Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 03:43 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,546,779 times

Advertisements

Don't bother, this is a town of poorly dressed slobs. And sadly, they are proud of it. I attended a seminar today where Steeler shirts were the big item. Must be like high school when the cheerleaders wore their uniforms. And what really killed me were the 20 somethings wearing hats indoors. Slobs, I tell ya, slobs.

Sweatshirt at the Benedum, now, that's class.

Ah, don't get me started.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2008, 04:13 PM

1,139 posts, read 2,496,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by COPANUT View Post
And sadly, they are proud of it.
Proud of it? They should be...Steelers clothes are expensive!
haha, I'm kidding (although a lot of Steeler clothes really can be expensive for what you get)...

As for whether to locate here or not...if it were normal conditions, I'd say you might do alright...because shops with clothes like that aren't common here and they tend to do well with college students/young professionals, as well as the wealthier residents (usually female) of places like Fox Chapel, Sewickley, Shadyside, USC, etc.

However, with the economy the way it is...I'm not sure how places like that are doing. I'd love to see you open up a store here but keep an eye on places like Saks, Nordstrom, Louis Vuitton, and the others that just opened in Ross Park... as well as Chick Downtown, some of the more expensive places in Shadyside and Sewickley... usually if the clientele has money, they're not being hit as hard as the middle class right now so they're still spending. Plus, if people know you're originally from Pittsburgh, they may be more likely to support you.

Old 12-12-2008, 07:01 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifepgh2op View Post
haha, I'm kidding (although a lot of Steeler clothes really can be expensive for what you get)...

As for whether to locate here or not...if it were normal conditions, I'd say you might do alright...because shops with clothes like that aren't common here and they tend to do well with college students/young professionals, as well as the wealthier residents (usually female) of places like Fox Chapel, Sewickley, Shadyside, USC, etc.

However, with the economy the way it is...I'm not sure how places like that are doing. I'd love to see you open up a store here but keep an eye on places like Saks, Nordstrom, Louis Vuitton, and the others that just opened in Ross Park... as well as Chick Downtown, some of the more expensive places in Shadyside and Sewickley... usually if the clientele has money, they're not being hit as hard as the middle class right now so they're still spending. Plus, if people know you're originally from Pittsburgh, they may be more likely to support you.
I'm not so sure about that. College students everywhere seem to wear jeans, T-shirts, sweats, etc. College girls like to wear "junior" size type clothes that you can buy at places like Express, New York and Co, etc. Perhaps the young professionals, but since the main "industries" in Pittsburgh are health care and education, I don't know what kind of a market there is for high-fashion clothing. High-fashion scrubs, maybe?

OP, I think you should try Chicago or MInneapolis, which are still "dressy" cities.

Old 12-12-2008, 09:20 PM

1,139 posts, read 2,496,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I'm not so sure about that. College students everywhere seem to wear jeans, T-shirts, sweats, etc. College girls like to wear "junior" size type clothes that you can buy at places like Express, New York and Co, etc. Perhaps the young professionals, but since the main "industries" in Pittsburgh are health care and education, I don't know what kind of a market there is for high-fashion clothing. High-fashion scrubs, maybe?
True...I guess I didn't really think of the actual "clothes" rather than just the students/young professionals spending the $ on higher priced clothing than your middle class Pittsburgher. I remember reading an article from the owner of the Pittsburgh Jean Company in the South Side saying a good majority of his customers were college students with money from mom & dad...most of their jeans are in the $200+ range. So, I guess what I meant is that some of that age range will drop the $ on the clothes, but not necessarily the styles the OP is offering.

Old 12-13-2008, 09:13 AM

29,746 posts, read 34,389,499 times
I think the key is to also have somewhat of an internet presence, like Chick does. They've got a brick and mortar store where they can sell to locals, but also a website to do business with people outside the area.

Old 12-14-2008, 04:42 AM

3 posts, read 9,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifepgh2op View Post

Thanks thats helpful..Im actually coming home in a few days, i need to check out this Chick Downtown that everyone seems to be talking about..

Old 12-14-2008, 01:06 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,703,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by COPANUT View Post
Don't bother, this is a town of poorly dressed slobs. And sadly, they are proud of it.
I wouldn't say don't bother. I think you would do well in Shadyside or say Mt Lebanon or South Hills Village mall or Galleria in the South Hills.

You can tell the city folk like myself from those who live outside the city.

Old 12-14-2008, 06:20 PM

362 posts, read 919,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgieW View Post
Hi all,
I originally hail from Pittsburgh, but moved to London,UK about 6 yrs ago and ended up starting a fashion design business, which has been very successful over here. For a couple months I've been thinking of opening a boutique in Pittsburgh cause last I checked high fashion was somewhat non-existent in Pittsburgh. Maybe see if I can create a whole new niche in the "fashion" market and bring something refreshing to the area. What do you fashionable Pittsburghians, who currently reside there think? I'm gonna list my website on here, only so you can see the sort of style of what I'm thinking of bringing over. Georgie W Couture..
Let me know what y'all think honestly weather good or bad...
Thanks
"High fashion".............you mean like "silly looking" clothes that have someone's, "oh-so-special-name" on them and have an "arm & a-leg" price tag? Like "that" kind of "high-fashion"????? Well I guess that kind of high fashion in Pittsburgh is the same as high fashion in ANY city.

Sorry for the sarcasm but I just don't buy into the notion of clothes that fall into the "high fashion" category and paying obscene prices for someone's name.

Old 12-15-2008, 05:59 PM

448 posts, read 1,471,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugatu View Post
Isn't that an oxymoron?

I love it High fashion in Western PA is stretchy pants and a sweatshirt. Even in the summer. No joke. Just go to any walmart within a 50 mile radius. Oh, and the main food group, pizza.

Old 12-15-2008, 06:29 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,262,240 times
I think the only problem is here people don't like to spend money. Its mainly a working class town and most don't want to spend almost half the mortgage payment on a pair of jeans. And then there is the whole body size constraints that fashionable clothing has. Pittsburgh's not lacking in waist line expansions. But give it a go. I personally am sick of stores selling stuff that was popular over 5 years ago like its fresh. I buy most everyone online anymore because locally its: Behind the times or overpriced for what it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh