into the city. We love Wexford! It's so pretty here, and my kids really like their schools. Where is Scottdale, Southside? Why would we move South? Do you mean like to North Carolina? I love North Carolina! I still have family there!
I think the "cool" factor is something my kids like to look for. Something an overweight middle-aged mom just isn't. Ha ha ha.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2008, 07:21 AM

3,164 posts, read 6,700,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uglypittsburgh View Post
What you say is true. Jobs wise. We live in the Wexford area. We really like it up here. However, I still maintain my opinion about the way I feel some areas look. Some parts are very nice, I've been all over the city since moving here, I guess I'm just not used to it yet. My kids, on the otherhand, I think like it more than I do. They seemed to have settled into the school system nicely. Well, as long as my kids are happy, I'm happy! Ha ha ha

Your comment about 50 percent of the areas, including suburbs, being run down, is ridiculous.

Old 12-01-2008, 07:33 AM

6,327 posts, read 9,148,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uglypittsburgh View Post
I guess my definition of run down would be abandoned buildings. I do see an awful lot of them when we go into the city. We love Wexford! It's so pretty here, and my kids really like their schools. Where is Scottdale, Southside? Why would we move South? Do you mean like to North Carolina? I love North Carolina! I still have family there!
I think the "cool" factor is something my kids like to look for. Something an overweight middle-aged mom just isn't. Ha ha ha.
I thought you just said even the suburbs are run down and IMO our suburbs have more character than a lot of others. I go to the suburbs often and I've never seenanything even remote to run down. I just suppose you only go to the ghetto areas of the city then make your assumption about the rest. 50% ha! And by the way don't call Pittsburgh run down when you don't even know where the Southside is (one blue collar stell mill neighborhood now selling some homes well over $500k). While the population has fallen by 50% part of the reason along with obvious others is they are occupied by 4 people or less often but in the 1950's when the city had peak population many homes had well over 4 people in a small house. So maybe not all of the population loss we had was completely bad; more elbow room now.

Old 12-01-2008, 07:53 AM

1,623 posts, read 6,525,465 times
Depressing, insular, backwards, bad weather, bad singles scene, largely elderly population, confusing to drive...need I say more? Sorry guys but the 'burgh ain't happenin'.

Old 12-01-2008, 08:06 AM

1,437 posts, read 3,774,703 times
As someone that moved up here from Florida, there are a lot of areas of Pittsburgh that LOOK run down at first, but it's just that many of the buildings are OLD. One of the things I first noticed when visiting up here is that many old buildings are reused rather than knocked down and rebuilt. You can have a building that looks like it was built in 1900 converted into a Dominos Pizza or something. In a place like Florida, any old building would be leveled and replaced with an antiseptic-looking strip mall. Because of this, many areas of FL look like something out of the Truman Show and have no character. I actually love the grittiness and character of Pittsburgh!

But there ARE quite a few abandoned buildings in the area, including the suburbs, but not anywhere near 50%. I took a drive to Toronto last year and had to get off the interstate in Buffalo to get gas and I had trouble finding a gas station that wasnt boarded up! Now that area looked run down and abandoned.

Last edited by Mugatu; 12-01-2008 at 08:38 AM..

Old 12-01-2008, 08:17 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,890,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orrmobl View Post
Depressing, insular, backwards, bad weather, bad singles scene, largely elderly population, confusing to drive...need I say more? Sorry guys but the 'burgh ain't happenin'.
orrmobl - you seem pretty depressing yourself harping on negatives, some of which are your sole opinion and shouldnt be conisdered fact.

Old 12-01-2008, 09:23 AM

2,488 posts, read 2,931,980 times
Anybody that has to name theirselves "UglyPittsburgh" and bash the city of Pittsburgh on a Pittsburgh forum is obviously a troll and should be ignored. I am not even going to get started with this troll.

I wonder if this Wexford Troll thinks Shadyside, Friendship, Regent Square, Squirrel Hill, or Point Breeze is run down also. I doubt the troll even has been in these areas. I am sick of this forum for the annoying suburbinites that bash the city but probably never leave their strip malls off of Highway 19 in Wexford. They probably drive down 28 and see those abandoned houses past the 38th st. bridge and than assume the whole city looks like that.

Suburbinites freaking annoy the hell out of me.

Old 12-01-2008, 01:59 PM

2,193 posts, read 5,801,316 times
I came to the realization quite a while ago that you can not post anything positive on this board without people ripping it apart. It's not just in the Pittsburgh threads, it's the entire board.

To the OP, I'm glad you enjoyed your visit to Pittsburgh, please do come back again sometime soon.

Old 12-01-2008, 02:05 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,148,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orrmobl View Post
Bad weather to some is not to all. Largely elderly population; so do "hot and cool" places like Florida and Arizona; maybe you don't ever go into the city where there are a lot of young people. Confusing to drive yes, but if you can handle driving here you can handle anywhere. Backwards some (esp river valley towns) but def not all places, depressing - it's only depressing if you make it depressing.

Old 12-01-2008, 02:10 PM

2,488 posts, read 2,931,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
Bad weather to some is not to all. Largely elderly population; so do "hot and cool" places like Florida and Arizona; maybe you don't ever go into the city where there are a lot of young people. Confusing to drive yes, but if you can handle driving here you can handle anywhere. Backwards some (esp river valley towns) but def not all places, depressing - it's only depressing if you make it depressing.
That orrmobl dude wrote the same blabbing bs that every highschool kid writes before they move out somewhere else and find that there is problems everywhere.

Our elderly popluation has died off and our average age is becoming on par with the rest of the country. When will these highschool kids stop using this exucse? I like our weather in the fall, spring, and summer. The cloudy days is all bull ship. If you have a partly cloudy day it shows up on the fact list as cloudy so people like this can come on here and whine.

Confusing to drive? I love that about Pittsburgh, much more fun than up three blocks over 4........................

depressing. This dude orbllswhatever lives in Eastern PA. I love philly, but I am not going to go on their board and call their town depressing because I saw bad neighborhoods driving down lancaster ave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh