Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 09:27 AM

3,463 posts, read 4,645,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Mizz Pittsburgh View Post
As many art galleries there are popping up all over Bloomfield, Garfield and Lawrenceville and all the other events going on down in the Cultural District, I can't believe anyone would even fix their fingers to type "uncultured people" to describe Pittsburghers......I mean, some people aren't into that, but I know many people who are (I guess I can't escape it since my daughter goes to a Creative and Performing Art's High School).
Quick, off topic question. Does CAPA have a film/video program? My daughter will be attending a similar school in SF and I wondered if there is an equivilant program in Pittsburgh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2009, 09:36 AM

2,043 posts, read 5,052,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliegt View Post
Quick, off topic question. Does CAPA have a film/video program? My daughter will be attending a similar school in SF and I wondered if there is an equivilant program in Pittsburgh.
Departments at Pittsburgh CAPA:

Dance
Instrumental
Literary Arts
Theatre
Visual Arts
Vocal

I believe theatre touches on technical theatre but I don't know how far in depth that goes....here is their website:

http://www.pps.k12.pa.us/capa/site/default.asp

Old 04-02-2009, 11:36 AM

149 posts, read 608,354 times
I must say, my most 'not favorite' thing about Pittsburgh is: I'm not there!

Old 04-02-2009, 12:29 PM

727 posts, read 1,891,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesomo.2000 View Post
You hear this all the time on this forum. It mostly comes from early 20 somethings or late teens that never lived anywhere else and think they are "cultured" because they are Emo.
I'm 30 something,lived all over america and am far from emo!!
In my experiences with Pittsburghers they only know pittsburgh. Like I could go to Giant eagles and ask them if they have jamaican curry seasoning or goya juice and they will look at me like I'm from jupiter. I'v just experienced so much ignorance in PGH when it comes to different peoples cultures. Maybe its because PGH only has a few different selection of races and ethnicities but when I lived in NY you had everybody. Maybe I'm spoiled from other cities I've lived in...maybe.

Old 04-02-2009, 12:40 PM

2,488 posts, read 2,933,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarqueseGilmore View Post
I'm 30 something,lived all over america and am far from emo!!
In my experiences with Pittsburghers they only know pittsburgh. Like I could go to Giant eagles and ask them if they have jamaican curry seasoning or goya juice and they will look at me like I'm from jupiter. I'v just experienced so much ignorance in PGH when it comes to different peoples cultures. Maybe its because PGH only has a few different selection of races and ethnicities but when I lived in NY you had everybody. Maybe I'm spoiled from other cities I've lived in...maybe.
I never said you were in your teens and emo. I said "mostly", which is true. Every kid complains about that. Do you know what culture is? My friend is from Purto Rico, He never knew what perogies were. Is he uncultured? The percentage of people that only know what is in their place is probably the same everywhere.

I am happy for you living in other cities.

me is a pixburger. me nevir lived in another city before. Yippy i sure wants to visit some other place then hear. I onlys bin to greensburg. I went to this chi-chis down there. It was all weird like. They had this exotic salsa stuff. It was crazy.

Old 04-02-2009, 02:11 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,542,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarqueseGilmore View Post
Like I could go to Giant eagles and ask them if they have jamaican curry seasoning or goya juice and they will look at me like I'm from jupiter.
That could be due to the lack of demand for that item. How many stores in Alaska carry bagels? I went to Charlotte, NC and couldn't find pierogies? Couldn't find them in Wisconsin either, but they offered me lefse, not even close. I've been to Jamaica and when I asked for a really good beer, all they had was Red Stripe. The fact that I couldn't get what I wanted in those areas did not make me think the people were uncultured. Other than the Red Stripe.

Old 04-02-2009, 02:16 PM

29,742 posts, read 34,376,832 times
I'd never heard of pierogies or cookie tables before I moved to Pittsburgh, but I've since been schooled and now I feel like a better person.

Old 04-02-2009, 02:19 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,542,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I'd never heard of pierogies or cookie tables before I moved to Pittsburgh, but I've since been schooled and now I feel like a better person.

Pierogies, cookie tables, and the dollar dance, uncultured events for more than 250 years in the 'burg.

Old 04-02-2009, 04:23 PM

727 posts, read 1,891,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by COPANUT View Post
That could be due to the lack of demand for that item. How many stores in Alaska carry bagels? I went to Charlotte, NC and couldn't find pierogies? Couldn't find them in Wisconsin either, but they offered me lefse, not even close. I've been to Jamaica and when I asked for a really good beer, all they had was Red Stripe. The fact that I couldn't get what I wanted in those areas did not make me think the people were uncultured. Other than the Red Stripe.
No its just the lack of culture IMO....If you don't know about something you should then step out of your box and learn about it. I feel IMHO that some Pittsburghers don't care to learn. Some pittsburghers are stuck in their ways and only care about pittsburghs culture....IMO.

Old 04-02-2009, 06:01 PM

158 posts, read 527,119 times
I like the city. I hate the overcast days. Really, really hate them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh