Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 12:55 AM

94 posts, read 422,759 times

Advertisements

For me, I enjoy the city a lot, so my list is long...

But I will just rip off a few things.

I'm not a real big Pirates fan, but I love going to the baseball games. I love Pittsburgh Sports and the passion of our fans.

I love the southside on friday nights, a lot of energy and fun. The southside has a little bit of everything.

I love the view of downtown from Station Square, at night time, Pittsburgh is one of the most gorgeous cities in the US.

Thanks a start... what do you enjoy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2009, 08:54 AM

1,302 posts, read 4,574,244 times
Nice looking, cheap, and safe.

Old 02-16-2009, 08:23 PM

Location: Just East of the Southern Portion of the Western Part of PA
1,272 posts, read 3,707,644 times
I enjoy the many unique views of the beautiful city.

Old 02-16-2009, 08:34 PM

285 posts, read 862,015 times
I really like all of the distinct neighborhoods. It seems that not a lot of other cities comparable to Pittsburgh in size have that distinct village-like feeling to the neighborhoods.

Old 02-16-2009, 10:07 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,894,970 times
Being from the Burgh and Living in NYC for the last 9 years....

I would say:

- Being Less Crowded, yes it does start to get to a person after awhile in NY

- Affordability and being able to live alone on 800$ a month rent in a decent neighborhood, and being able to live the Manhattan lifestyle on 50k a year salary.

- That Pittsburgh is built on Neighborhoods...So many other cities are all about the downtowns and nothing else...The fact that Pittsburghs pulse happens within its neighborhoods is AMAZING and Unique.

- That the Burgh has the most "REAL" people you will ever meet, GOD you dont know how tiresome it is talking to FAKE, PRETENTIOUS, SUPERFICIAL Wanna-be actors and models all day long....and this is only in Manhattan of NYC, couldn't imagine living in LA.

- Love that Pittsburgh has the Culture, Architecture, Bustle, and Grittyness of a NYC or Philly, but doesn't come with all the Hassles of the Bigger Cities...

- That Pittsburgh is one of the most affluent cities in the country, seriously when you lived in the burgh and live in other place to compare...You really will see how much more affluent Pittsburgh is and this is even comparing Ghettos to Ghettos...

- I love how close everything is in the Burgh...How you can go from South Hills to the Strip in Less then 1/2hr, in larger cities please 1hr to 90mins at least.

Old 02-16-2009, 10:40 PM

2,193 posts, read 5,802,855 times
Everything. It is the city of all cities.

Old 02-16-2009, 11:57 PM

1,437 posts, read 3,072,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
Being from the Burgh and Living in NYC for the last 9 years....

I would say:

- Being Less Crowded, yes it does start to get to a person after awhile in NY

- Affordability and being able to live alone on 800$ a month rent in a decent neighborhood, and being able to live the Manhattan lifestyle on 50k a year salary.

- That Pittsburgh is built on Neighborhoods...So many other cities are all about the downtowns and nothing else...The fact that Pittsburghs pulse happens within its neighborhoods is AMAZING and Unique.

- That the Burgh has the most "REAL" people you will ever meet, GOD you dont know how tiresome it is talking to FAKE, PRETENTIOUS, SUPERFICIAL Wanna-be actors and models all day long....and this is only in Manhattan of NYC, couldn't imagine living in LA.

- Love that Pittsburgh has the Culture, Architecture, Bustle, and Grittyness of a NYC or Philly, but doesn't come with all the Hassles of the Bigger Cities...

- That Pittsburgh is one of the most affluent cities in the country, seriously when you lived in the burgh and live in other place to compare...You really will see how much more affluent Pittsburgh is and this is even comparing Ghettos to Ghettos...

- I love how close everything is in the Burgh...How you can go from South Hills to the Strip in Less then 1/2hr, in larger cities please 1hr to 90mins at least.
I agree with almost everything you said here. But, could you really move back to Pittsburgh and live there again? I'm asking you, do you really believe you could?

Once you get a city like NYC, LA, Chicago, San Fran, etc in your blood, it's HARD to get it out. I'm not saying you couldn't, I know others on here have. Me personally though, I couldn't. Great memories of the place, and when someone ask me where I'm from, I always say "Pittsburgh".

I'm just curious to hear from someone who's lived in NYC for 9 years about what they think. I'm sure you fantasize about it all the time because of the cost of living between the two places.

Old 02-17-2009, 12:54 AM

1,758 posts, read 4,230,638 times
PittsburghSkyline.com - Original Photography from the Great City of Pittsburgh by Matt Robinson

Old 02-17-2009, 07:48 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,894,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsteelerfan View Post
I agree with almost everything you said here. But, could you really move back to Pittsburgh and live there again? I'm asking you, do you really believe you could?

Once you get a city like NYC, LA, Chicago, San Fran, etc in your blood, it's HARD to get it out. I'm not saying you couldn't, I know others on here have. Me personally though, I couldn't. Great memories of the place, and when someone ask me where I'm from, I always say "Pittsburgh".

I'm just curious to hear from someone who's lived in NYC for 9 years about what they think. I'm sure you fantasize about it all the time because of the cost of living between the two places.
If my job was in Pittsburgh - I would move back in a heart beat...

A couple of things people who've never left Pittsburgh and have this mentality that everywhere but Pittsburgh is better....

I love NYC for its Pulse and 24/7'ness, but there's alot that will weigh on a Pittsburgher living in NYC after so long...

1.) Pittsburghers are used to having their own space, and unless you're making 6 figures that's NOT happening in NYC...

2.) When a Pittsburgher puts down 1500$ a month in Rent you best believe we're living in a POSH Downtown or Shadyside Apt.....New York either you're living with 4 other roommate in a 2 bd apt in Manhattan or you're living in an Outer borough.

3.) NY is so fast, you will Trust me miss the more steady pace of the burgh....Again Im speaking after living in NY for 9yrs.

4.) If you truely call yourself a Burgher...You will only be able to put up with Fake Superfical Additudes of 7th Ave for so long before you want to scream. (Watch the City or the Hills if you want to get an idea of what Im talking about).

Again dont get me wrong I Love NYC everyday life and if I could have some of that in Pittsburgh mainly the convenince and 24/7'ness (some of which Oakland and Southside already bring) it would be total icing on the cake...But sometimes Less is More if you catch my drift.

I dare someone to find me a Person who's still in love with NYC as much as when they first moved to NY and has been here just as long as I have....The Glitz and Glam of NY really starts to wear off in about 3yrs I would say.

Old 02-17-2009, 09:46 AM

1,437 posts, read 3,072,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
If my job was in Pittsburgh - I would move back in a heart beat...

A couple of things people who've never left Pittsburgh and have this mentality that everywhere but Pittsburgh is better....

I love NYC for its Pulse and 24/7'ness, but there's alot that will weigh on a Pittsburgher living in NYC after so long...

1.) Pittsburghers are used to having their own space, and unless you're making 6 figures that's NOT happening in NYC...

2.) When a Pittsburgher puts down 1500$ a month in Rent you best believe we're living in a POSH Downtown or Shadyside Apt.....New York either you're living with 4 other roommate in a 2 bd apt in Manhattan or you're living in an Outer borough.

3.) NY is so fast, you will Trust me miss the more steady pace of the burgh....Again Im speaking after living in NY for 9yrs.

4.) If you truely call yourself a Burgher...You will only be able to put up with Fake Superfical Additudes of 7th Ave for so long before you want to scream. (Watch the City or the Hills if you want to get an idea of what Im talking about).

Again dont get me wrong I Love NYC everyday life and if I could have some of that in Pittsburgh mainly the convenince and 24/7'ness (some of which Oakland and Southside already bring) it would be total icing on the cake...But sometimes Less is More if you catch my drift.

I dare someone to find me a Person who's still in love with NYC as much as when they first moved to NY and has been here just as long as I have....The Glitz and Glam of NY really starts to wear off in about 3yrs I would say.
You're preaching to the choir with me about NYC. It may take a kid in his 20's 3 years before the novelty of NYC wears off, but someone in their 30's or 40's I'd say less time than that. That's assuming that they've done some travelling around the country and seen what other cities have to offer too.

Thanks for repling back by the way, I appreciate it.

After I moved away from Pittsburgh, I tried moving back a few times. Money or job was never an issue with me there. It's just after living in other cities, a few weeks back in the Burgh and I started to climb the walls. I don't have kids though, and that in itself makes a big difference, especially in terms of quality of life when living in other cities with high cost of living.

I said this before in another thread, the things that I would miss about Pittsburgh, or hate about the other cities that I lived in, changed once I went back to Pittsburgh. Things like paying alot more for a drink in a bar, in a city like NYC compared to Pittsburgh. But the thing I realized, paying that extra money in a bar in NYC is sometimes worth it, just cause of the 'fun factor'. I'm not saying you can't have a great time in the bars of the Burgh (especially during football season), but the NYC experience can be so much more exciting and fun. I guess being exposed to all the other races is something I would miss too.

Funny thing is, when I first moved from Pittsburgh, I really didn't like being around all those immigrants. Now, I couldn't imagine living in a city that doesn't have a big population of them.

Pittsburgh is with out a doubt, the BEST city in America for the 'working class'. It offers everything you'd basically find anywhere else (albeit in a smaller scale), without going broke trying to maintain a decent lifestyle.

With me though, I could NEVER afford a nice house in areas like Shadyside. If I could, who knows, maybe I'd be back in the Burgh tommorow. The way I look at it, if I have to be an 'average Joe', I'd rather do it elsewhere. I'd rather be a small fish in a big pond, as opposed to being a big fish in a small pond. Not that I'd even be a "big fish" in Pittsburgh, cause I wouldn't.

I can tell your from Pittsburgh though. Most people in NYC drink the so-called "kool-aid", and talk about it and act like life doesn't exist west of the Hudson. And I can tell, that you're well aware that most of them don't even live that great of a lifestyle there (in terms of living conditions). Fancy job titles and designers clothers, yet they go home every night to a small apt with a roommates (sometimes a bunch).

The 'down to earth' attitude, is one of Pittburgh's greatest assets. The people there have a different outlook on life compared to alot of other places around the country. And they don't have to be educated to be able to understand and grasp problems that others can't. Alot of NY'ers brag about things that a Pittburgh'er would laugh at. Especially when they start bragging about what they have, meanwhile they can't even afford to live by themselves.

If you do move back, good luck with your transition......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh