Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 09:38 AM

3,131 posts, read 9,371,085 times

Advertisements

Are they still made with platinum? You have to watch out for inspection stations that steal them to cash in. When you go back next year they'll tell you someone must have stolen yours and charge you for a new one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2009, 09:57 AM

3,977 posts, read 3,659,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterRabbit View Post
Are they still made with platinum? You have to watch out for inspection stations that steal them to cash in. When you go back next year they'll tell you someone must have stolen yours and charge you for a new one.

Geesh! I will be sure to pass that info along. Can't trust anyone now a days!

Old 03-04-2009, 01:20 PM

645 posts, read 1,538,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aveojohn View Post
You can get after market cc's at a very reasonable price.
True, and you just have to make sure it still has its "honeycomb matrix" intact, and/or not busted up causing a constriction and not doing its job. Also have to make sure in some cases it's not a generic, weld it on solution to pass. Some applications *may* need fittings intact to be considered OK for the application to pass the visual inspection. Some shops are real sticklers, others will say OK to any CC in place, and then do the tailpipe test.

Quote:
Yep, still contain precious metals, and worth $$$. I have read how park and ride folks will come back at the end of the day to find their CC's cut off, even was told a story from a gal who said her exhaust system fell off on the New Ken bridge, and before she could turn around to retrieve it, it was GONE! Crazy!

MaryBeth2. I would call around to potential shops prior to moving, and talk to the owner about your situation. Be frank about the missing CC, and ask about their policy concerning what he/she will or will not accept to pass the visual inspection. A new factory spec CC for a 15 y/o car will be EXTREMELY expensive, so if you can go the used generic route, that will save you a lot. Last piece of advice. If you can use a small inspection station who will also do the repair prior to inspection, this may be the best route. The big chains will usually not touch any custom repair, where the small ones see this kind of stuff nearly daily.

Good luck!

Old 03-04-2009, 01:55 PM

Thanks Jay. I think my son has one cat, and I dont think my husband has either. We're talking an 85 ElCamino and a 94 F150. So that is the best idea, to call ahead. This could be expensive!

Old 03-04-2009, 06:19 PM

3,131 posts, read 9,371,085 times
If a car is driven under 5,000 miles a year it's exempt from the emissions test. A garage might still charge you for it anyhow as part of their regular state inspection fee.

Old 03-04-2009, 06:36 PM

645 posts, read 1,538,346 times
Quote:
If a car is driven under 5,000 miles a year it's exempt from the emissions test. A garage might still charge you for it anyhow as part of their regular state inspection fee.
That is true after the initial registration and emission test in counties that require it is done. Less than 5k miles does exempt you from the test, but you still have to pay a for an exemption sticker... The fun never ends.

Also, if by chance the vehicle fails the test with all required emission gear in place, the state will cap the amount you have to spend ($150) to try to get it within compliance by a waiver.

Old 03-04-2009, 08:35 PM

Both vehicals are work vehicals though.

I appreciate you guys. My hub read the sites up there, but he didnt have a response. This could be ugly.

Old 03-04-2009, 09:43 PM

58 posts, read 247,350 times
For consideration:
http://www.rettewsnotarysvc.com/factsheet~antique.pdf

One last note, if you lived in Butler County, you would be exempt from annual emissions inspection.

Old 03-05-2009, 05:44 AM

Location, location, location! The job in consideration is in Ambridge. I didnt even think about the county having different rules. Maybe I need to see the closest county to Ambride without those laws..

Good point nynjmapa! I'll check out that site too. Thank you!

Old 03-05-2009, 10:30 AM

762 posts, read 1,099,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_F View Post
That is true after the initial registration and emission test in counties that require it is done. Less than 5k miles does exempt you from the test, but you still have to pay a for an exemption sticker... The fun never ends.

Also, if by chance the vehicle fails the test with all required emission gear in place, the state will cap the amount you have to spend ($150) to try to get it within compliance by a waiver.
Make absolutely sure you find a certified $150 waiver shop. Make sure the certified technician doing the waiver isn't at a car auction or on vacation that day! Also, I suggest you get the car fixed before you get to PA; the PA mechanic will not be happy if the old catalytic converter is not on the car (they are worth a lot of money).

Also, do not radiate a concern about being taken or costs; you'll be sorry. Finding an honest guy like Jay_F is not going to be easy, but they are out there. Handsomely tipping an honest car mechanic is a must in this area!

On a positive note; last year I got my car inspected from an honest guy in eastern Allegheny County.

I’ve only just scratched the surface with the headaches you may encounter; good luck, & don’t forget to handsomely tip the honest mechanic.

Last edited by DSOs; 03-05-2009 at 10:32 AM.. Reason: added a word
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh