Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 08:27 PM

25 posts, read 45,091 times

Advertisements

they're just people. i don't really care what sinful, hedonistic, decadent, delicious, oily, lascivious acts they commit in their bedrooms. it's not like they're bangin' on the front lawn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2009, 06:26 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,320,851 times
Aveojohn Just because it is not belaten does not mean that there is less of it. In the South there are more minorities in positions of power than here. Quick...name the highest ranking politican in Pittsburgh. answer...Valerie Mcdonald (the only black in city hall) and Tonya Payne (council person for the Hill). Heck! Even Alabama had a black mayor at one point!

Old 04-13-2009, 07:01 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,154,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
Aveojohn Just because it is not belaten does not mean that there is less of it. In the South there are more minorities in positions of power than here. Quick...name the highest ranking politican in Pittsburgh. answer...Valerie Mcdonald (the only black in city hall) and Tonya Payne (council person for the Hill). Heck! Even Alabama had a black mayor at one point!
The highset ranking politican in Pittsburgh is Luke Ravenstahl.

Old 04-13-2009, 07:41 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,821,015 times
Quote:
The racism in Pittsburgh is suttle the way that it works here is through inadequate education, unfair housing practices, unequal hiring processes and nonexistant political empowerment.
inadequate education would lead to poor job choices and lower salaries. It's actually one of the biggest urban issues period. as for "unfair housing practices"? what do you mean by that? what "unequal hiring practices?"

Old 04-14-2009, 04:53 AM

2,422 posts, read 2,279,054 times
Quote:
Aghor, I agreed with you fully but until all people aqre treated equally and with respect this will never happen. I do agree with a previous poster regarding the blacks in Pgh, they are as a whole, complacent about what goes on around them and therefore do nothing but complain. A perfect example happened a couple of years ago when the police in Cincy killed a innocent blackman there and they forced the federal government to get involved in the investigation by protesting and in some cases rioting. When Johnny Gamage was Murdered by racist Brentwood cops, not only did it take over a year for the feds to get involved but the some of the cops were promoted!

As of the last 20 years there has not been one white cop sent to prison for wrongly killing a blackman in the line of duty. What is wrong with that picture!
Did ya ever think just maybe in most cases the cops life was threatened. the exception is Gamage of course.

Old 04-14-2009, 04:59 AM

Default Unqualified???

Quote:
Raynist, please understand this "our" black police chief and beloved coach of the steelers are NOT native blacks they came from somewhere else. I noticed that you did not mention the former qualified black superintendant of a predominately black school system who was ran out of town by a predominate white school board b/c he wanted to close some schoools and combine others. Meanwhile they hired a white lawyer with no education experience who did exactly what the previous super tried to do. Oh yes....he is a hero for closing one of the most intergrated and promising schools in the city. How about our previous mayors who refuse to go to the black neighborhoods unless it was election time?
Mark Roosevelt - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-14-2009, 05:21 AM

3,164 posts, read 6,703,575 times
Quote:
I think that I have found out why so many religious types hate homosexuals.
One thing I get tired of with gay men are those who feel they have to excessively flaunt it. If you want equal treatment, then don't be boastful about your sexual interests. If I as a heterosexual man where to type in multiple posts about my interests in women, I'd eventually be labeled as a chauvanist or pig or both........but it's ok to do so for gay men, and if someone speaks out about it, then those of us who are not gay are harassing them.

Old 04-14-2009, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Raynist, please understand this "our" black police chief and beloved coach of the steelers are NOT native blacks they came from somewhere else. I noticed that you did not mention the former qualified black superintendant of a predominately black school system who was ran out of town by a predominate white school board b/c he wanted to close some schoools and combine others. Meanwhile they hired a white lawyer with no education experience who did exactly what the previous super tried to do. Oh yes....he is a hero for closing one of the most intergrated and promising schools in the city. How about our previous mayors who refuse to go to the black neighborhoods unless it was election time?
[b][color=red]Here is an update on John Thomson, former superintendent of Pgh Public schools.It seems he can't get along with anyone,any where. Clayton school board fires superintendent
By MEGAN MATTEUCCI
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Saturday, March 14, 2009
The Clayton County school board has fired the superintendent brought in 11 months ago to save the troubled system’s accreditation, saying he’s now part of the problem.
John Thompson was dismissed Saturday, about a month before the 47,000-student district has one more chance to prove it deserves to be reaccredited. If it fails, the district would need to start over, a process that could take about three years.

John Thompson was fired from his post as Clayton schools superintendent three months before his contract expired.

Recent headlines:

Clayton County news

Valya Lee, assistant superintendent of student support services, was named interim superintendent. Lee, who started in Clayton in 1993 as a teacher, said she is not interested in the permanent position.
Thompson’s unanimous firing is effective immediately. He did not attend the Saturday meeting of the board.
In a prepared statement issued Saturday night, Thompson said, “The Board of Education today voted to end our employment relationship, now that the SACS report has been delivered.”
He referred to a report the Clayton school district is submitting to the accreditating agency, the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, in an attempt to regain its accreditation.
“None of the current members were on the Board when I was hired, and the Board is now in the midst of a superintendent search in which I had chosen not to participate,” Thompson said in the statement.
“Under the circumstances, the Board has every right to move in a different direction and select a superintendent with whom they can create a new relationship. I wish them well in that process.”

Last edited by toobusytoday; 04-14-2009 at 09:07 PM.. Reason: copyright

Old 04-15-2009, 05:15 PM

374 posts, read 1,285,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrpriester View Post
One thing I get tired of with gay men are those who feel they have to excessively flaunt it. If you want equal treatment, then don't be boastful about your sexual interests. If I as a heterosexual man where to type in multiple posts about my interests in women, I'd eventually be labeled as a chauvanist or pig or both........but it's ok to do so for gay men, and if someone speaks out about it, then those of us who are not gay are harassing them.

Could not have said that any better. I get tired of people calling me homophobic.

Old 04-15-2009, 05:31 PM

374 posts, read 1,285,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orwelleaut View Post
Stereotypes is what's up with that. Negative Stereotypes. There are many black males who are exemplary members of society and exemplary human beings. I have known and currently know some of these people. Unfortunately, there is also a disproportionately large population of young black males who are in prison, have criminal records, and are involved in anti-social behaviors.
While I feel bad for black males who are exemplary citizens in having to deal with these stereotypes, I also feel for those who hold the negative stereotype of black males. Most people in our society are just trying to get through the day. Some people also have a harder time getting a handle on who is trustworthy and who is not, so I think they tend to rely more on the sweeping generalizations. I have much less of a problem with these individuals than with those who have willfully engaged in anti-social behaviors, and have rightfully gotten burned by the criminal justice system. They are the ones who are creating and perpetuating the stereotypes that hurt good people.

As much as those who hold the stereotypes may anger you, I think it is best to place the blame on the source of the stereotype, and expect the young black males who are living lives of crime and bad behavior to get their acts together. The fact that there are many young black males who are, these days, living exemplary lives is proof that there is no need for the "gangster thug" routine. Unfortunately, until the "gangster thug" types become a much smaller percentage of the population of young black males than they currently are, the negative stereotypes will, I suspect, persist.

Excuse my language but this complete Bull****. As a young black male I take this in offense. What makes me a thug? Is it because I choose to use slang around my friends? Is it because I like for my pants to be a little baggy ( not sagging like some ). Has it ever occurred to some that sagging pants came from white skate boarders? It was a problem then, so why is a problem now? I am not sure if you're familiar of Sean Carter but he is a rapper turned Mogul. Lets face your excuse for non minorities to stereotype us young black male are just that A Excuse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh