Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 11:37 AM

67 posts, read 198,720 times

Advertisements

Not sure I'm in the right forum since I don't know PA geography very well. My husband and I both grew up in central PA, hubby in Altoona and me in Patton. We have not lived in the state for 40 years, but we want to return "home" to retire as most of our families are still there. Can anyone suggest an area, within an hour's drive of Altoona, that is clean, quiet, environmentally friendly and with reasonable housing costs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2008, 11:51 AM

2,488 posts, read 2,932,690 times
I like Ebensburg. It is half way between Pittsburgh and Altoona. So if you have any reason to come to Pittsburgh you would be closer. Pittsburgh has changed a lot by the last time you lived in the state.

There is State College too. The housing is probably more expensive there, but towns outside of State College are beautiful and cheaper like Boalsburg. There is also Huntington, or Bedford south of Altoona.

Then there is Holidaysburg 5 miles away from Altoona. (my hometown). It is a really historic and beautiful town.

BTW, My family use to camp near Patton at Prince Gallitzin State Park. I love that place.

Old 12-31-2008, 11:52 AM

285 posts, read 861,820 times
What kind of area are you looking for? Rural, small town, suburban, city?

Old 12-31-2008, 12:19 PM

Thanks for the replies. I've forgotten all about Ebensburg. Used to really like that town. As far as the kind of area, we'd prefer to be outside the city or town limits as we have 6 dogs plus love to have a large garden so we do need some space. We just want to be a reasonable distance from grocery stores. As we'll be retired we won't mind driving a bit for other shopping. A safe, low crime area would be wonderful, that's why we don't want to live in Altoona as the drug-related crime seems to be great.

Old 12-31-2008, 07:24 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,155,036 times
I would pick Tyrone. Nice, quaint town and you get the best of both Altoona and State College! Thats where I would come back to.

Old 01-04-2009, 10:55 PM

11 posts, read 70,255 times
I would recommend looking at areas they call the "Mainline" like Cresson, Gallitzin, Asheville etc.
These are smaller towns that have rich family values and history.
I myself live in Du Bois but that's because of business, but would move to these areas in a heartbeat when I get the chance.
Hunting, Fishing and lots of places to visit for retired couples but yet you have the amenities of getting to the big city in about an hour or less if you like.

Also remember you are coming from Myrtle Beach so there will be a culture shock immediately. I use to always go to Myrtle Beach when I was in the military.

Old 01-05-2009, 01:41 PM

10 posts, read 25,569 times
I agree with ThorsHammer about the Mainline area.Although I wouldn't recommend Gallitzin coming from Myrtle Beach since Gallitzin seems to see the worst of the mountain weather. My hometown is Lilly but am now living in Pittsburgh. The good thing about central PA is that if you don't want to live in a city, you don't have to go too far out from the city. So I think an hour distance might be overkill and too broad of a starting point. Other areas you might try are Duncansville and East Freedom.

Old 01-06-2009, 10:56 AM

Hey, thanks for all the replies. My husband is saying we have to stay away from "up the mountain" LOL. So we are researching Duncansville, actually, and as far east as the Huntingdon area.

I know it's gonna be tough getting used to those cold, dismal winters after years and years of living in the south, but the familly is getting older, we have no children of our own, and just feel it's time to go "home".

Old 01-06-2009, 12:14 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,155,036 times
I agree with your husband. Up the mountain in the winter is a b*tch. Not only that there's not much to do other than bingo, church or the sportsman club.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clem16 View Post
Hey, thanks for all the replies. My husband is saying we have to stay away from "up the mountain" LOL. So we are researching Duncansville, actually, and as far east as the Huntingdon area.

I know it's gonna be tough getting used to those cold, dismal winters after years and years of living in the south, but the familly is getting older, we have no children of our own, and just feel it's time to go "home".

Old 01-06-2009, 12:17 PM

2,488 posts, read 2,932,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clem16 View Post

I said my hometown was Hollidaysbug, It was actually Duncansville. I grew up on a little street that is off of Maple Hollow road. We lived on a steep hill and could see all the mountains outside our windows. It was a great view, and a great place to grow up as a kid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh