U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 05:18 PM

76 posts, read 216,917 times

Advertisements

I didn't design South Florida, i was born there and have always been bored with it, but thanks for your nice comment. I did find a beautiful Second Empire Victorican, 3 story, 3 bed/2.5 bath, completely rebuilt inside with modern size baths and closets. It is in a beautiful clean block in Deutschtown, where I see all the ingredients of an exceptional urban neighborhood: park, waterfront, amazing architecture, retail, etc. The house was less than $150,000, closing on it in May. If they had Victorian brick 3 bedroom houses in Florida outside of a Disney ride, they would be 3-4 times more expensive.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2007, 09:53 PM

43,011 posts, read 100,644,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutaFL View Post
It is in a beautiful clean block in Deutschtown, where I see all the ingredients of an exceptional urban neighborhood: park, waterfront, amazing architecture, retail, etc.
I've lived in Pittsburgh almost my entire life, and I have never heard of Deutschtown until now.

I just looked it up on the internet and discovered it's in North Side.

I do know North Side very well, and I agree that the blocks that comprise Deutschtown are a nice part of North Side.

I think you're going to enjoy the area.

Welcome to Pittsburgh, OutaFL.

edited to add: I just looked at a different map that shows a larger area for Deutschtown than the other map. I hope you bought your house on the Allegheny General Hopsital side of 279 instead of the Spring Hill/Troy Hill side of 279. In other words, I hope you didn't buy in East Deutschtown.

Last edited by Hopes; 04-17-2007 at 10:02 PM..

Old 04-17-2007, 10:45 PM

38,704 posts, read 95,381,555 times
I had an acquaintance that lived in Deutschtown (bka Allegheny East). Huge, beautiful place with three full stories. She liked the area in the daytime and refused to go outside after sundown. She regarded it as worth the trade-off. I hope it's cleaned up a bit since then. Probably has; this was back before the North Side revitalization really started to take hold.

I've gotta think that if he paid around $150K for it, he's west of 279. I can't imagine anything in Troy Hill/Spring Hill is worth that kind of money, even if it's fully renovated. That area is just plain depressing to look at, even if nothing else is actually wrong with it. I rather did enjoy hanging out at the Penn Brewery though. Loved the biergarten, though I wish it had more greenery (probably not possible since it's in the shade approximately 100% of the day).

Old 04-18-2007, 05:25 AM

Yes, the house I'm buying is 1 block East of AGH, in West Deutschtown. To me, the views from these flats looking up to the hills looks like some kind of European village. Deutschtown has outrageous historic architecture. I think it is a newer name for the area. I am not sure what the future holds for East Deutschtown, but it is quite close to the Strip.

Old 04-18-2007, 07:05 AM

90,377 posts, read 111,613,088 times
Quote:
Deutschtown has outrageous historic architecture. I think it is a newer name for the area.
Yes, I too think the name is newer. When I was a kid that area it was simply called the North Side. I think giving it a trendy name is probably a marketing ploy.

Old 04-18-2007, 07:14 AM

Renaming is a marketing strategy that works, used by smart people. The name Deutschtown is based on the fact that the neighborhod was originally settled by German and Swiss immigrants - the streets often have Germanic names, so it makes sense. As a former urban planner, I can also say that the neighborhood has alot going for it.

Old 04-18-2007, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post
Yes, I too think the name is newer. When I was a kid that area it was simply called the North Side. I think giving it a trendy name is probably a marketing ploy.
That's like saying that Squirrel Hill was called the East End when you were a kid. LOL

"North Side" has always been just a broad name for many city neighborhoods in that area.

The original name for the Deutschtown area was East Allegheny.

That's why the mall was called Allegheny Center Mall and the hospital is called Allegheny General Hospital.

I'll venture a bet that you're not much older than me, PittNurse.

Perhaps you're not as familiar with all the different Pittsburgh neighborhood names since you grew up in Beaver County.

But you're right about the marketing ploy because Deutschtown is a new name.

Old 04-18-2007, 06:28 PM

Squirrel Hill was Squirrel Hill when I was a kid, and probably when my father was a kid (born 1914). (My dad, not me!) I knew about Manchester, a British name and how it was its own community at one time, but really to us from B. County, you are right, the North Side was simply the North Side. The Mexian War streets came to fame after I left.

I say Deutschtown is new, because at one time, according to my dad and many of his generation, people adopted English right away so they didn't seem like they were from the "old country", hence all the "Little Italy", "Polish Hill", etc type place names in English in Pittsburgh, Denver and many other places. Now one's ethnicity is more celebrated.

Anyway, I'm glad to see my hunch was verified.

Old 04-18-2007, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post
Squirrel Hill was Squirrel Hill when I was a kid, and probably when my father was a kid (born 1914).
East Allegheny was East Allegheny long before both of you were born.

Aren't you aware of the fact that Squirrel Hill is in the East End of Pittsburgh, just like Deutschtown is in the North Side of Pittsburgh?

I only ask because your answer about Squirrel Hill being Squirrel Hill is irrelevant to the context of what you responded to in my post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pittnurse
I knew about Manchester, a British name and how it was its own community at one time, but really to us from B. County, you are right, the North Side was simply the North Side.
If you really want to get technical, 'North Side' is the newer name of the area because the area was called Allegheny City from 1788–1907. It was officially a borough in 1828. In 1840, it became a city. Manchester was established as a borough in 1843 (as part of Allegheny City). Later when development expanded, the newly named 'Deutschtown' area became East Allegheny because it was the east side of Allegheny City. Pittsburgh was across the river----an entirely different city. In 1906-1907, Allegheny City became part of Pittsburgh.

Quote:
The Mexian War streets came to fame after I left.
I've always know that area as the Mexican War Streets, long before it became famous.

Quote:
Anyway, I'm glad to see my hunch was verified.
Yes, your hunch that Duetschtown is a new name is verified, but your belief that the area was technically called North Side is inaccurate. North Side is an entire region of many Pittsburgh neighborhoods---just like the East End is a region of many Pittsburgh neighborhoods.

Old 04-18-2007, 08:00 PM

OK, I get your point. I am aware of some of that N. Side history, though we never studied it in school. I thought Manchester was an independent borough as well, not just a part of some other place. I could be wrong, however. A city's history is fascinating. Denver has some similar neighborhoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh