Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 05:18 PM

1,164 posts, read 2,058,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazzwell View Post
We can make NO remarks on square footage. If we do and we're wrong, it could fall back on us in a lawsuit. "Well, the agent said....". Any agent worth the license will at most suggest where you could find it independently.
I'm sorry if I offended anyone, I was just jumping to the most logical conclusion. But this explanation does beg the question - Why are only realtors in Pittsburgh afraid of being sued?

Anyhow, this is just frustration. There are many neighborhoods here, and that alone is pretty overwhelming. You tell the realtor that you want a house around 1600 square feet and the homes you're sent to are too small. Or they're too big. You try to do a search on the Remax site, enter the square footage, and get no results. Maybe I'm not that patient - my first house in Chicago was the fourth I looked at after doing the internet research. My home in Houston was the third. Here it could take months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2009, 08:50 PM

1,440 posts, read 4,415,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyev View Post
I'm sorry if I offended anyone, I was just jumping to the most logical conclusion. But this explanation does beg the question - Why are only realtors in Pittsburgh afraid of being sued?
I wasn't in the business when it happened but my understanding is a lawsuit was filed over square footage. Everyone named in the suit, most importantly the local MLS system, lost the case and paid big money. After that there was to be no, zip, zero, nada mention of square footage anywhere on the system. Again, I don't have particulars, just the outline. However, another local MLS system that is almost specific to a single county still allows SF. Then again, they weren't involved in that case.

Old 01-15-2009, 09:25 PM

52 posts, read 206,927 times
A Google search of "Real estate" + "square footage" + "lawsuit" -"commercial supports Bazzwell's account, producing some 14,600 hits, including discussions in numerous other City-Data forums. A quick look at some of the results indicates any number of suits of this sort in different locales.

As an example, this link to a real estate blog site details a suit in Texas where the buyers successfully sued over a shortchange of 253 sq.ft. even after signing a waiver that stated their purchase decision was not based upon listing details supplied by the real estate listing firm, but rather upon independent and 3rd party sources:

Real Estate Blog - Listing Agent pays buyer for square footage - OUCH

Old 01-16-2009, 08:08 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
I must say I find this situation odd. Here in metro Denver, sqare footage is shown, with the usual disclaimer. Ditto when we lived in Albany, NY.

Old 01-19-2009, 08:08 AM

518 posts, read 2,531,166 times
I do find this odd, being that I live 50 miles from Pittsburgh, and my county shows square footage and that was one of the key things I looked at when buying a house. I know they are not exact, but they do give you a good estimate of how big a house is. It makes it much more convenient when browsing online to know the size. A 3 bed/2 bath home could have 1,100 square feet, or 2,500 square feet, and those are 2 houses are of completely different sizes.

Old 01-19-2009, 08:20 AM

718 posts, read 2,078,594 times
Would you reject a house if it had 1650 square feet? I think not. Square footage is subjective at best. Take 3 realtors and 3 bank appraisers and a couple of builders, spin them around 3 times and you will have varying numbers for square footage. If the house meets your every day living criteria, isn't that more important? Your frame of reference, Texas, wherein square footage is widely publicized explains your need to know. Check the tax records. They may be a bit more accurate. Happy hunting!

Old 01-19-2009, 07:20 PM

209 posts, read 820,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazzwell View Post
We can make NO remarks on square footage. If we do and we're wrong, it could fall back on us in a lawsuit. "Well, the agent said....". Any agent worth the license will at most suggest where you could find it independently.
I agree with Tallysmom as I am looking for approx the same size home.

Your Real estate association/MLS whatever needs to get their act together. I have no interest in walking through 1200-4000 sq ft homes and calculating sq footage.

Exactly what service do you provide if not to find a suitable home for your buyer?

Old 01-19-2009, 08:23 PM

12,529 posts, read 17,536,827 times
I think those of you that insist on sf being included are picking nits. How many of you can tell me how much sf your house contains? What is the sf of the master bedroom? When you look for a house, do you ask about the sf of the garage? I'm guessing you just ask how many cars it houses.

This is a very litigious society, the local PGH mls has lawyers on its board. I think they know best.

Old 01-19-2009, 08:35 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnKK View Post
Would you reject a house if it had 1650 square feet? I think not. Square footage is subjective at best. Take 3 realtors and 3 bank appraisers and a couple of builders, spin them around 3 times and you will have varying numbers for square footage. If the house meets your every day living criteria, isn't that more important? Your frame of reference, Texas, wherein square footage is widely publicized explains your need to know. Check the tax records. They may be a bit more accurate. Happy hunting!
There are 3 BR houses that are 1000 sq. feet and ones that are 4000 sq. ft. There's no point to wasting one's time looking at houses you have no intention of buying. If someone wants a 1600 sq. ft. house, they do not need to be shown 1000 sq. ft homes nor 4000 sq ft homes. This is something that seems fairly unique to the Pittsburgh area. Insulting Texans or anyone else is against the TOS and shows a lack of knowledge of Texans.

Old 01-19-2009, 09:40 PM

1,440 posts, read 4,415,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Condorll View Post
Exactly what service do you provide if not to find a suitable home for your buyer?

The slightly insulting tone of your question really isn't deserved. This is a rule set by the regional MLS system which we have no control over. Your complaint is with them, not the individual agent. To break said rule is to put our membership in jeopardy and possibly receive a hefty fine. No sale is worth that, period.

That's the final word from me on this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh