Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 01:13 PM

1 posts, read 2,565 times

Advertisements

I went to USCHS and now live in North Allegheny where my kids attend school. Neither district has a rape "problem" and I'd send my kids to either school without worry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2009, 12:41 PM

5 posts, read 25,244 times
I'm not too worried about spoiled brat kids or any other kinds of snobbery. I'm coming from Boston, our snobs make yours look like they could have been regulars on Hee Haw. I know you can't be perfectly safe from things like drugs and crime, but it seems so much easier here in Boston, the "good suburbs" are so well defined and it's nearly impossible for less affluent people to afford to live there so it's pretty much self-policing in that regard. And, while I'm looking at real estate in places like Upper St. Clair, I see one street with houses $500,000 up, and the very next street has houses even under $200,000. Like, out your back door and then you're into the low rent district.

Old 03-05-2009, 01:39 PM

3,388 posts, read 3,891,703 times
Rape is not a class crime. As a therapist to adolescent rape victims and a former "poor kid" at an affluent school myself, I suggest re-thinking the assumption that the lower income kids are the (only) ones committing crimes.

In my experience, the kid 2 blocks over in the $200K house is probably too busy with his after-school job and extracurricular activities to boost his chances for a college scholarship to be driving around aimlessly in daddy's lexus with a bag of coke and an inflated sense of entitlement, like the kid in the $500K house next door.

I'm sorry if this is a bit off-topic (moderator can censor if I've crossed the line) - it just upsets me when parental socioeconomic status is equated with "good kids" or "good parenting" for that matter.

Old 03-05-2009, 10:11 PM

439 posts, read 1,467,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moving 2 Pittsburgh View Post
I'm not too worried about spoiled brat kids or any other kinds of snobbery. I'm coming from Boston, our snobs make yours look like they could have been regulars on Hee Haw. I know you can't be perfectly safe from things like drugs and crime, but it seems so much easier here in Boston, the "good suburbs" are so well defined and it's nearly impossible for less affluent people to afford to live there so it's pretty much self-policing in that regard. And, while I'm looking at real estate in places like Upper St. Clair, I see one street with houses $500,000 up, and the very next street has houses even under $200,000. Like, out your back door and then you're into the low rent district.
If you have an attitude like that please stay in Boston.

I live in your so called 'Low Rent' district in Upper Saint Clair.

If your kids go to USC schools I will make sure to tell the low class thugs in the 200k houses to beat them up......

Those $200k houses would probably be $400k houses in Boston.

A$$hole.......

Old 03-05-2009, 10:49 PM

1,139 posts, read 2,485,619 times
hey on those $200k houses in USC...some people are paying close to $8k a year in property taxes!

Old 03-06-2009, 04:08 PM

12,528 posts, read 17,443,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifepgh2op View Post
hey on those $200k houses in USC...some people are paying close to $8k a year in property taxes!

Nah, more like 6K, a bargain at twice the price.

Old 08-17-2009, 11:00 PM

2 posts, read 4,373 times
I realize that this thread was started a few months ago, but I would like to clear up a few misconceptions.

The rape case was not taken lightly at all by the school district or administrators. After the first report of an incident, the administration held assemblies for the high school students to request that they not discuss the matter out of respect for the alleged victims and to protect the legal process. The suspect was prosecuted (so yes, action has indeed been taken).

To Rubybelle and others who have made remarks about Upper St. Clair students being brats and spoiled, I must say that I thoroughly disagree. Yes, some students will bring their Coach bags to school, but nobody flaunts their wealth or makes others feel insecure. I'm sure that there is drinking and drugs, simply because teenagers do those kinds of things, but I have been in the school district my entire life and never once felt pressure to imbibe (or even come in close contact with those who do, for that matter). Again, most families in the district are not "filthy rich"- they simply have financial security, which is much more important in the long run.

In terms of the education quality, I must say that I feel it is unsurpassed. The district has been ranked the #1 school in Pennsylvania by the Pittsburgh Business Times for 4 consecutive years, and the IB and AP programs offer students many challenges. The only academic difficulty I encountered was scheduling these advanced courses; for instance, the IB Diploma program and various musical offerings tend to conflict, as do many AP science courses and the same music classes. The counseling department has always worked directly with students to find an acceptable solution to these problems- some years class times are even added to meet the needs of students! There are some teachers who probably have their positions because they attended the school, but there are others who are absolutely amazing and teach their classes at a college level.

In terms of the IB program, I would most definitely recommend it. The Middle Years Program requires participation in grades 7-10 and concludes with a student-designed project. Especially in the high school, this program encourages discussion and interaction between students. After the middle years program, I chose to complete two IB Certificates (I take the two IB classes and will take the IB tests for them, but I do not receive the full diploma) to facilitate my scheduling and allow me to take certain AP courses. The IB Diploma is very centered on creativity and individual interpretation. Papers in the IB English program that are being counted toward the certificate cannot include secondary sources; the paper is supposed to be the reactions and insights of the individual student. The program is excellent preparation for college-level thinking.

Old 08-18-2009, 07:39 AM

3,164 posts, read 6,671,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lekka View Post
Yes, some students will bring their Coach bags to school, but nobody flaunts their wealth or makes others feel insecure.

That's a joke if I ever heard one, I deal with these people every day.

Old 08-18-2009, 08:24 AM

6,327 posts, read 9,099,328 times
I just think it's amazing that people actually take the time to go through pages of old threads then they decide to resurrect them.

Old 09-02-2009, 08:26 PM

2 posts, read 4,373 times
I also see these people every day. No matter where you go, someone will be stuck up, but it is very easy to find down to earth people in USC. The population of nasty teenagers is no higher here than elsewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh