U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 03:32 PM

6 posts, read 13,016 times

Advertisements

I have been relocated to Pittsburgh. My office is in downtown right off Grant. I will be living at the Omni for the next couple of months until I find a house and move the rest of the family over.

I have asked people in the office everyone has a different opinion on best place to live. Some say Wexford, FoX Chapel, Mt. Lebanon etc...

Here is what I am looking for. I relocated from Marlton in southern NJ originally a native NY. I would love to find a similar city here. It was very suburban, mostly stay at home moms with non existant crime and GREAT public schools. It was not rural though I had my choice of supermarkets within 5 miles and 2 malls within 15miles.

I dont mind commuting say an hour each way. Though I get to office by 7am so i beat most of the traffic. I don't want it to be too rural Id like to have nice shops near by. Most important to me are top notch schools, extremley low crime.

All towns have good and bad some bad out weigh any good. I was looking at homes today in Peters Township and one of y admins said that a very nice place to live but the high school has one of the highest Heroin usage in the area. That bad out weighs any good the town could off to me.

I am looking for a home under 400k.

Any and all advice would be greatley appreciated. If you can do a pros and cons of you reccomendation that would be great.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2007, 06:04 PM

43,011 posts, read 100,957,057 times
You'll have no problem finding a home for under 400k in Pittsburgh.

First off, let me tell you that heroin is a problem everywhere. Your co-worker is just blowing smoke about Peter's Township having the highest usage. There are no official statistics because all the townships hide the drug problems because it would bring down property values. A few years ago, Mt. Lebanon actually announced a week ahead of time when they were going to do a locker search for drugs. Of course they didn't find drugs because they announced when the search would be, but that didn't stop them from gloating and announcing "no drugs were found in our schools." Bottom line: Assume there will be drugs everywhere because there will be drugs everywhere. No school district is safe when you consider the more prosperous school districts have kids who have money to buy drugs.

I'll brake down the areas you were recommended:

Wexford: Not within 15 minutes to a mall. Super large school district. Can be very rural in areas, but there are nice suburban housing developments with many stay at home moms. Multiple grocery store choices available.

Mt. Lebanon or Upper St. Clair: Close to two malls---one upscale but it doesn't have many stores and there are only a few stores that aren't available at the other malls throughout Pittsburgh. Both school districts are excellent. There will be multiple grocery store choices. Of the two, Upper St. Clair will have more of the suburban feel you want.

Fox Chapel: Not so close to malls----just shopping area called Waterworks which is an outdoor shopping strip with Marshals, TJMax, Old Navy and a bunch of other places less notable (radio shack.....national record mart.....blockbusters.....party store of some sort.....sporting goods store.....some privately owned stores....golf store, etc.) Excellent school district. It's suburban but has a wooded feel because thee is a restriction for houses to not be built on less than a certain amount of acres. As a result, you won't feel you're in a suburban housing development unless you find a home in the actual Borough (realtor will know what that means). There are two chain grocery stores and a small italian grocer in the area.

Consider Hampton: It's one of the best school districts. Smaller schools which means better teacher/student ratio and more managable problems. This school district isn't merged with any lower-class towns like the other school districts. It has a suburban feel with housing plans and lots of fields and woods spread inbetween. (Basically, most townships in Pittsburgh will have a rural feel compared to what you're coming from because Pittsburgh is a wooded area.) There are multiple grocery store choices also. You'll be relatively close to McKnight Road which has three malls......and Ross Park Mall is getting a Nordstroms soon (nowhere else in Pittsburgh has a Nordstroms). And you'll also be relatively close to the Waterworks shopping center area in Fox Chapel.

Old 03-07-2007, 06:13 PM

3,041 posts, read 11,210,824 times
Peter's has a great school system. They do have thier problems as do any affluent area that has overindulged kids whose parents have blinders on. (See Plano TX, Alpharetta Ga, etc...) The highest herion usage?? I don't think so. 2 years ago Bethel Park had a big problem and had a few deaths from overdoeses that was widely reported. Peter's doesn't have any bigger problem than Mt. Lebo.
I lived in Peter's for 9 years. It's a great community ALOT of stay at home MOms. PTA at ALL schools is very active. no major crime, mostly petty crime (only murder I know of was spousal) For $400k you can get a very NICE house on a 1/2 acre lot.
Peter's is in Washington County so your property taxes are MUCH lower than Mt.Lebo that's in Allegheny county.
If I was transferred back to Pittsburg, I would choose to go back to Peter's. (I have 3 kids in school)
Feel free to send me a messsage if you have any Peter's related ??

Good luck

Old 03-07-2007, 06:17 PM

2 posts, read 11,500 times
+1 for Hampton... and there is alot in the area in the 300-400K range.

Old 03-08-2007, 09:01 PM

152 posts, read 607,871 times
I was born and raised in Hampton, while I am leaving the PGH area I still believe it is one of the best areas left in the North Hills and not too far from the city.

There are a lot of homes for sale under 400k but watch for the property taxes/school taxes as they are insane.

The Hampton area has grown so much since I grew up there, it is getting quite commercialized on the main roads and traffic is getting worse however, it's still better than living in town. I have a lot of family who still live there.

Old 04-17-2007, 12:10 PM

6 posts, read 13,016 times
Well after taking all the advice I recieved here I had decided on Hampton. I found a nice new house in a new development. Wow housing is crazy in Pittsburgh almost 5k sq ft. for 300k. So I was set, brought the wife and kids up last week to show them the area and the house. well they loved the house but hated the area We went to a mall South hills village i think thats what its called & Galleria, and drove around that area my wife loved it.

So after all my work now it looks like its the south hills. I am not home much due to my job so It really has to be a place that makes her happy. I also found that I liked that area more than the Hampton N Hills area it just seemed to be more city like with really nice shops and pretty affluent. Saw quite a few luxury cars which myself and a co-worker who also relocated with me have noticed since we got here you dont see very many of in Pittsburgh. I think the mall is what sold her it looked alot like the mall back in our home town same stores and such.

So if you could please give me feedback on what areas you would reccomend in the S Hills. I would really appreciate it living at the Omni for two months now and its getting tiring to check in and out every weekend and commute home.

My main reason for Hampton was the smaller school system. I hear that wont be available in the south hills.

Order of importance.

#1 School System prefer smaller student teacher ratio or maybe will have to go with a good private school.

#1a As little crime as possible.

Nice looking family area a great place to raise kids. Soccer mom town kind of place.

Thanks again for any help.

Old 04-17-2007, 12:22 PM

2,902 posts, read 9,527,274 times
Quote:
Fox Chapel: Not so close to malls
Hopes......... Fox Chapel is not even 10 minutes away from Pittsburgh Mills, second largset mall in PA and one of the largest commercial development projects in the Greater Pittsburgh Area with a huge plethora of restaurants.

Old 04-17-2007, 02:11 PM

3,041 posts, read 11,210,824 times
yanky...
seriously check out Peter's Township it's also known as McMurray. zip 15317.
It's a soccer mom haven. Great public schools. most houses are on 1/2 acre or greater lots. Alot of people from different areas...NY,NJ, Chicago etc...
(it's just south of South Hills village.)

If you want more densely populated then go to Mt Lebo. Great schools. Upper st Clair is also an option but I perfered Peter's schools.

PM me if you have any questions about neighborhoods etc...

Old 04-17-2007, 02:28 PM

487 posts, read 1,300,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yanky23 View Post
Well after taking all the advice I recieved here I had decided on Hampton. I found a nice new house in a new development. Wow housing is crazy in Pittsburgh almost 5k sq ft. for 300k. So I was set, brought the wife and kids up last week to show them the area and the house. well they loved the house but hated the area We went to a mall South hills village i think thats what its called & Galleria, and drove around that area my wife loved it.
Yanky
Prior to seeing the malls in the south hills, what was it about the north hills that your wife hated?

Old 04-17-2007, 02:50 PM

43,011 posts, read 100,957,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boylocke View Post
Hopes......... Fox Chapel is not even 10 minutes away from Pittsburgh Mills, second largset mall in PA and one of the largest commercial development projects in the Greater Pittsburgh Area with a huge plethora of restaurants.
Darn! I keep forgetting that Pittsburgh Mills is up there! LOL You'd see lots of luxury cars in the Fox Chapel area, Yankee!

Okay, seriously now. You want Peter's Township in Washington County. The school district is smaller than Mt. Lebanon and Upper St. Clair and it has a higher state ranking than Mt. Lebanon and Upper St. Clair. The taxes are lower in Washington County and you'll be just right next to both Upper St. Clair and Mt. Lebanon.

Bottom line: You want to look into Mt. Lebanon, Upper St. Clair, or Peter's Township. I think that Peter's Township will provide you with schools more similar to Hampton than the other two. Your wife will still be within easy driving distance to the Upper Sta. Clair malls from Peter's Township also. You can live in Peter's Township and have the suburban feel you want, but be within a 10-15 minute drive to all the action of the shopping district your wife loves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh