Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 02:29 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,900,512 times

Advertisements

Its a catch 22 really

While Pittsburgh needs to grow in population, some people (myself included) say that it also should become more transient amongst its residents....

One thing I've always said was true, is it would be better for Pittsburgh if its native residents had more exposure to nationally...Then maybe Pittsburgh wouldn't take a beating so much by its own people, because a person would have better perspective when placing the burgh under a microscope.

But when you compare some of the most Transient cities in the country around the burgh size...you can see population would almost never get above a certain point.

Miami
Atlanta
Denver
Minneapolis
Seattle

These cities will never have over 500-600k in population because in large part they are revolving doors, but that also what makes them flourish...they attract people from all over at the same time they have large amount of natives that move elsewhere either for college or career moves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2010, 02:36 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,214,257 times
I like your post.

No comments...other than its interesting you put Minneapolis on the list. Its much like Pittsburgh in that no one goes there except people who grew up in that region of the country.

I'm from Michigan, and when I lived in Minneapolis for a few years, people were amazed I chose their city to live. It was quite accidental as well, almost all Michiganders go south (or Chicago), never lateral and colder. Additionally I never met anyone in Minneapolis who wasn't from either MN, WI, IA, SD, ND or NE. And even when I met those from say IA or NE, it seemed surprising, yet understandable.

But to the 'transient' point...hmm..would be interesting. It seems that transiency comes with popularity...and usually has a more negative meaning...as there is a reason that people go back 'out' again...usually most often due to the fact those places increase in prices so much, that people decide it's just easier to start a family elsewhere. (That seems to be one of the bigger reasons people leave good cities. EIther that or they are in a half-ass city like Phoenix and they realize it after they've lived there for a year, that it isn't worth staying in).

I think cities like Denver and Seattle are cities where people are moving to and staying. Atlanta seems to be that way as well. Miami seems to have a good track record of people migrating back out again, I think mostly due to unaffordabality and lack of decent jobs.

Old 06-29-2010, 04:54 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,031,857 times
Of course we had plenty of people move out over the last few decades. I think if Pittsburgh does indeed return to a stable, low-growth population path, it isn't a bad bet that a good number of our in-migrants will be people who went elsewhere for a while and are now returning. And I agree those people may have a bit more perspective on average than those who never left.

Old 06-29-2010, 05:10 AM

296 posts, read 561,252 times
Having new people from different areas come to town is undoubtedly a good thing. However, what sets Pittsburgh apart is a natural charm that comes from a large, established population. Many of those people may be Yinzers but there is a different feel in Pittsburgh than other places where all the residents are from somewhere else.

Old 06-29-2010, 06:21 AM

1,437 posts, read 3,777,857 times
Good post. This is exactly what Pittsburgh needs. Like you said, the natives here need more exposure to people from other areas to get a more realistic perspective on things. One of the most surprising things to me after moving here was how sheltered most Pittsburghers are. They often live in their little Pittsburgh bubble, and don't see the big picture. And I've commented before on the negativity I've experienced here. They seem to think the grass is greener everywhere else, yet they've never been anywhere to compare it to. It seems like the other transplants I've run into are the ones that appreciate the area the most and get the most out of it. More of that positive energy would be a huge plus.

Old 06-29-2010, 07:51 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,900,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I like your post.

No comments...other than its interesting you put Minneapolis on the list. Its much like Pittsburgh in that no one goes there except people who grew up in that region of the country.

I'm from Michigan, and when I lived in Minneapolis for a few years, people were amazed I chose their city to live. It was quite accidental as well, almost all Michiganders go south (or Chicago), never lateral and colder. Additionally I never met anyone in Minneapolis who wasn't from either MN, WI, IA, SD, ND or NE. And even when I met those from say IA or NE, it seemed surprising, yet understandable.

But to the 'transient' point...hmm..would be interesting. It seems that transiency comes with popularity...and usually has a more negative meaning...as there is a reason that people go back 'out' again...usually most often due to the fact those places increase in prices so much, that people decide it's just easier to start a family elsewhere. (That seems to be one of the bigger reasons people leave good cities. EIther that or they are in a half-ass city like Phoenix and they realize it after they've lived there for a year, that it isn't worth staying in).

I think cities like Denver and Seattle are cities where people are moving to and staying. Atlanta seems to be that way as well. Miami seems to have a good track record of people migrating back out again, I think mostly due to unaffordabality and lack of decent jobs.
Yes while these cities listed have transplants moving and staying put...they still have a relevant amount of outflow its not the transplants that are leaving, it has to be the natives that create the outflow...

Lets look at your map here Tiger Beer, which i thought was pretty interesting....

Pittsburgh
Map: Where Americans Are Moving - Forbes.com

Miami

Denver

Atlanta

Minneapolis

Seattle

Old 06-29-2010, 08:42 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,830,067 times
Pennsylvanian, in general, don't travel enough which leads them to believe things are better elsewhere (and also, some other guy is making out while they're getting screwed). As I see it, there are three types of transients. students, which pittsburgh has. people who move for work, and are then moved again. and people looking to have some fun in a bigger city, that end up moving home to raise a family (and maybe never intended to to begin with). Pittsburgh could use a larger share of the latter, IMO, and could reasonably come from the eastern midwest, upstate NY, and across Pennsylvania. for people further afield, I'd bet a larger percentage would be people who go to school there, and stay after college for a while.

Old 06-29-2010, 09:57 AM

1,776 posts, read 2,699,251 times
I've found that transient people, while usually having a better outlook on the city, tend to not put down roots here as much. I'd say about half of my good friends are "transient", the other half are Pittsburghers born and raised. I think a good balance is the best bet. Transient people with a positive outlook bring fresh ideas and help to inspire, Pittsburghers tend to want to get their hands dirty and dig in for the long haul to make their city better. When you have a nice balance, it all works together and both feed off of each other. I think that's what's actually happening here right now and one reason we've accomplished so much.

I wouldn't want Pittsburgh to become weighted mostly towards transient because I'd be afraid that the fierce attachment to this city would be lost.

Old 06-29-2010, 11:02 AM

15,641 posts, read 26,273,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
One thing I've always said was true, is it would be better for Pittsburgh if its native residents had more exposure to nationally...Then maybe Pittsburgh wouldn't take a beating so much by its own people, because a person would have better perspective when placing the burgh under a microscope.
You are very right. California is a very transient state, and I've met mainly people who aren't from here, and more than a few Native Californians who've been all over California, but the few Native Bay Areans I've met are very much like the Pittsburghers people talk about here.

One friend of mine was born in Redwood City and when she got married she made the really big move to Fremont. That's 20 miles away across the Hayward Bridge. And she hated Fremont -- it was all too new and too strange. When I told her about going up to Napa for the weekend wine tasting she couldn't understand why anyone would want to do that.

She would go home weekends to her parent's house.

And when her husband had to move to LA for work? She nearly divorced him. In the end she went, but I know she's miserable, because it's not Redwood City. I always felt she was stuck.... in time and place.

I'm beginning to think that people that don't get out of their world and comfort zone are stuck, too. It's not a regional thing, it's a person thing...

Last edited by Tallysmom; 06-29-2010 at 11:02 AM.. Reason: missed a don't

Old 06-29-2010, 11:07 AM

29,748 posts, read 34,415,700 times
Quote:
It's not a regional thing, it's a person thing...
True, people talk about Pittsburghers being really provincial and not getting out much, but like you said, there are people like that in every city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh