Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 11:23 AM

1,519 posts, read 2,673,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
And where you see time wasted, maybe that's where some quality talking and relating is going on.
I read that and thought of my mom who loved to go grocery shopping because it was time that she got to spend "alone" away from the five of us kids and the dogs and the house. To this day she lets people with less stuff get in line ahead of her out of habit. She was used to trying to prolong her time away.

People view things differently. What you see as a hassle, someone else might not. Judge not lest you be judged. (And I'm not at all religious...)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2009, 11:28 AM

1,014 posts, read 3,584,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrpriester View Post
It wasn't a question, it was a statement.

I've lived in Pittsburgh now for 2 and a half years, and I'm just convincing myself that not only in Pittsburgh, but probably any city it's size or larger, people just don't value their time off. From the traffic I see at a complete standstill Monday through Sunday, to the 2 hour waits for dinner at all the popular "have to be" areas (Robinson, Waterfront, etc) I just see so much time wasted.

Probably the greatest blessing in my life has been marrying my wife, because she shares my common sense and practicality. If we have a Saturday night together, we go somewhere where we know the rest of the city won't be. We help each other with chores during the week and go out and shop during off times (or at least times we would think would be off times). If we go out we utilize things like call ahead seating and enjoy watching people get bent out of shape because they weren't intelligent enough to do the same.

Our life together is precious to us, and it's hard existing in a world where quite a few others don't feel the same.
Good point. My husband and I do the same thing. No matter how good the food is we will not wait in a restaurant lobby for an hour before we get seated. Sometimes if there is room at the bar we will enjoy a beer or two and not be so stressed out.

Old 03-04-2009, 03:35 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,700,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
As I read your post, Dana Carvey as the Church Lady came into my head with the line "My, isn't that special?"
Cute. Not very original, but cute

Quote:
I get what you're getting at. But I don't think you're looking at the reality of a lot of people's lives today. We're a long way from when Poppa went to the office at 8 and was home on the dot at 5:30 and Momma stayed home. Both people work and workers are working longer hours at jobs that are demanding more than 40 hours. Add the commute, and people are putting in 10-11 hour days.
Maybe you don't then. I'm the epitome of what you describe. My hours are either 9:45-6:45, 11-8, or 12:30-9, definitely not traditional hours. But, even though I live on South Braddock, I don't get on Parkway East there and sit in the ridiculous line traffic every day, I drive to Squirrel Hill to.......utillize my time. When we are lucky enough to have a Friday or Saturday off, we either go to dinner early to avoid the crowds or go somewher where we know there aren't going to be the crowds. Unlike others who chose to sit and or stand in a mile long line. It's making the most of your free time and being smart about navigating and playing in a big city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh