Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2007, 07:11 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bboy36win View Post
... and in the event that several well-qualified applicants exist, it often comes down to "feel". Or, put another way, how well one fits in. Which I think speaks to what Hopes is saying.
Nevertheless, only one person gets the job. And believe me, having been involved in hiring, mistakes get made. And sometimes the employer is looking for someone of a different sex, age, etc. It is NOT always the applicant's fault.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 03-06-2007 at 08:24 PM.. Reason: spelling error
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2007, 08:14 PM
PPG

509 posts, read 1,423,506 times
This is Pittsburgh, you pretty much have to be a relative to get the "ideal" job. I myself have had too many negative experiences to even want to go back to work. I had a decent job with Pittsburgh Public Fools and was fired because I was black. Yes it is 2007 and I was just as shocked as you are that these practices are still happening. I dont have the time, money, or patience to try and fight these stinking unions and corporations, but if I did I would probably be rich by now. A lot of my peers say the same thing.

Old 03-06-2007, 08:30 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post
Nevertheless, only one person gets the job.
Exactly! The one with the right 'feel' gets the job. Personality attributes are the determining factor when faced with applicants possessing similar qualifications. Furthermore, positions are actually created for the ones with the 'wow' factor. Every single member of my family has had positions created for them because prospective employers didn't want to pass up an opportunity to snatch us for themselves. Heck, sometimes positions have been created just to justify our salary requirements. Personality is everything. It can even surpass other critiera. Perhaps I'm biased because EVERY interview, throughout my entire life, has landed me an offer. How is that possible in Pittsburgh where so many complain there are no jobs or low paying jobs? Like subdivisions, I too am puzzled when I hear people complaining about the job situation in Pittsburgh.

Old 03-06-2007, 08:38 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pimpsgangtasandhustlas View Post
This is Pittsburgh, you pretty much have to be a relative to get the "ideal" job. I myself have had too many negative experiences to even want to go back to work. I had a decent job with Pittsburgh Public Fools and was fired because I was black. Yes it is 2007 and I was just as shocked as you are that these practices are still happening. I dont have the time, money, or patience to try and fight these stinking unions and corporations, but if I did I would probably be rich by now. A lot of my peers say the same thing.
Check your PM box, Pimps. I sent you a PM.

Old 03-07-2007, 01:26 PM

1,233 posts, read 3,434,765 times
My husband is also an engineer and so are many of my other realtives and we had to move to out of Pa due to lack of jobs...we are trying to move back into the area, most of us are very experienced, well seasonsed professionals with wonderful peronalities and have always been employed since college, but the real deal in pgh is that many had to leave the area to find employement and in Engineering, you make a whole lot less in some fields. Sad...cause we would love to live where we grew up, but there are not any jobs for us, so we live elsewhere till that changes...

Contract Engineering pays well cause its short term, meaning you job can end in 5-7 years or so...ok if your rich, not ok if your middle class. I know, and so do many of my hardworking intelligent relatives with impeccalbe manners and experience can as well atest too.

Get the job, then move!

Old 03-07-2007, 01:44 PM

3 posts, read 3,020 times
What's the big deal? There are plenty of jobs in Pittsburgh. Burger King, Subway needs some sandwitch artists, Wal-Mart. The possibilities are endless! You just gotta open up your eyes and look around!

Old 03-07-2007, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PghPaNative View Post
My husband is also an engineer and so are many of my other realtives and we had to move to out of Pa due to lack of jobs... most of us are very experienced, well seasonsed professionals with wonderful peronalities and have always been employed since college, I know, and so do many of my hardworking intelligent relatives with impeccalbe manners and experience can as well atest too.

Get the job, then move!

I agree completely! It is not just the "losers", "dweebs", etc who don't get the jobs. I know many other people in the same cirucumstances: educated, experienced, etc and they don't always get the job. Even in a field such as nursing with its alleged "shortage", it is not unusual for several applicants to apply for one job, generally a higher end job that requires experience, etc. Only one person will be hired, and other equally qualified people with great personalities get a "thanks but no thanks" letter (if that). It gets back to my original statement: do not blame the victim.

Old 03-09-2007, 11:30 AM

Yes, and when people blame the victim, they are telling "alot" bout themselves too. Many times people know the right person, or they have connections and they get in that way, I seen it happen ALOT.

There is an awful lot of competeion in Pgh, many good people had to move out of the area, and many more will continue to do, cause they simply can't live working at Subway working as Sandwhich Artists for min. wage...nor should a seasoned professional should be expected too.

PittNurse, glad to meet you!

Old 03-09-2007, 04:12 PM

Thank you! BTW, my husband has a PhD in physics and has had some of these same experiences. I find it rare that anyone has been offered EVERY job they have applied for, had special jobs created for them, etc.

Old 03-13-2007, 07:09 PM

Default Lol!

Yes, Pittnurse, this is the first time I ever heard that before, and I lived there all my life and know many many people who still do, who are not employed, who had to move, who had to downsize, infact when I told them bout it, they almost laughed me off my chair!!! I said, well it must happen! Mmmm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
View detailed profiles of: