Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 08:53 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,586,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrpriester View Post
You mean whine like you do in your blog?
I whine about how much I hate my own life, but never do I fault anyone else for my own shortcomings. I own up to them. I realize that I'm depressed because of my own setbacks whereas most others here in Pennsylvania DEFLECT their frustrations onto "da city", "da county", "da area", "da mayor", "da city console", etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2009, 11:35 AM

91 posts, read 138,994 times
What I don't get is if you love Pittsburgh and the way we talk, why'd ya leave?
Go Steelers!

Last edited by rubybelle; 02-23-2009 at 11:49 AM..

Old 02-23-2009, 11:43 AM

288 posts, read 1,554,891 times
1. Stopping at a yield sign.
2. Driving under the speed limit in the left lane.
3. Steelers Fans. It's one thing to go wild over a team, but don't go bugs on someone who isn't a fan.

Old 02-24-2009, 03:23 PM

94 posts, read 289,617 times
If you aren't originally from the area and aren't a Steelers fan, you will always feel like an outsider. At least I have.

Old 02-24-2009, 06:21 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,700,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh1981 View Post
If you aren't originally from the area and aren't a Steelers fan, you will always feel like an outsider. At least I have.
I know how you feel; I followed the Steelers statistic by statistic in the late 70's-80's. I began to have a dislike for professional athletes. We have enjoyed watching the games, but I don't consider myself a fan at all, and get tired of the infatuation with the team. There is so much more to this city than that football team.

We were just at the Barnes and Noble at the Waterfront, and we walked past this display of Steelers books, and in typical "me" fashion, I ran up to the display like a little boy and simulated me taking my hand pushing all the books off of the display.

Old 02-24-2009, 09:39 PM

8 posts, read 31,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrpriester View Post
I know how you feel; I followed the Steelers statistic by statistic in the late 70's-80's. I began to have a dislike for professional athletes. We have enjoyed watching the games, but I don't consider myself a fan at all, and get tired of the infatuation with the team. There is so much more to this city than that football team.

We were just at the Barnes and Noble at the Waterfront, and we walked past this display of Steelers books, and in typical "me" fashion, I ran up to the display like a little boy and simulated me taking my hand pushing all the books off of the display.
I agree. It gets really tiresome here. It hurts the city overall in a number of indirect ways in my opinion. Like there's nothing else to live for. It's depressing and people from other cities make fun of Pittsburgh for it all the time. It's really childish for 50 year old men to wear game jerseys... actually, it's really childish for anyone over the age of 14 to wear a game jersey. But that's all you see in Pittsburgh... makes everyone look like we're a bunch of stupid rednecks.

Old 02-24-2009, 09:58 PM

524 posts, read 1,036,135 times
What's with all the haters? No one is forcing you to wear a game jersey if you don't want to, and why should age be an issue - aren't 50 year old men allowed to be fans, too? Equating Steeler mania with being a redneck - where does that come from? That's a pretty judgmental attitude. I'm as far from a redneck as you can imagine, but if I feel like wearing a game jersey I will. Seriously, live and let live...

Old 02-24-2009, 11:22 PM

1,758 posts, read 4,229,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onwardandupward View Post
What's with all the haters? No one is forcing you to wear a game jersey if you don't want to, and why should age be an issue - aren't 50 year old men allowed to be fans, too? Equating Steeler mania with being a redneck - where does that come from? That's a pretty judgmental attitude. I'm as far from a redneck as you can imagine, but if I feel like wearing a game jersey I will. Seriously, live and let live...
I agree with what you are saying onward. There is nothing wrong with fanaticism. It is just waaaaay too much in this town. This is not small town USA that has nothing else to put it on the map. This is one of the best overall cities in the USA. Let's be proud of our Steelers. Even more so, let's be even more proud of everything else this city has to offer. When you take a closer look at it, the Steelers' accomplishments pale in comparison to Pittsburgh's accomplishments. That is saying a lot!

Old 02-25-2009, 07:51 AM

29,739 posts, read 34,362,964 times
Quote:
It is just waaaaay too much in this town.
That's the thing that gets me. So, yeah, the Superbowl celebration parade was fun, but I had to wonder how many of those people would have taken a day off to register voters or volunteer, or if it's just football that gets that kind of turnout and enthusiasm.

Old 02-25-2009, 01:24 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,349,217 times
This Steelers fanaticism seems similar to what people in Buffalo do. I wonder if other former rust belt cities have this for their respective teams.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh