Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 11:54 AM

6,327 posts, read 9,148,549 times

Advertisements

Pittsburgh has the fastest job growth of any Northern city in the US! (unless you count DC as North; it can be argued to be North and South). Can anyone say if UMPC started their 500 layoffs in Oct and Nov will be interesting because it seemed more companies did some layoffs that month but if we created that much in Oct I don't see a 360 deg. turn in Nov.
This is from Pittsburgh's Future.

Be Glad You're in Pittsburgh and Not Somewhere Else

While the rate of job loss in the U.S. worsened again in October for the fourth straight month, the Pittsburgh Region continued to go in the exact opposite direction. Not only does the Pittsburgh Region still have 7,600 more jobs than it did a year ago, that's a higher rate of job growth than the region has experienced all summer.
Moderator cut: copyright protection, quote shortened

Last edited by Yac; 12-03-2008 at 12:34 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2008, 01:53 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,890,414 times
Simply Amazing......Again the only Rust Belt City progressing and people still want to give it hell.

Old 12-01-2008, 03:54 PM

570 posts, read 1,411,243 times
Thanks Brad for this posting and the stats. In a very bad national economic picture Pittsburgh does look better. I know quite a few local folk in industry and small buisness as well. Overall from what I hear the last two months the slow down in both the national and world economy is now having a negative effect on the local region. Hence where the local economy had been largely untouched by the larger hardship, we are now involved and that being negative. I noticed that today Pittsburgh Glass Works has announced it will be closing and laying off 150 Pittsburgh area workers due to the US auto industry ill effects.
Will be quite interesting to see the economic numbers for Pittsburgh for the winter and spring!

Last edited by RockLobster; 12-01-2008 at 04:06 PM..

Old 12-01-2008, 06:58 PM

I know it's beginning to get a little nerve wrecking here with job numbers.

Old 12-01-2008, 07:22 PM

39 posts, read 87,970 times
6 months and counting in my job hunt

Old 12-02-2008, 01:18 AM

3,306 posts, read 4,153,400 times
C'mon Pittsburgh's economy is not "hot".

The benefit to not participating in economic booms is that you aren't as greatly effected by the bust.

The numbers are likely to get worse next year though. I would predict that while some areas that are currently getting hit hard start to recover Pittsburgh will continue to decline.

Old 12-02-2008, 06:05 AM

2,488 posts, read 2,931,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanoid View Post

The benefit to not participating in economic booms is that you aren't as greatly effected by the bust.

The numbers are likely to get worse next year though. I would predict that while some areas that are currently getting hit hard start to recover Pittsburgh will continue to decline.
Thanks for your insight Professor.

Old 12-02-2008, 07:46 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,890,414 times
Where the hell did all these Pittsburgh bashers come from...I admit im new to City-data...

But I'm a born and bread Pittsburgh, who lived in Philadelphia for 4yrs and Now NYC for the past 8...I still come back to visit family quite often and to get the Homesickness out my system, and I must say alot of this Pittsburgh bashing is just Plain Baseless Trolling...

You guys have no clue on state of city or region for that matter. NYC is on the verge of collapsing, Philadelphia is Broke! Pittsburgh is hot. The fact that we are stealing Jobs from other Mid-west and NE cities is truely amazing....Pittsburgh is also becoming hollywood of the East 6 feature films in a years time. Pittsburgh Film Industry Discussion - SkyscraperPage Forum.

Pittsburgh's time is now, if it ever hopes to shakes it Rust Belt past.....Pittsburgh still however needs something to draw attention to it. Here in NY when I tell people that I'm from the burgh, I usaually get a reply of "Never Been" "I hear its very cheap cost of living" and the famous "Go Steelers or Pens" ...It needs to host something big, or get a national attraction to get some eyes on it....Same thing the Olympics did for Atlanta.

Old 12-02-2008, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanoid View Post

Hmm last time I checked gaining 7,600 jobs during such bad times would be considered a "boom" for the Pittsburgh region; just leave your hatred of our area to yourself and leave us Pittsburghers alone. You don't see us saying terrible things about LA even though I cant think for the top of my head: the costrant drought and forests fires from it, the illegal immigrants, the disparity between rich and poor, the idiotic celebrities, and that LA is losing jobs. That's what I can think of about nasty LA which like the rest of California native born Americans are fleeing with migration within the country give a net decrease of 950,592 people in California from 2000 to 2006.

Old 12-02-2008, 08:07 AM

3,306 posts, read 4,153,400 times
Firstly, expressing a view on Pittsburgh that you disagree with is not Pittsburgh bashing.

Secondly, Pittsburgh is not becoming the Hollywood of the east. There are acres and acres of movie studies in Hollywood, Studio city, Burbank etc. What does Pittsburgh have? Nothing really.

Pittsburgh is used as a shooting location, there is virtual no movie industry in the city. Pittsburgh is often used when an early 1900's look is desired. Pittsburgh still has a lot of buildings from this era standing. I've heard that they like filming in the city too because the city officials make it easy and the people don't get in the way.

Incidentally, I was just watching the new inspector gadget movie on TV the other day and was amused with the Pittsburgh footage.

Anyhow, Pittsburgh has no entrepreneurial spirit. Its an old wealth city, with policies that favor the establishment. As a result the city is never going to be "hot". Why start a business in Pittsburgh when you can do so in Texas where the costs are less and the pool of workers is greater?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh