Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 03:13 AM

94 posts, read 422,701 times

Advertisements

I've been told that Pittsburgh use to have a lot of Mafia activity in the 60's and 70's...

But I've also been told that there is currently a lot of Mafia activity still going on today thats related to Chicago? And included people in the local Pittsburgh gov't and even part of the Rooney family?

Is there any truth to this? Has anybody else ever heard this before?

Mafia history is one of my favorite subjects...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2009, 03:17 AM

2,193 posts, read 5,801,979 times
There's already another(older) thread concerning this topic in Pittsburgh.

Yes, it still exists here. Is it what it used to be? No. As far as the rest of your post, I have no clue, and have not heard that before.

Old 02-21-2009, 04:46 AM

3,131 posts, read 9,372,560 times
I think the major mafia influence around here was out of New Kensington. That town rocked when they were here, it was prosperous, not like today. I know they had dealings in the city of Pgh. so that's why I think they were the biggest faction. They left during the earlier part of the 1970s.

McKeesport is another town where they were said to be. I don't know for sure. There is at least minor organized illegal activities but I don't know that it's mafia and the last I knew of it was the early 1990s.

The rest of what you mentioned I don't know anything about. I think if the Rooneys were involved they wouldn't have been searching around for someone to buy a part of the Steelers.

What do you think about this North Versailles restaurant?

Old 02-22-2009, 09:15 AM

457 posts, read 1,279,968 times
It's all over the city and counties surrounding the city. Everyone knows it.

Old 02-22-2009, 09:29 AM

448 posts, read 1,470,720 times
Sharon Pa use to have a pretty good size mafia ring. Not sure what its like now.

Old 02-23-2009, 09:25 AM

2,193 posts, read 5,801,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaorbust View Post
Sharon Pa use to have a pretty good size mafia ring. Not sure what its like now.
Yep, that's about the general area I live in now. Sharon, Sharpsville and Farrell, PA used to be hotbeds of mafia activity, along with nearby Youngstown and Warren, OH. It's all but gone in this area now though.

Old 02-23-2009, 11:51 AM

91 posts, read 139,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReason View Post
I've been told that Pittsburgh use to have a lot of Mafia activity in the 60's and 70's...

But I've also been told that there is currently a lot of Mafia activity still going on today thats related to Chicago? And included people in the local Pittsburgh gov't and even part of the Rooney family?

Then you'll love it here! We have lots of Italian neighborhoods and people here! Probably one reason why our food is so good!

Old 02-23-2009, 12:08 PM

2,751 posts, read 5,362,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReason View Post

I don't know how much you know but Pgh's mafia history is rich. If you'll forgive my lack of details, as far as exact years and such, I might be able to share a story...

Back in the 30's there were two regimes vying for control over the Pgh mob, the Volpes from New Kensington and the Bassanos from the Hill. Exactly what businesses were most in contention, can't say for sure, but if we assume gambling, prostitution and what was left of the black market liquor business we might be on pretty safe ground.

Anyway, at the height of this, Bassano sets a meet at his Wyile Avenue eatery, (Roma Hotel)? with two of the Volpe Brothers. During which course, antipasti or primo, or wheter it was over plates of veal scallopini or pasta fagiole, I just don't know, but both Volpes were gunned down and killed. This was without the ok from New York and Charlie "Lucky" Luciano, who was in the middle of trying to orgnaize the five families in New York, and whose motivation was to minimize "loose cannon" violence.

Luciano, after hearing of the Volpe hit, summons Bassano to New York and summarily evens the score, in the form of, I'm forgetting the exact number of ice pick wounds, but dozens, and the body thrown out a moving car on a Brooklyn street.

In later years, East Liberty and the North Side were mafia central in Pgh. proper, the Rosa Villa Hotel on the North Side headquarters for "peaceful" capo di tutti capi, John LaRocca.

Old 02-23-2009, 01:33 PM

3,343 posts, read 10,932,937 times
Also the Pittsburgh and Cleveland mobs were always fighting for control of nearby Youngstown.

Old 02-23-2009, 04:35 PM

142 posts, read 406,520 times
Im not sure how strong it is today, but it was def. here in the past. Youngstown had a lot of mob back in its day too.

I think its not just Italian in Pitt, but Irish as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh