Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2008, 12:31 PM

7 posts, read 18,578 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Oklahoma and my daughter & her family (3 grandkids) are in Pittsburgh. I'm wanting to move there to be closer to them, be able to attend their spoting events, holidays, etc. Everyone is trying to analyze this thing to death. Has anyone made a move like this and regretted it? Loved it? This is such a huge decision for us and I'm trying to look at every angle. We're looking in the Mt. Lebanon area. My daughter's in Sewickely. Any advice, anyone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2008, 12:45 PM

2 posts, read 5,591 times
depends on what your lifestyle is. Do you want to be close to downtown pittsburgh, with lots of culture, the arts, restaurants etc? then I would consider squirrel hill and shadyside to live in. Sewickley is a nice neighbourhood too.

Old 12-01-2008, 01:23 PM

22,587 posts, read 47,649,975 times
Since you want to move to attend sporting events, etc of THREE grandkids, why not look for something closer to Sewickley?

Mt Lebo to Sewickley and back several times a week - if the kids are anything like mine, that is not unreasonable - can get real old real quick.

Old 12-01-2008, 01:51 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,152,053 times
Pittsburgh is actually considered one of the best cities to retire in (not that i'm saying you are at that age and obvously we must be doing something right to get that award other with the weather) because of the good health care and cultural activities. Welcome if you decide to move here. Depending on the time of day traffic may be good or bad depending if the time you visit is with or aganist the rush hour.

Old 12-01-2008, 02:03 PM

1,139 posts, read 2,496,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dooleyduo View Post
I currently live in Oklahoma and my daughter & her family (3 grandkids) are in Pittsburgh. I'm wanting to move there to be closer to them, be able to attend their spoting events, holidays, etc. Everyone is trying to analyze this thing to death. Has anyone made a move like this and regretted it? Loved it? This is such a huge decision for us and I'm trying to look at every angle. We're looking in the Mt. Lebanon area. My daughter's in Sewickely. Any advice, anyone?
I just Wikipedia'd Tulsa, OK because I wanted to see if I could relate an area in Pittsburgh to there but I didn't realize Tulsa was becoming such a growing metro area (projected to reach 1 million between 2010-2012).

I will say that I love Mt. Lebanon. I spent some time working there and it is a great community. The people, even if a lot of them had money, were always very friendly, and I loved the way the town was laid out with everyone always walking their dogs, or running for exercise, etc. The homes are old but they have some character to them. The one thing I would say to you about Mt. Lebanon is that you are going to be paying some high property taxes. Basically, you are paying for the school district. Since you are moving here to be closer to grandkids that live in Sewickley, I would assume you will not be sending any kids to Mt. Lebanon Schools. Mt. Lebanon has a lot of amenities that make it worth it to some other than the schools...but I just thought that 2 cents may be something you would want to be aware of.

I would 2nd Pitt Chick and ask if you'd be interested in looking closer to Sewickley?

Old 12-01-2008, 02:59 PM

7 posts, read 18,578 times
Very good quick feedback. Thanks everyone.

Old 12-01-2008, 04:52 PM

1 posts, read 1,735 times
I moved back to the Pittsburgh Area 7 years ago. I was living in North Carolina and my husband had passed away the year before. I had family in the area and wanted them to be involved in my children's lives. It has been a wonderful move and would love to help in any way. I am in Cranberry Township.
Please let me know if you have any questions.

Old 12-02-2008, 06:04 AM

4,412 posts, read 3,958,335 times
If your doughter is in Sewickley, and you want to spend a lot of time with her and the grandkids, why not just move there, or one of the other nice nearby boroughs? Emsworth, Avalon, and Ben Avon are all very nice places. Coraopolis may be a more affordable alternative, and newer developments can be found across from Sewickley in Moon Township.

Old 12-03-2008, 03:31 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dooleyduo View Post
I don't have any advice from personal experience, but I know of people who have moved somewhere to be close to the kids and loved it, and some who hated it. In one case, the "kids" moved away, necessitating another move for G-ma. Sometimes the relationships just don't work out. OTOH, some love it. I think it helps if the G-ma gets her own life. The parents of one of the docs I work with just moved to be near the family; they moved to a senior housing development (not assisted living, just senior citizen place), where it is very easy to make friends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
View detailed profiles of: