Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 06:26 AM

889 posts, read 2,573,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuwaver88 View Post
How about Alexander's Grahm Bell in in Market Square. The tables all had telephones that could call one another. "Gee, that girl at table six sure is cute, maybe I'll call her and see if she wants to...you know."
That place was great fun. And I don't think there's ever been another like it anywhere (that copied it's phone system at each table idea).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2011, 07:25 AM

1 posts, read 16,882 times
Does anyone remember the T & I Lounge in Braddock (Rankin)?

Old 05-26-2011, 06:17 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,886,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeo View Post
Zaks Fourth Avenue downtown
Was this a gay bar, maybe between Smithfield and Wood?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeAye Native View Post
That place was great fun. And I don't think there's ever been another like it anywhere (that copied it's phone system at each table idea).
Popular at a club on Wisconsin Avenue NW near Tenley Circle (Washington DC) in the early 1970s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeljacksonsfirstgirlf View Post
Remember the "Library" in the Bank Center located in downtown Pgh? It was a disco during the late 70's and early 80's. Anyone remember the other bars in the Bank Center?
Where was the Bank Center?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhondee View Post
"Heaven" was an awesome looking disco,too that was also in a former bank ( but I can't remember which street or building it was?) with the turned marble staircases,etc. I was there only once and I was still a teen then.
I remember how elegant it looked!
Was it gay? I know I went to a disco in a building that looked like a bank sometime during a visit in 1986.

Old 05-26-2011, 09:56 PM

12,529 posts, read 17,535,105 times
I think Heaven turned into a gay bar every Friday after 9 PM. (from what I've read)

Old 05-27-2011, 03:06 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,222,218 times
Originally Posted by rhondee
"Heaven" was an awesome looking disco,too that was also in a former bank ( but I can't remember which street or building it was?) with the turned marble staircases,etc. I was there only once and I was still a teen then.

The only "Heaven" I remember is the one which use to be on Sixth Street in where the Renaissance Hotel is located now. It was elegant and had marble staircases. Use to be packed and lines started backing across towards the bridge before midnight on weekends. This was the one owned by Robin Fernandez back in the early 2000s.

There was one before that many years before in the same location during the disco era. Here is a write up on it;
http://www.discomusic.com/clubs-more/11747_0_6_0_C/

Was it gay? I know I went to a disco in a building that looked like a bank sometime during a visit in 1986.

The most recent one WASN'T a gay club, but I don't know about the previous one. That was before I moved here.

Old 05-28-2011, 07:21 AM

15,141 posts, read 27,756,930 times
Wow, what memories. There was a VIP Lounge in Bridgeville, Studebackers, etc. Anybody remember the place that was on the rooftop around Gateway Center? Also there was a place nearby called Grapevine or something (downstairs of an office). Avanti near the airport........

Old 05-28-2011, 08:27 AM

43,011 posts, read 107,997,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhondee View Post
Heaven was located in the current Renaissance Hotel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
Where was the Bank Center?
Wood Street & Forbes. The Wood Street entrance is the current University Center for Point Park. The Forbes entrance is 314 Forbes. There may have been an entrance on 4th but I never used it if ther was. The buildings connected in the back somehow, that's why all of those little stores on the corner of Wood and Forbes remain even though there was a "center" taking up the block. It was like a little mini mall made from those old bank buildings. I recall walking through a bank vault doorway in the hallway or as an entrance into one of the shops. It was filled with little privately owned shops and eateries.

Old 05-28-2011, 09:42 PM

2,269 posts, read 3,798,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Heaven was located in the current Renaissance Hotel.

Wood Street & Forbes. The Wood Street entrance is the current University Center for Point Park. The Forbes entrance is 314 Forbes. There may have been an entrance on 4th but I never used it if ther was. The buildings connected in the back somehow, that's why all of those little stores on the corner of Wood and Forbes remain even though there was a "center" taking up the block. It was like a little mini mall made from those old bank buildings. I recall walking through a bank vault doorway in the hallway or as an entrance into one of the shops. It was filled with little privately owned shops and eateries.
Heaven wasn't in a bank, it was actually in the lobby of the Fulton Building, which is now the hotel. It opened in the late summer of 1979, weeks before I turned 21. It was renamed Mirage in the mid 80's, then reverted back to Heaven around 1990. 2001 was on the North Side, but not on the site of PNC Park. It was past the PNC Park site, on the opposite side of General Robinson St. I believe it opened around 1973 or so. They lost their liquor license sometime during the mid 70's. They closed during the early 80's. Reflections was another late 70's spot. It was located in Market Square, in the space that Walt Harper's Attic occupied during the early 70's. They had happy hour every day, and the place would be jumping at 4pm, like it was midnight on saturday. Next door was the Crazy Quilt, which featured live bands playing R&B. There were 3 Capri Pizza places that had disco's attached to them in the 80's. The Unique was Uptown on Fifth Avenue. Forbes Studio was in Oakland on Forbes, and Constantine's was on Penn in East Liberty. Happy Landing was in the Kossman Building downtown, and was renamed Celebrity in the mid 80's.

Old 05-29-2011, 11:10 AM

4,275 posts, read 7,627,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Slightly veering off topic, but where was the Bank Cinema at? Was that in the same building? What's there now?

Old 05-29-2011, 11:21 AM

34 posts, read 81,222 times
Vip in Hampton turned into Hubcaps in late 80's. Confetti's. Memories turned into Nitro I think. Harmerville had a few clubs cant remember the names.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh