Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Pittsburgh Steelers fans and cultivation of players with money and support, superbowl statistics, O’Donnell leaving for Texas, coaching and why coaches leave

Old 03-08-2007, 08:41 AM

6 posts, read 35,964 times

Advertisements

I must admit guys I'm not from Pitt. But have been a fan since Neil Odonell was there in the early 90's.. I know this isnt a sports forum but I had to vent to people that I know actually care about their team. First I'd like to know why a team in such disaray can have little if no action going on this off season when it comes to picking up free agents. Theres some real good players out there and the only team I havent heard of try to get them is our team. I watch sports center every day hoping we pick up a game breaker but it seems our new coach only knows how to release one of the best dang line backers in the league. Not only that but he looks like a total idiot when Miami is willing to come to him and give a million more than he wanted to stay with us. The frustration is about to boil over. And on top of that I know Willy Parker had his good games but could we pick up one of the really good running backs that have been out there practically for sale since BIG BEN proved last year that passing wasnt gunna happen. Losing the coach is huge. But this new coach seems to be doing nothing. And I cant barley stand it anymore.... GOD HELP US STEELERS FANS..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2007, 08:59 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
Steeler fans love the Steelers even when they're in a rut. Steelers do well without the big names. They cultivate players. Some leave for the money, but others stay. The end result is a team building on strengths of many instead of relying on just a few big names. Of course, this means we always go through rebuilding phases. But it's not that bad. Everyone thought it was over when Neil O'Donnell left for Texas right after the Steelers finally made it back to a superbowl (and they lost that superbowl with O'Donnell as quarterback). But the Steelers made it back to the superbowl (and WON!) without O'Donnell because they don't spend all of their money on big names, have an eye for college talent, and cultivate new players. I'd rather have a team that wins because it's inspired, not because it has the most money to spend.

Old 03-09-2007, 11:15 PM

781 posts, read 1,619,346 times
I was born and raised in Madison Wisconsin, and Green Bay & Wisconsin fans love their team like they are family. You support them no matter what. Green Bay has an emotional investment that is secure. If the Packers ever left NO profit would be made, the money would go to the local VFW. I wish all teams/towns had this security.

I recently moved to Pittsburgh and it seems that this town supports the team regardless. I moved from IL, and Bears fans are fair weather fans. "Da Bears!" (Still suck lol)

I had no idea I would end up living here this year. 2006 I was rooting for the Steelers to win. As I was typing this I can;t recall who they played? It was the Hawks, with Holmgren as coach, Or was it the Colts? Looking back it could look like I only want Holmgren to win with the Packers.

I loved the Steelers the day Yancey Thigpen dropped the (infamous) pass in Lambeau. (Not being snarky) No harm; no foul, they both moved on, and neither team won the Superbowl, yet they were both class acts, coaches & teams.

Why did Bill Cowher leave? Was it his decision?

Last edited by Sideblinded; 03-09-2007 at 11:24 PM..

Old 03-10-2007, 12:28 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideblinded View Post
Why did Bill Cowher leave? Was it his decision?
It was mutual. He wanted big bucks; the Steelers don't pay big bucks. That's about as mutual as it can get.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh