Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2008, 01:58 PM

3,256 posts, read 8,903,771 times

Advertisements

We're possibly moving to the Pitts area for a 6 month contract. We'd love a charming area with houses that have some character, as well as an area that decorates their shopping areas really pretty for Christmas time like a lot of the historic downtowns do. A cute downtown area with a few shops and restaurants is desirable. Since it's only for a short time, it doesn't have to be super CHEAP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2008, 02:15 PM

2,193 posts, read 5,804,807 times
Are you actually looking to live in the Pittsburgh city proper, or the suburbs while here for a short time?

Old 08-29-2008, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dugdogmaster View Post
Are you actually looking to live in the Pittsburgh city proper, or the suburbs while here for a short time?
It looks like the place is near the Ohio River in 15212 zip code, so not exactly what that's considered. We'd like something within 20 minutes to his work so as long as it's not high crime than I guess it doesn't matter.

We don't want to pay $2000/month or anything because we're hoping to put a lot of the money in to savings, but maybe $1100? higher if utilities could be included and if it's pretty nice and in a very "cute" area. We're coming from Florida, so I don't to freeze my a** off if I can't at least have a memorable Christmas while I'm doing it

We do have small children, so that might be the factor in where.

Old 08-29-2008, 09:38 PM

2,193 posts, read 5,804,807 times
You can find nice places to rent in good neighborhoods well below your price range, as well as within it. I'm not sure if that zip code is in the bad or good part of the North Side(North Side is in the city limits), but there's plenty of good neighborhoods all well within your 20 minute criteria. Pretty much all of the East End section of the city is nice to live in, avoid Homewood, Lincoln-Lemington-Larimer. And since you're new to the area avoid the Hill District and Bluff as well, though they're not as bad as some make it out to be.

Last edited by dugdogmaster; 08-29-2008 at 09:49 PM..

Old 08-30-2008, 07:22 AM

9 posts, read 29,692 times
Sewickley.

Old 08-30-2008, 10:12 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
Beaver, PA, though it might be a little out of your driving range. Cute town.

Old 08-30-2008, 01:56 PM

Sewickley is more of the distance we were thinking. I'll see if I can find any pics of that area. Although, my husband said he doesn't mind up to a 45 minute drive, I'm concerned about the commute if the weather isn't so good.

Old 08-30-2008, 02:00 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
The weather won't slow you down very many days in the winter.

Old 08-30-2008, 02:07 PM

The pics i can find of Sewickley look appealing. Christmas card looking kinda place is what I want really. Anyone know if they have ice skating in the park there?

Old 08-30-2008, 02:25 PM

25 posts, read 104,492 times
Default small town with strong family focus - Sewickley, PA

Hi....do try Sewickley, PA

It is a small town, nicknamed "the Village" that is very family focused. The hangout spots are the ice cream shop, the Italian ice shop, bakery, bagel store, or coffee shop. It has one of the better school districts in the state. a public library that is open seven days a week and lots of free or inexpensive cultural activities.

The Village is fitness-oriented and you will often find folks walking, jogging, biking, pushing baby strollers or being on leash duty any time of the day or evening. You're about 25 minutes from both the Pittsburgh International Airport in one direction and downtown Pittsburgh in the other direction.

Sewickley is holding its annual Fall Harvest Festival in a couple of weeks and it's a real crowd pleaser. One of the community's main streets is blocked and the scene is wall to wall people. Community groups advertise their programs, crafts and international fare can be purchased, and musical groups entertain with great tunes.

Think community events like plays, art shows, and spaghetti dinners, turkey dinners, pancake breakfasts, fish fries, salsa dancing in the streets, multigenerational families, farmers markets, Halloween dress up parade, flowers on the curb and flags hanging from flagpoles and you get a pretty great picture of the community known as Sewickley, PA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh