Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 02:30 PM

3 posts, read 7,507 times

Advertisements

Hi all!

My husband and I will be relocating to Pittsburgh from NC for work in the fall. To be honest, we are dreading moving someplace so cold (although very excited about living in Pittsburgh in general) and have never lived outside the balmy South where it rarely drops below freezing. Part of our dread is knowing that we are completely unprepared for what to expect and what kinds of things to think about--driving in the snow and ice? Winter gear and clothes? In our mind, Pittsburgh is the Frozen Tundra of the North and we'd hate to be attacked by a rabid caribou or die in an avalanche. All joking aside, any advice on surviving and thriving in the winter would be appreciated--we have no idea what we're getting ourselves into.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2009, 03:08 PM

43 posts, read 98,009 times
All weather tires
Ice scraper/snow brush
Slow down when driving in the snow
Black, 3/4 length wool coat (the downtown Pittsburgh uniform)
Scarf
Caribou repellent

Old 02-26-2009, 03:12 PM

439 posts, read 1,473,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurghBoundSoutherner View Post
Hi all!

My husband and I will be relocating to Pittsburgh from NC for work in the fall. To be honest, we are dreading moving someplace so cold (although very excited about living in Pittsburgh in general) and have never lived outside the balmy South where it rarely drops below freezing. Part of our dread is knowing that we are completely unprepared for what to expect and what kinds of things to think about--driving in the snow and ice? Winter gear and clothes? In our mind, Pittsburgh is the Frozen Tundra of the North and we'd hate to be attacked by a rabid caribou or die in an avalanche. All joking aside, any advice on surviving and thriving in the winter would be appreciated--we have no idea what we're getting ourselves into.
Where in NC? There are parts of NC that get very cold also. It is rare that we get 0 degree days, although we had a few this year.

Old 02-26-2009, 03:22 PM

1,016 posts, read 1,936,998 times
I did it and I am from France. loads of layers and HotHands-HOTHANDS2 (http://www.heatmax.com/HotHands/hothands2.htm - broken link)

Me personally, i will not dare drive in snow, to many accidents and your better off with public transportation or taxi when its bad out.

do a big food shop at trader joe's, mcginnis sisters, wholefoods, coscto and stock up so when its cold outside you will have a foreign legion supply

i went to a few homes and they either had real fireplaces or gas/electic it gives a nice touch to your reception area. and Lets not forget Hot chocolate the french we never use pakets or water we use real chocolate and a double boiler and thick creame and loads of mashmellows and orange peel and some cookies It should pour out like pudding that is how thick it should be.

Old 02-26-2009, 03:48 PM

1,758 posts, read 4,228,484 times
Well...we are not the "frozen tundra of the north." We are no colder than many other northern cities. That would include Minneapolis, Chicago, Clevleland, Buffalo, and so on. Of course, like those cities, and many others, Pittsburgh suffers from that age old latitude and calendar problem...meaning that when one looks at where Pittsburgh lies on a map, and then one looks at the calendar and sees that it is the dead of winter. It all makes perfect sense why there are not palm trees and tropical breezes from the trade winds. It goes with the territory. I guess the fact that the Steelers are always on tv in real time on a national stage is a reason why it becomes "Pittsburgh weather" or "Steeler weather." The fact of the matter is, the weather originated elsewhere and will be elsewhere when it passes through. God does not discriminate in the north.

Old 02-26-2009, 04:07 PM

1,437 posts, read 3,774,703 times
I moved here from Florida and have no problems in the winter. I think people in the south seriously overexaggerate how "bad" winters are. Before I moved here, people in FL would tell me how I'd never leave the house because it's so cold and I'd never be able to even get my car out of the driveway in the snow. Hogwash.

The fear of the unknown is worse than the actual experience. Joking or not, I can already tell you've convinced yourself that Pittsburgh is some brutally frigid climate that will require a whole lifestyle change. But it's really not. I had the same fears when I moved here, especially the fear of driving in snow, since I had NEVER done that before. I had only seen snow once in my life before moving here. Plus, I drive a rear-wheel drive sports car, which is supposed to be "undriveable" in the snow, or so I was told. Again, hogwash! lol I manage just fine. I've gotten to the point where I think snow-driving is kind of fun! If you are comfortable with your car, and know how to steer out of a skid (rain or snow), and just take things much slower and smoother in the snow, you will do fine. Just keep your car maintained, make sure you have fresh anti-freeze, a good battery, and windshield de-icer instead of washer fluid....and of course, have a snow brush/scraper in your car at all times. I don't even think snow tires are really necessary in Pittsburgh because they keep the roads pretty clear for the most part. And Pittsburgh really doesn't get as much snow as you might think. We rarely ever get "the big one." Most snow is just a couple inches one day, a couple inches more another day. Not too bad.

As for wardrobe? This is my third winter here, and I STILL don't have a real "winter" wardrobe. I did buy some hats, gloves and boots, but didn't go all out and buy a $300 parka, long johns, ski mask and all that crap. On the days in single digits or below, I just layer up with a sweater or hoodie underneath my jacket and I am fine. I think layering is much better than wearing one giant coat like so many people do around here...unless you want to look like a penguin when you walk because you can't even bend your arms. There's no mobility!

Again, try not to be scared of winter. It's really not that bad. If a person who grew up in FL can adapt to this place, anyone can! I actually like the winter up here!

Last edited by Mugatu; 02-26-2009 at 04:18 PM..

Old 02-26-2009, 04:21 PM

2,193 posts, read 5,801,316 times
Don't just buy big stuffy winter coats, while they are nice, it's best to layer your clothing in the colder months. I don't even own a huge winter coat, and I've been living her most of my life. I just own a three season coat and then layer with tshirt, maybe a light thermal shirt and a hoodie and I'm fine. Scarves come in handy, mittens keep your hands warmer than gloves, a beanie(winter cap), shoes or boots with a good tread so you don't slip and slide all over the snow and ice and slush when walking around, and I almost always wear two pairs of socks in the winter time, just regular cottons then a thicker pair of wool socks over top.

Also, as someone else mentioned, good all season radial tires. You do not need to buy winter tires, and a good sturdy ice scraper/snow brush. You can pick one up at virtually any store, and they usually start stocking them in October. I also keep jumper cables and a couple old blankets in the trunk of my car just in case I happen to get stranded. That rarely happens, but you never know.

And I like what Chichappens says too, and I also recommend them, pocket hand warmers come in handy. Though you really don't need them unless you know you're going to be outdoors for a long period of time, which I wouldn't recommend for a new comer. And hot chocolate warms you up like nothing else when you come in from the cold.

And lastly, don't stay all cooped up indoors in the Winter months, that just gets depressing, get out and do stuff. We here in the northern half of the country still function just fine with several inches of snow on the ground. I've lived in North Carolina, so I know how folks react down there with even the possibility of just a dusting of snow forecast

Old 02-26-2009, 04:34 PM

29,739 posts, read 34,357,220 times
As far as clothes go, I'd echo what people said above, and also add get functional things, not just fashionable clothes. I work at CMU, and it's amazing to me how some of the students dress for winter. An Ugg-style boot with a 3-inch heel isn't going to keep you from slipping on an icy sidewalk, and a short (waist-length) puffy coat isn't going to keep you warm when the wind is whipping around. Get shoes or boots with traction and a decent longer coat (doesn't have to be arctic-level) Get a scarf that can either be tied jauntily around your neck or wrapped around your head to keep your face and ears warm.

Old 02-26-2009, 06:53 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
I think most of the caribou have had their rabies shots, lol. Seriously, I agree with the above. IMO, Pittsburgh has a milder winter than many places in the NE. There is usually more rain than snow, except perhaps in January. Check out www.accuweather.com

Old 02-26-2009, 07:55 PM

3 posts, read 7,724 times
Get some cross country skiis. When it snows, head out to Forbes State Park and take some trails. You'll get so that you can't wait for snow!
For when you are in the city, stock up on some hand warmers if you are going to be outside for any length of time and wear warm boots. Instead of driving, take the bus or walk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh