Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 06:47 PM

7 posts, read 16,831 times

Advertisements

I am working at UPMC in Oakland. I am trying to find a neighborhood similiar to Wicker Park. Have done a lot of reading about the Strip District. Did you check that out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2009, 06:54 PM

38,707 posts, read 102,751,145 times
I ask again, which aspects of Wicker Park are you looking to replicate? The housing stock, the bar scene, the music scene, the boutiques/galleries, the dining scene, etc.? If you can't "have it all" in one neighborhood in Pittsburgh, which aspects are most important to you? Depending on your answers, it may be that Oakland itself will work fine.

The Strip District might work for you too but its similarities to Wicker Park are pretty limited. Chicago doesn't really have an equivalent to the Strip. Also, I don't know how easy it is to get from the Strip to UPMC by public transport -- but I promise it will be a PITA by bike since you'll basically have to ride it either around a huge ridge, or up one side and back down the other. Again, are you planning to bring a car?

Old 03-17-2009, 07:20 PM

7 posts, read 16,831 times
Sorry, thanks for the response. I guess I am looking to find an edgy neighborhood, that is clean and safe. It would be nice to have some nice bars in the area, but I am not in college so I dont need a million options. What I like about Wicker Park is that it used to be all the artists and musicians and has a good vibe. Good food close by would be nice.

Do you have any recommendations about other neighborhoods?

I will have a car, but dont mind running or biking up a hill, I like the challenge!

Old 03-17-2009, 07:36 PM

Let me tell you, biking and walking in Pittsburgh can be tough if you're not used to it. You should get acclimated to it within a couple weeks if you're in decent shape, but those first couple of weeks can be tough.

Edgy clean and (relatively) safe... the Strip seems to fit the bill. It gets a little less safe at the very eastern edge of it though. Also, parking is pretty tight there -- be sure to inquire if your place has parking.

Oakland also sounds about right, though stay south of Centre Avenue. Also, it was a rule of thumb back when I lived there to live north of Boulevard of the Allies, though these days that may be more out of concern for boredom than safety. Again, parking can be tight.

Finally, you might want to consider the area between Shadyside, East Liberty and Bloomfield all meet. East Liberty has historically been a shaky neighborhood -- this would be the equivalent of living along the Wicker Park/Humboldt Park border -- but you'll be fine if you know the limits of where to go and where not to go. Parking in this area ranges from somewhat easy to very difficult. I never found parking in East Liberty to be terribly difficult as long as you were at least a block or two off of Penn Circle. This would also give you access to an emerging funky/artsy scene along the Penn Avenue corridor running west from Penn Circle through the neighborhoods of East Liberty, Friendship, Garfield and Bloomfield. You've got good restaurants in Shadyside, a hipster scene along Penn, good bars dotting the area, an interesting Italian vibe in Bloomfield... All in all, I think living near that corridor would be your best pick, though be cautious about getting too deep into East Liberty or Garfield. The closer you are to Penn Avenue, the better, and the streets on the south side of it is better than the north side.

ETA: Let me sum up the above paragraph by saying look in or near the Friendship neighborhood. That's the (very small) neighborhood right in the middle of all the action described above -- it borders and is surrounded by all the areas mentioned above -- Shadyside, East Liberty, Bloomfield, and the Penn "artsy" corridor. Given what you're after, Friendship should by far be your first priority. Good luck.

Last edited by Drover; 03-17-2009 at 07:46 PM..

Old 03-17-2009, 09:32 PM

91 posts, read 137,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitriboy2009 View Post
Sorry, thanks for the response. I guess I am looking to find an edgy neighborhood, that is clean and safe. It would be nice to have some nice bars in the area, but I am not in college so I dont need a million options. What I like about Wicker Park is that it used to be all the artists and musicians and has a good vibe. Good food close by would be nice.

Do you have any recommendations about other neighborhoods?

I will have a car, but dont mind running or biking up a hill, I like the challenge!
Near Carson street, even better closer to South Side Works or near Station Square. Shadyside is "edgy", okay not really, it's absolutely adorable. But it would fit your bill. Course, I've never been to Wicker Park......

Old 03-17-2009, 10:49 PM

Well I have (like, a few hours ago), and Station Square is positively contrived by comparison. Carson Street is anything but contrived, but it's also pretty raucous. Some parts of Wicker Park as well, but overall Wicker Park has a more grown-up vibe. To the OP: you know the party scene that goes on at the Six Corners (North/Damen/Milwaukee)? Imagine that for an entire mile, only without the indie-rock scene that Sub and Double Door provide. That's the Carson Street strip. Don't get me wrong, I like Carson Street. But I wouldn't want to live there.

Old 03-17-2009, 11:01 PM

1,139 posts, read 2,485,944 times
Well, the South Side is more than just Carson Street. I know that's where the "amenities" are but it's not a 24/7 out-of-control Mardi Gras or anything.

Ruby suggested the South Side Works...which are close enough to the action but nicer, probably more "grown up" and newer.

SouthSide Works

Old 03-17-2009, 11:03 PM

South Side Works is also nothing like Wicker Park.

Old 03-17-2009, 11:09 PM

524 posts, read 1,031,391 times
How about Lawrenceville?

Old 03-17-2009, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onwardandupward View Post
How about Lawrenceville?
Been too long since I've been in Lawrenceville except to go to the Church Brew by which time you might as well be in Bloomfield, so I can't give a fair comparison. I think it's been 10 years since I've been down Butler Street.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh