Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 07:34 PM

60 posts, read 172,265 times

Advertisements

Just out of curiousity, and I know it shows my own ignorance, why do some Protestants have such anti-Catholic feelings.

Is it because of all that nonsense during the Reformation? Is that still an issue? As a young person, I can't see future generations caring about denominations of Christianity--if there are any Christians left at all.

BTW- I went to Catholic school in Pittsburgh with Jews, Presbyterians,Methodists, Baptists and Muslims I don't think its an issue at all anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2009, 08:07 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,251,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariok689 View Post
Just out of curiousity, and I know it shows my own ignorance, why do some Protestants have such anti-Catholic feelings.

Is it because of all that nonsense during the Reformation? Is that still an issue? As a young person, I can't see future generations caring about denominations of Christianity--if there are any Christians left at all.

BTW- I went to Catholic school in Pittsburgh with Jews, Presbyterians,Methodists, Baptists and Muslims I don't think its an issue at all anymore.
When ever any religion holds itself up as the true one religion you're going to have trouble. Don't kid yourself about this ending -- look at Northern Ireland. There's still stuff going on today. A hardline IRA faction wants to start the hostilities again.

Although I am jaded enough to honestly think that if Karl Marx is right and religion is the opiate of the masses -- there are a lot of "opiate pushers" that will push it because to them it means money. An arms dealer wants to see trouble because he can sell guns. A Swiss bank might want to see trouble because people in troubled countries will shelter money with him... and so on. Money really does make the world go round...

Old 03-08-2009, 09:34 PM

28 posts, read 82,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ainulinale View Post
Catholics are Christians.

It seems for as much as you complain about the ignorant, you're not in a much better position yourself.
Ok yeah that was stupid of me to say I guess I meant non-denominational Christians? I know Catholics are Christians, but I'm basically talking about the people that go to mass, and the people that worship at home and don't believe in lavish spendings on architecture, staff and decorations.

I made a stupid technical error I know, but I think you know what I'm talking about? The former tend to do it as a family tradition, a routine. The latter tends to be much more proselytizing.

Old 03-08-2009, 09:40 PM

3,131 posts, read 9,373,781 times
Quote:

Growing up and hearing all the time that I'm going to go to hell no matter what kind of life I live because I wasn't Catholic. I saw it as a brain-washed religion and want no parts of it nor the humorous voodoo rituals. The religion makes you appear as sub-standard crazy people.

Old 03-08-2009, 10:02 PM

2,245 posts, read 7,191,123 times
Quote:

There are certain Protestant circles that hate Catholicism (usually they are Evangelical and hold to such positions as Pre-Millenialism and the literal translation of Revelation). Often times these people border on Fundamentalism (which is a technical term within Christian scholarship meaning those who force literal interpretations, reject scholarship, reject the genres of the Bible, etc.).
This phenomenon of hating Catholicism has nothing to do with the Reformation, as one of Luther's own complaints against the Catholic Church was that they, at the time, rejected the Eastern Orthodox Christians as being under the grace of God.
These Evangelicals (certainly not all) often try to fit current events into their interpretation of the Book of Revelation. This book describes the Beast of the Pit; something many unfortunately consider to be the Catholic Church. The do this because they think that because the Roman Catholics give Mary "hyperdulea" (highest grace) that they worship her instead of God, and are therefore not Christians, but the great imposters who place church authority "over" that of Biblical inerrancy and infallibility. Humorously, they don't seem to realize that the Catholic term for what Jesus receives form believers is not "hyperdulea" but "latria" or worship.
They also hate the prayers for the saints, the rituals (ironically their churches often don't resemble the first century ones in any way), holy tradition, and the more universalist approach the Catholic church has recently endorsed.
This is part of their problems, as they have many.

BTW, there are 2 billion Christians in the world of which 50 million and from China and are growing there like weeds.

Old 03-09-2009, 10:20 AM

60 posts, read 172,265 times
so it is practice and beliefs over history. Thanks for clearing that up. Seems those Brothers at Central Catholic were remiss in that regard!

Old 03-09-2009, 10:28 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
I think, as Tallysmom said, it's also the "one true faith" theology. In the past, Catholics weren't allowed to enter the church of another religion (my grandfather's Catholic brothers and sisters wouldn't go to his funeral b/c it was in a Lutheran church); if a Catholic and non-Catholic married, the non-Catholic had to agree to raise the kids Catholic, etc. These things have relaxed quite a bit in recent years, I realize.

Old 03-09-2009, 10:35 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,542,794 times
Growing up in a town that had a real mix of Catholics and Protestants I never realized the animosity some had towards Catholics until I got to college. My room mate met a great girl, but when he took her home to meet the folks she had to tell his Dad she wasn't Catholic, he hated them. Go figure.

Old 03-09-2009, 11:28 AM

15,638 posts, read 26,251,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ainulinale View Post
There are certain Protestant circles that hate Catholicism (usually they are Evangelical and hold to such positions as Pre-Millenialism and the literal translation of Revelation). Often times these people border on Fundamentalism (which is a technical term within Christian scholarship meaning those who force literal interpretations, reject scholarship, reject the genres of the Bible, etc.).
This phenomenon of hating Catholicism has nothing to do with the Reformation, as one of Luther's own complaints against the Catholic Church was that they, at the time, rejected the Eastern Orthodox Christians as being under the grace of God.
These Evangelicals (certainly not all) often try to fit current events into their interpretation of the Book of Revelation. This book describes the Beast of the Pit; something many unfortunately consider to be the Catholic Church. The do this because they think that because the Roman Catholics give Mary "hyperdulea" (highest grace) that they worship her instead of God, and are therefore not Christians, but the great imposters who place church authority "over" that of Biblical inerrancy and infallibility. Humorously, they don't seem to realize that the Catholic term for what Jesus receives form believers is not "hyperdulea" but "latria" or worship.
They also hate the prayers for the saints, the rituals (ironically their churches often don't resemble the first century ones in any way), holy tradition, and the more universalist approach the Catholic church has recently endorsed.
This is part of their problems, as they have many.

BTW, there are 2 billion Christians in the world of which 50 million and from China and are growing there like weeds.
And this is why I like forums. Great post -- intelligently written!

Old 03-09-2009, 01:05 PM

2,245 posts, read 7,191,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
And this is why I like forums. Great post -- intelligently written!
Thanks. Of course there are a bunch of spelling errors I didn't notice at first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh