Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 11:02 AM

52 posts, read 206,961 times

Advertisements

Besides Allegheny Cemetery, a few more historic architectural offerings:

Evergreen Hamlet, 1851 ~ an experimental and early American suburb, with a nice enclave of Gothic Revival houses surviving
YouTube - Pittsburgh A to Z: Evergreen Hamlet and Fish Sandwiches (see first few minutes of short video.)

Chatham Village, 1932 ~ a nationally significant planned community in Mt. Washington Chatham Village - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Frederick Sauer Houses, c.1900 - 1930s ~ In Aspinwall/Fox Chapel, a very odd group of eccentric houses and apartments in a style described (F. Toker) as borrowing from L.A.'s Watts Tower and Tolkien's Lord of the Rings Sauer Buildings Historic District, Aspinwall Borough, Allegheny County, PA 15215

Carnegie Museum of Art, 1907 - Hall of Architecture, a fine space, with a collection of architectural plaster casts intended as learning models Hall of Architecture: Carnegie Museum of Art
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2009, 01:01 PM

2,544 posts, read 4,282,950 times
I am going to be in Pittsburgh for one weekend, Feb. 7. I will have Sat. night available, and possibly a short time Sun. morning. My wife and I will be staying near the airport in Moon Twp. Are the Carson St. and/or Squirrel Hill and/or the Strip District easily accessed from the airport? What would you recommend for one evening in Pittsburgh?

Old 01-25-2009, 02:34 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,544,696 times
You'll be about 30 minutes from downtown. Do a google and look for restaurants on Mt. Washington, would be a great way to see the city since your time is limited. Walk over to the Incline and take a ride to Station Square.

Or buy a AZ Cardinals shirt, walk into any bar and see what happens.

Old 01-25-2009, 08:24 PM

2,544 posts, read 4,282,950 times
Thank you, Copanut, I will check it out.

Think I'll pass on the Cards shirt; maybe Red Wings?

LOL / not feeling suicidal

Is it a good walking area?

Old 01-26-2009, 08:24 AM

701 posts, read 2,030,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterRabbit View Post
Steepest street in the country and probably in the world:

Canton Avenue - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Pretty sure there's steeper streets in San Francisco.

Old 01-26-2009, 09:35 AM

439 posts, read 1,474,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterRabbit View Post
Steepest street in the country and probably in the world:

Canton Avenue - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

LOL, I used to head to that street every time it snowed when I was in High School to see if my 4x4 would make it up the hill.

Old 01-26-2009, 09:41 AM

29,745 posts, read 34,383,370 times
Every time I drive by there after it's snowed, there are always tire tracks going a little bit up the hill. It must be hilarious to live at the bottom there. I'd just stand in the window and watch the chuckleheads trying to drive up.

Old 01-26-2009, 10:09 AM

2,488 posts, read 2,933,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturdayskids View Post
Really? ONLY pittsburgh??

I agree with everything above aside from this statement
There are many other markets that I have seen. But none are "Like" the strip. The strip is a funky and weird Pittsburgh market place.

I love this forum. I give what I feel to be a very good low down on the places for a tourist to go which is pretty much what he is asking for, but the only response to all that writting is "really, the Strip is Only unique to Pittsburgh?"

What is wrong with this Pittsburgh forum? I just don't get it.

I already said I was leaving, but now I feel it is really worth it.

Last edited by Awesomo.2000; 01-26-2009 at 10:26 AM..

Old 01-26-2009, 06:59 PM

2,193 posts, read 5,802,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesomo.2000 View Post
There are many other markets that I have seen. But none are "Like" the strip. The strip is a funky and weird Pittsburgh market place.

I love this forum. I give what I feel to be a very good low down on the places for a tourist to go which is pretty much what he is asking for, but the only response to all that writting is "really, the Strip is Only unique to Pittsburgh?"

What is wrong with this Pittsburgh forum? I just don't get it.

I already said I was leaving, but now I feel it is really worth it.
Awe, please don't leave me. Jinxed_13 doesn't come around anymore, Creepsinc is hardly ever here..... it'll just be me and By-Tor.

I gotta agree with ya though, The Strip is unique to Pittsburgh. I too have been to different markets in different cities over quite a bit of this country, there's nothing quite like The Strip District.

Old 01-26-2009, 08:38 PM

3,131 posts, read 9,374,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beat02 View Post
Pretty sure there's steeper streets in San Francisco.
Please provide a link.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh