Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 12:03 PM

238 posts, read 728,891 times

Advertisements

Hello forumnites!

Long time lurker, but first time posting. My wife and I are in the search of a nice city to raise our eight and a half months baby. First of all, I'm originally from Valencia, Venezuela and we are searching for a city with a mix of urban and suburb enviroment and of course great schools. I landed in New York City back in 94', and I was completely dischanted at the chaos, rudeness, and cultural take over from different minorities; in particular Hispanics. When I first emigrated from my country, my goal was to assimilate the American culture as much as possible. However, I learned more about other Hispanics than when I lived back home. My philosophy in regards of this issue is that if I wanted to experience the Latin American culture at its fullest extent then I would have stayed in my home country.

To make the long story short, I met my wife in Manhattan and moved to New Jersey thinking that I would find a quiter, cleaner, and better enviroment. The state of New Jersey is becoming, slowly but surely, a big slum in which most of the outpriced New Yorkers are moving into. At the same time, violent crime is increasing even in areas where normally only petty crimes were the norm. All this at an alarming fast rate. Therefore, we want to move out of the state but we have little information that can help us to asses our decision in the most effective way.

I hold a B.S. in accounting and my wife has an A.A.S. degree in paralegal studies. My question is how is the labor market for accountants and paralegals in the city of Pittsburgh? And what is the rating or status of public schools? Also, we have saved a decent amount of money for a nice house. I have heard lots of good thing about Shadyside. But are there any other areas that can be equally nice? I'm a complete sucker for Victorian style houses and Brownstones. So, what are the asking prices for these style of homes?

By the way, other areas are welcome to be mentioned; as long as it is not a Hispanic neighborhood. I'm not against multi-culturalism, but I feel very negativaly strong against anything ghetto.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2009, 03:39 PM

803 posts, read 2,969,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazonas View Post
My wife and I are in the search of a nice city to raise our eight and a half months baby. First of all, I'm originally from Valencia, Venezuela and we are searching for a city with a mix of urban and suburb enviroment and of course great schools.
"Great Schools", at least as far as Public Schools go, went the way of the covered wagon. The Parochial & Private schools here are good, though.

Quote:
I landed in New York City back in 94', and I was completely dischanted at the chaos, rudeness, and cultural take over from different minorities; in particular Hispanics.
I lived in NYC for four years, and am originally from Texas, so let me tell you.... what you saw wasn't "hispanics"... it was the melting pot of Dominicans & Puerto Ricans that have given NYC a bad name for years, but the mexican & South American communities are still there, in small numbers, and are known as hard working and largely law-abiding people...

Quote:
When I first emigrated from my country, my goal was to assimilate the American culture as much as possible. However, I learned more about other Hispanics than when I lived back home. My philosophy in regards of this issue is that if I wanted to experience the Latin American culture at its fullest extent then I would have stayed in my home country.

To make the long story short, I met my wife in Manhattan and moved to New Jersey thinking that I would find a quiter, cleaner, and better enviroment. The state of New Jersey is becoming, slowly but surely, a big slum in which most of the outpriced New Yorkers are moving into. At the same time, violent crime is increasing even in areas where normally only petty crimes were the norm. All this at an alarming fast rate. Therefore, we want to move out of the state but we have little information that can help us to asses our decision in the most effective way.
This is a primary concern of many immigrants from foreign lands... how to maintain your own culture and learn the new one, all the while not being overly-assimilated into something you don't recognize, or being associated with the negative stereotypes. America is many things, but over all, it is a place where opportunity IS there, but only for those who aren't afraid to get in the mosh pit and sweat it out for a few years, until the right opportunity comes along.

Quote:
I hold a B.S. in accounting and my wife has an A.A.S. degree in paralegal studies. My question is how is the labor market for accountants and paralegals in the city of Pittsburgh? And what is the rating or status of public schools? Also, we have saved a decent amount of money for a nice house. I have heard lots of good thing about Shadyside. But are there any other areas that can be equally nice? I'm a complete sucker for Victorian style houses and Brownstones. So, what are the asking prices for these style of homes?
You can find NICE housing in Pittsburgh in the $70,000 - $150,000 range. And with degrees, you shouldn't have too much trouble finding gainful employ. Just remember that the cost of living is cheaper here, as is the housing prices... so the wages will be lower, as well.

Quote:
By the way, other areas are welcome to be mentioned; as long as it is not a Hispanic neighborhood. I'm not against multi-culturalism, but I feel very negativaly strong against anything ghetto.
I don't even think there IS a neighborhood that could be considered "Hispanic".... there are a few families here & there, scattered around, but Pittsburgh is NOT a big attraction for Hispanic families. They largely go to places like NY/NJ, Chicago and to the more rural areas of the midwest.

Pittsburgh is largely black & white.... in more ways than one.

What you see here is what you get, but it is a great place, overall, in comparison to the larger US cities!

Come visit us, and have a look around!!!!!

Old 01-12-2009, 03:53 PM

12,529 posts, read 17,536,827 times
I'll take a wild guess and say the chances of you finding a fellow countryman in Pittsburgh is going to be very slim.

About the only concentration of Hispanics I've seen has been in the Beechview area along the T, small, but growing.

I think Pgh'ers of all races welcome anyone into this area that works hard, just my two cents.

Old 01-14-2009, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by By~Tor View Post
"Great Schools", at least as far as Public Schools go, went the way of the covered wagon. The Parochial & Private schools here are good, though.

I lived in NYC for four years, and am originally from Texas, so let me tell you.... what you saw wasn't "hispanics"... it was the melting pot of Dominicans & Puerto Ricans that have given NYC a bad name for years, but the mexican & South American communities are still there, in small numbers, and are known as hard working and largely law-abiding people...

This is a primary concern of many immigrants from foreign lands... how to maintain your own culture and learn the new one, all the while not being overly-assimilated into something you don't recognize, or being associated with the negative stereotypes. America is many things, but over all, it is a place where opportunity IS there, but only for those who aren't afraid to get in the mosh pit and sweat it out for a few years, until the right opportunity comes along.

You can find NICE housing in Pittsburgh in the $70,000 - $150,000 range. And with degrees, you shouldn't have too much trouble finding gainful employ. Just remember that the cost of living is cheaper here, as is the housing prices... so the wages will be lower, as well.

I don't even think there IS a neighborhood that could be considered "Hispanic".... there are a few families here & there, scattered around, but Pittsburgh is NOT a big attraction for Hispanic families. They largely go to places like NY/NJ, Chicago and to the more rural areas of the midwest.

Pittsburgh is largely black & white.... in more ways than one.

What you see here is what you get, but it is a great place, overall, in comparison to the larger US cities!

Come visit us, and have a look around!!!!!

In fact, we are taking a trip to Pittsburgh, as soon as winter is over. Can't wait to go though.....cheers!!!

Old 01-14-2009, 05:23 AM

By the way, I have been reading a lot about Crafton. How far is it from downtown Pittsburgh? Is Crafton a save place to live?

Thanks

Old 01-14-2009, 07:49 AM

2,193 posts, read 5,801,316 times
Crafton is a nice little area. It's not far from downtown, only a few miles.

Old 01-14-2009, 08:07 AM

33 posts, read 96,714 times
Default accounting jobs

In reference to your question about accounting jobs, I think that is one area where the job market is still doing fairly well in Pittsburgh. Particularly if you are interested in trying out public accounting, they always seem to be hiring. And as a minority in Pittsburgh, many businesses are looking to fulfill diversity policies, so you might have better luck.

Old 01-17-2009, 11:53 AM

457 posts, read 1,279,806 times
If you don't like NYC, NJ or Philly, then you defiantely will hate Pittsburgh.

Old 01-17-2009, 12:32 PM

22,558 posts, read 47,614,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sr1234 View Post
Well, I'll disagree with that.
I don't like NJ or Philly... and I really like Pittsburgh!

Old 01-17-2009, 12:56 PM

12,529 posts, read 17,536,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sr1234 View Post

I'm not following the logic in that statement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh