Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 02:02 PM

350 posts, read 1,117,544 times

Advertisements

When we started out 30 years ago, we didn't have a pot to pee in. Lots of pot.. nothing to pee in (just kidding). But seriously... we didn't have much, but it was some of the best times of our lives. Fast forward.. we're doing well, we have a great home without a huge mortgage, our vehicles are paid for, we don't take big vacations or wear a lot of jewelry, we shop discount... but if you add up mortgage, homeowners, utilities, food, gas, medical, clothes, just the basics... it is hard to make ends meet. This doesn't include any credit card payments (which we don't have). And taxes??? forget about it.. Any extra money we eek out just gets eaten up in taxes. Its a hard knock life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2009, 01:22 AM

94 posts, read 422,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
a Ford Focus costs (edmunds.com base price) 14395. An Escalade costs 55990. There's WHOLE ton of middle ground there.

Oh I would never buy a car NEW... such a rip off. I got my escalade 4 years old for only 22K, more than half of what it retails for.

Old 02-24-2009, 02:13 AM

1,437 posts, read 3,072,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReason View Post
Can anybody relate?

I'm not rich by any means, but I am doing very well for myself.

3 years ago I was making less than 30K a year. I had a decent car, an apt, everything I need in it, a gym membership, food in my fridge, and enough extra spending money to go out on the weekends, and take a vacation here and there. I should also mention that I'm single.

Now, I'm making about tripple that, my lifestyle hasnt really changed other than the fact I live in a nicer place and have a nicer car naturally... But I have about the same amount of money in the bank now as I did then, and it seems like at the end of the month after I pay all the bills, my bank account is low just like it was then.

I dont even know where I'm going with all this... I just thought that I'd be better well off than I am.

I guess my question is... Who else is not exactly poor, has a decent job, but is still living month 2 month?
You want the "reason", "TheReason"? Cause even though you're making a good buc (especially for Pittsburgh), it really ain't alot of money. If the salaries of those Wall Street guys and CEO's, that have been listed in the papers or news channels, hasn't made this sink in, nothing will.

Your small potatoes my man, in the big picture that is. I laugh inside when someone brags to me about making 100 grand a year. I always think to myself, "Ya, and"? It todays world, that ain't $hit! You better marry someone who makes a 100 grand a year too!

You have to learn to budget your money, bottom line. Save atleast 10% of your take home pay, always pay yourself first!

Old 02-24-2009, 03:15 AM

94 posts, read 422,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsteelerfan View Post
You want the "reason", "TheReason"? Cause even though you're making a good buc (especially for Pittsburgh), it really ain't alot of money. If the salaries of those Wall Street guys and CEO's, that have been listed in the papers or news channels, hasn't made this sink in, nothing will.

Your small potatoes my man, in the big picture that is. I laugh inside when someone brags to me about making 100 grand a year. I always think to myself, "Ya, and"? It todays world, that ain't $hit! You better marry someone who makes a 100 grand a year too!

You have to learn to budget your money, bottom line. Save atleast 10% of your take home pay, always pay yourself first!

Thats the truth.

I never claimed to be rich though........

Old 02-24-2009, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Thats the truth.

I never claimed to be rich though........
I know you didn't, and I know you ain't bragging either. I'm talking about those guys at the bars, you know the types.

In today's world, 500 grand a year, you ain't rich. It's so easy to spend it, and so many expensive cities to do it in.

Rich people (atleast what I consider to be rich), are worth tens of millions of dollars. Sure your considered a millionaire if your total assests are worth more than a million after you liquidate. But, how far is a million or two going to last over the long haul? If you watch it carefully, a lifetime, but you wouldn't be living like a "rich" person now would you?

Old 02-24-2009, 06:15 AM

9 posts, read 33,931 times
I think 'rich' is more of a relative concept, actually. Try telling someone on minimum wage that 100K per year isn't 'rich'.....

Old 02-24-2009, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphabetsoup View Post
I think 'rich' is more of a relative concept, actually. Try telling someone on minimum wage that 100K per year isn't 'rich'.....
I realize that, but ignorance doesn't change the fact that a 100 grand a year, in the big picture, really ain't nothing.

People who make 10 bucs an hr, think that making 15 an hr is like making 50 an hr. It's all relative, but the reality is different from perception.

I ain't saying that a 100 grand a year ain't a good salary (especially in Pittsburgh), but the purchasing power in today's world, it just doesn't go that far (especially when raising a family). And there are alot of parts of this country (both coasts), where you would still have to basically rent cause you couldn't afford a house with that salary.

Old 02-24-2009, 08:39 AM

9 posts, read 33,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsteelerfan View Post
...there are a lot of parts of this country (both coasts), where you would still have to basically rent cause you couldn't afford a house with that salary.
That's very true. Honestly, I've no idea how 'regular' people (i.e, those that aren't earning triple figures) can afford to live in New York, Boston, SF, Seattle etc. I've often been tempted by some of the larger cities, for obvious reasons - but on reflection I've always decided against such a move. I mean, what's the point in living in a place where you can only just (if at all) make ends meet, and can't afford to do any of the fabulous things those cities are renowned for anyway?

Old 02-24-2009, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphabetsoup View Post
That's very true. Honestly, I've no idea how 'regular' people (i.e, those that aren't earning triple figures) can afford to live in New York, Boston, SF, Seattle etc. I've often been tempted by some of the larger cities, for obvious reasons - but on reflection I've always decided against such a move. I mean, what's the point in living in a place where you can only just (if at all) make ends meet, and can't afford to do any of the fabulous things those cities are renowned for anyway?
That's the 'illusion' most people are blindfolded by until they move to those cities, and reality kicks in, along with the BIG bills!

Old 02-24-2009, 10:46 AM

15,638 posts, read 26,256,044 times
Quote:
Oh I would never buy a car NEW... such a rip off. I got my escalade 4 years old for only 22K, more than half of what it retails for.
So, see? You're not an idiot. You can cut back your spending and learn to save, you just have to make it a priority.

By the way -- I always buy new cars..... and I pay cash.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh