Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 04:52 PM

12,529 posts, read 17,535,105 times

Advertisements

Whatever the MINIMUM building standards are in a given twp/boro, that's what Ryan and Maronda build.

Those homes are crap, trick them out all you what, but you're just polishing a turd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2009, 04:33 PM

17 posts, read 124,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by COPANUT View Post
Whatever the MINIMUM building standards are in a given twp/boro, that's what Ryan and Maronda build.

Those homes are crap, trick them out all you what, but you're just polishing a turd.

Polishing a "turd" is much better than paying rent!

Old 05-04-2009, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shie0023 View Post
Polishing a "turd" is much better than paying rent!
You can find better quality existing homes in the market. Just my opinion, I prefer hardwood floors, plaster walls, ceramic baths. To each his own.

As to paying rent vs owning, it all depends. Homes appreciate very slowly in this area, if you keep track of expenses and realize how much your loan costs, it might make more sense to rent.

Old 05-04-2009, 01:14 PM

2,488 posts, read 2,931,625 times
Quote:
You can find better quality existing homes in the market. Just my opinion, I prefer hardwood floors, plaster walls, ceramic baths. To each his own.

As to paying rent vs owning, it all depends. Homes appreciate very slowly in this area, if you keep track of expenses and realize how much your loan costs, it might make more sense to rent.
I agree with you. I also hate when people put down renters as we got it sooooo bad. One thing, I live right in the business district of Squirrel Hill that I could never do owning, and the other is I can pick up and move easily when I need too. With the amount of people my company is laying off I could get a job in N.Y. and have at worst look for somebody to sublet too. Some of us are still young, and may not be settled down. My brother bought a house at 25, I pittied the fool.

Old 05-04-2009, 03:33 PM

21 posts, read 122,104 times
Quote:

I think there are very few situations where renting is ideal. Sure, if you are a transient kind of person who isn't going to stay long you shouldn't buy a home... but there are so many other factors to consider besides just appreciation. There are certainly tax benefits, there is equity that you earn over time, etc...

You can find more affordable homes in the existing market, but again I'm not sure you can say that older = quality. There are SO many terrible builders that went out of business in the 60's, 70's, and 80's - a lot of them in places like USC even where I hear people cursing about their old homes and maintenance issues.

Good discussion points though - things to think about.

Old 05-04-2009, 03:44 PM

I won't argue that old doesn't always equal quality. At one time Ryan made a good home, back in the 60's. And there is definitely a "pride of ownership" factor that kicks in when you buy a house.

But I wish the hell I'd never left my condo!

Old 11-15-2012, 08:37 PM

4 posts, read 8,571 times
Hello I am very interested in The Fox Chappel or The Sewickley from Ryan homes. I toured the Fox Chappel model this past Monday at the Cobblestone subdivision and I absolutely loved the model I am a first time home buyer and right now I just looking. Most likely I will choose The Highlands location since it is close to my family. Can anyone offer any tips on dealing with the sales rep. I did not particulary like the rep at The Highlands but I am not sure if you can request a different rep. I am also curious to know about negotiating on any upgrades that I can and if I should have a real estate agent working with me? I am also uncertain about financing thru NVR I have not heard many good things about them can anyone offer any sugestions? Thru research I also learned that The Highlands address qualifies for a USDA home loan has anyone else financed using an USDA loan?

Old 11-15-2012, 10:01 PM

116 posts, read 216,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelleyj72 View Post
Hello I am very interested in The Fox Chappel or The Sewickley from Ryan homes. I toured the Fox Chappel model this past Monday at the Cobblestone subdivision and I absolutely loved the model I am a first time home buyer and right now I just looking. Most likely I will choose The Highlands location since it is close to my family. Can anyone offer any tips on dealing with the sales rep. I did not particulary like the rep at The Highlands but I am not sure if you can request a different rep. I am also curious to know about negotiating on any upgrades that I can and if I should have a real estate agent working with me? I am also uncertain about financing thru NVR I have not heard many good things about them can anyone offer any sugestions? Thru research I also learned that The Highlands address qualifies for a USDA home loan has anyone else financed using an USDA loan?
The funny thing is you can't find a Ryan home in either Fox Chapel or Sewickley.

Old 11-17-2012, 07:30 AM

2,538 posts, read 4,709,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbpriv View Post
The funny thing is you can't find a Ryan home in either Fox Chapel or Sewickley.
Well, there is an existing Ryan plan just outside Sewickley, in Leet township. It's actually a nice plan. You will see a home there for sale every once and a while. Sewickley doesn't have the room for any track builder anymore, though someone is building a bunch of new condos right along Beaver road.

To the other who call these homes turds. How many homes have you worked on? How about those 1920 or 30s gems, with newspaper as insulation, asbestos around the pipes and in the attic, lead lined plumbing, knob and tube wiring. I'd be careful as to what homes you call a turd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh