Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 01:39 PM

2,488 posts, read 2,934,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
the San Diego Union Tribune ran an extensively article on Pittsburgh this week (maybe it was lifted from the NY Times???) saying how Pittsburgh was up and coming, unemployment was low, etc. I was glad to hear it. Maybe they just ran it because our Chargers are playing your Steelers on Sunday. Temps in Pittsburgh 20, San Diego 85 Sorry, just couldn't let that one go by...
Out of the places in this country that still probably have a warped view of Pittsburgh being a smoky industrial hell hole is California for some reason. That is good the newspaper there wrote an article. One day we will lift our image to the Westerners too.

It is better than the Article written by that Bill Johnson douche bag when the Steelers played Denver in the AFC championship when I lived there. He called our town butt ugly, and wrote a article about how our skyline was dark and scarry looking with smokestacks lining the rivers. He went on about how there were bars on every street, and abandoned buildings everywhere. I still get very very angry about this article even though it is going on about 5 years since it was written, and if I ever see that douche, I will punch him in the face.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2009, 02:57 PM

809 posts, read 2,410,353 times
You know, all this media love is great. However, it doesn't really amount to a hill of beans unless we get an actual expanding economy here.

Other cities in the region have been able to do it, notably Columbus, just a few hours west. Louisville and Cincinnati have also been able to at least expand their metro populations modestly. Pittsburgh should be able to as well.

Old 01-10-2009, 04:14 PM

137 posts, read 354,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesomo.2000 View Post
uggghghhh, more with your negativity. You said you never lived anywhere else. Please for the love of God.

If you read the comments on the article, it is mostly people like Pitts64, just negative yinzers from the 50s that help in no way to transform this town.
Now you sound like a Pittsburgher!!! Still a little soft, but that will change...

Transform this place into what? A weirdo haven like California or Texas?
Instead of transforming this city, let the city transform you.

I thought you people moved here because you like Pittsburgh...I am Pittsburgh.

The last thing we need is articles in newspapers advertising what we have here. It's always best to attract through referrals not advertisement..
Its the old money that lives here that keeps this place going...

I'm the Pittsburgher in the blue Chevy work truck that gives you a brake in 5:00 traffic, does that $200 service call at that poor old ladys house for 20 bucks or gives you a jump in 0 degree weather.

I wish you nothing but prosperity and happiness in your life. May God bless you and yours..

Old 01-10-2009, 04:17 PM

137 posts, read 354,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creepsinc View Post

This thread was just an experiment to see when the naysaying began. It happened on the second reply. I figured it would be the third or fourth.
Third or fourth and your from the Northside??

Old 01-11-2009, 10:25 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitts64 View Post
The last thing we need is articles in newspapers advertising what we have here. It's always best to attract through referrals not advertisement..
Its the old money that lives here that keeps this place going...

I'm the Pittsburgher in the blue Chevy work truck that gives you a brake in 5:00 traffic, does that $200 service call at that poor old ladys house for 20 bucks or gives you a jump in 0 degree weather.

I wish you nothing but prosperity and happiness in your life. May God bless you and yours..
I think Pittsburgh can use all the help it can get. "Old money"? You mean Andrew Carnegie, the Fricks, the Mellons, the Heinzes? Who else? Isn't it good to see the wealth be spread a little bit (my apologies to Barack Obama here). "Old Money" certainly doesn't sound like the blue collar Democratic Pittsburgh that I know. My little joke about Pittsburgh has always been that it's not "Old Money" or "New Money" but "No Money"!

When you're not getting business from referrals, you have to go to advertising. I applaud your generosity. I hope you know it's not unique to Pittsburgh.

Old 01-11-2009, 06:10 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,713,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitts64 View Post
Third or fourth and your from the Northside??

I don't even know what this means.

Old 01-11-2009, 06:21 PM

457 posts, read 1,280,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gameguy56 View Post
You know, all this media love is great. However, it doesn't really amount to a hill of beans unless we get an actual expanding economy here.

Other cities in the region have been able to do it, notably Columbus, just a few hours west. Louisville and Cincinnati have also been able to at least expand their metro populations modestly. Pittsburgh should be able to as well.
I agree. Press doesn't sell homes. And the real estate market in Pittsburgh is way down. Which isn't good since the area never went through the big boom like other cities did.
Another thing is that the census figures still show people leaving Pittsburgh. If the city is so great, then why is everyone leaving?

Old 01-11-2009, 07:23 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,713,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sr1234 View Post
I agree. Press doesn't sell homes. And the real estate market in Pittsburgh is way down. Which isn't good since the area never went through the big boom like other cities did.
Another thing is that the census figures still show people leaving Pittsburgh. If the city is so great, then why is everyone leaving?

I would like to petition city-data for a "yawning" icon.

:yawn:

addendum: the real estate market is "way down" EVERYWHERE.

Old 01-11-2009, 07:39 PM

2,193 posts, read 5,803,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creepsinc View Post
I would like to petition city-data for a "yawning" icon.

:yawn:

addendum: the real estate market is "way down" EVERYWHERE.
Rank Metro Market Growth from Previous Quarter Avg. Rent (dollars/sq. ft.)
1 Pittsburgh 2.5% $16.91
2 Columbia, S.C. 0.8% 12.88
3 Tulsa, Okla. 0.6% 12.12
4 Louisville, Ky. 0.5% 13.05
5 Houston 0.5% 20.66
6 Memphis 0.4% 15.64
7 Omaha, Neb. 0.4% 13.79
8 Cleveland 0.3% 15.17
9 Rochester, N.Y. 0.2% 12.18
10 Fairfield County, Conn. 0.1% 29.97

Source: Reis, Inc.

Old 01-11-2009, 07:41 PM

2,193 posts, read 5,803,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sr1234 View Post
The market may be down, but where isn't it? Plus we don't have the massive amounts of foreclosures a good chunk of the rest of the country has.

And as Creepsinc said :yawn:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh