Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 03:19 PM

803 posts, read 2,971,212 times

Advertisements

So, the diehard Cowboys fan in me sees this whole Brett Favre thing going on, and is sickened by the positions both sides have taken... the Packers, for being so vehement about not wanting him back, and brett, for wanting an immense amount of money to NOT play... although, I can understand his side, as well...

But, as storied a franchise as Green Bay is, what if Favre had been a Steeler all these years?.... It is my studied opinion that Bradshaw would have been able to play first string as long as he could not let the colostomy bag burst onfield.... one thing, is the Steelers seem to worship "tradition" and respect those who helped 'em make it.... Bleier, Harris, Bradshaw. . . . and now, Big Ben...

If Favre HAD been a Steeler,. how do you think this whole ordeal might have played out differently, if at all?.....

I'm really curious to see where this thread goes, too.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2008, 03:48 PM

69 posts, read 295,554 times
I tell you 1 thing, the steelers wasn't going to offer anybody including Brett Farve 35 million dollars to stay retired. So at the end of the day imho, they would have ended up trading Brett Farve. I don't even think Brett Farve would have played that many years for the steelers like he did with the packers, because they are too cheap to pay anybody, especially high caliber players like Brett Farve.

Old 08-04-2008, 07:32 PM

12,527 posts, read 17,558,364 times
Look what they did to Franco, it's business. Favre is a "jagoff", for the last 3-4 years he's always toyed with retirement and leaves the Packer management hanging as to how to draft. Last year he says he retires, they go with the new guy. Now he wants to come back. Sorry, time to move on. I'd trade him to a lousy team. And I'd do the same to Bradshaw. No player is bigger than the game.

Old 08-04-2008, 07:47 PM

25 posts, read 101,153 times
Steelers would've traded him and drafted a young QB.

Old 08-05-2008, 06:04 AM

2,269 posts, read 3,803,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrayyBall View Post
I tell you 1 thing, the steelers wasn't going to offer anybody including Brett Farve 35 million dollars to stay retired. So at the end of the day imho, they would have ended up trading Brett Farve. I don't even think Brett Farve would have played that many years for the steelers like he did with the packers, because they are too cheap to pay anybody, especially high caliber players like Brett Farve.
People are still spouting bull**** about the Rooney's being cheap. Were they cheap when they signed Big Ben? How about Troy? The fact is, under a salary cap, there is a limit to what you can spend. Hard decisions have to be made, and good players have to be allowed to walk. The Steelers have done a good job making these decisions, which is why they have been the NFL's most successful franchise since they rose out of the 40 year slumber in 1972. The Patriots have let several big names walk in recent years, because they understand how the cap works. Teams who do what the 49ers did, playing around with the cap to try to keep everybody, eventually end up in cap hell. The 49ers are awful now. The Steelers haven't seen a 12 loss season since 1969. I think the Rooneys know what they're doing.

Old 08-06-2008, 07:18 AM

85 posts, read 308,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herodotus View Post
Teams who do what the 49ers did, playing around with the cap to try to keep everybody, eventually end up in cap hell. The 49ers are awful now. The Steelers haven't seen a 12 loss season since 1969. I think the Rooneys know what they're doing.
The 49ers are bad because of their change in management (they got rid of their last winning coach, steve murucci). Don't blame it on the cap. Good management finds a way to win. Just look at the Redskins, they have paid more than almost every team over the last five years, and what has it got them? A few playoff appearances, but mostly mediocrity.

Old 08-06-2008, 09:18 AM

2,269 posts, read 3,803,924 times
Good cap management is part of the game. Teams that try to get around the cap eventually fail. Teams that make the hard choices, and do it correctly tend to be successful long term.

Old 01-30-2009, 10:36 PM

172 posts, read 844,157 times
he would have been bad, because the Steelers are bad

Old 01-31-2009, 08:02 AM

22,606 posts, read 47,717,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gfspeople View Post
he would have been bad, because the Steelers are bad
Obviously someone does not know who's in the Super Bowl tomorrow....

Old 01-31-2009, 08:25 AM

362 posts, read 919,765 times
The worst thing they did was hold on to Kordell "Hall of Fame" Stewart at QB, WAY TOO LONG.

I don't play the "what if" game so I have no comment on the Farve "what if" question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh