Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 11:22 AM

15,630 posts, read 26,105,565 times

Advertisements

Hey -- fans of the 1950's ranch style home would LOVE that kitchen.... I would love that kitchen.....

with boomerang Formica!

My nephew will be getting married at the Heinz History Center in October... I can't wait.

And that hairpin road you were one from Mt Washington to Station Square -- that was my favorite road name EVER!! That was the P. J. McArdle Roadway!

That and Conway Wallrose Road...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2009, 11:49 AM

3,164 posts, read 6,668,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugatu View Post
Excellent post! I've been up here over 2 years now, and all the negativity from the locals gets really, really, really old. Anytime I meet someone new it's the same old song and dance. "You left Florida to move HERE?" or "oh, so you moved BACK to Pittsburgh." Then I tell them I never lived here before and chose to move here on my own, and I am always met with a blank stare, deer-in-the-headlights look. They simply do not know how to respond to someone just choosing to move here.

Many Pittsburghers are such sheltered people and really have no understanding of what a unique and interesting city this is. I don't know why so many of them enjoy being so negative about EVERYTHING. Pittsburgh is known as a tough town, but I have no idea how it got that reputation, it's really a city of whiners.

Great pictures, by the way!
I think those of us who have moved here from another area appreciate it and celebrate it more than homegrown folks. Over all, it's been a complete enhancement of my life moving to Pittsburgh. Between meeting my wife after only living down here for two weeks and sharing the home we now call our own, and having Frick Park as our back yard, I'm living the way I've always wanted. As far as the complaints go, everyone has complaints about something. As far as the illustrious original poster of this thread goes, you can't make an objective judgement about a city visiting it for a few days. I love going to NYC, and often have said that I would love to settle in right on Central Park, but thining about it logically, there's probably so much more to living in NYC than I could ever imagine. So when I see NYC'ers complaining, i'm not going to scold them for doing so, because they know their life the best.

Old 03-07-2009, 12:22 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,147,178 times
^^^I agree with the above. Some of the "complaints" of the Pittsburghers are based on years of living there, putting up with the politics, etc.

Old 03-07-2009, 02:55 PM

478 posts, read 1,231,976 times
Thanks for taking some great pictures. Hopefully one day Pittsburgers will appreciate what they have. Maybe one day (I'm not holding my breath) the politics can be changed and the negativity stopped.

Old 03-07-2009, 04:56 PM

2,193 posts, read 5,780,672 times
Glad you enjoyed your visit. Don't wait another decade to come back

Old 03-07-2009, 09:54 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,512,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugatu View Post
Excellent post! I've been up here over 2 years now, and all the negativity from the locals gets really, really, really old. Anytime I meet someone new it's the same old song and dance. "You left Florida to move HERE?" or "oh, so you moved BACK to Pittsburgh." Then I tell them I never lived here before and chose to move here on my own, and I am always met with a blank stare, deer-in-the-headlights look. They simply do not know how to respond to someone just choosing to move here.

Many Pittsburghers are such sheltered people and really have no understanding of what a unique and interesting city this is. I don't know why so many of them enjoy being so negative about EVERYTHING. Pittsburgh is known as a tough town, but I have no idea how it got that reputation, it's really a city of whiners.

Great pictures, by the way!

There are some other neighborhoods you would need to check out to understand the "tough" part.............

Old 03-08-2009, 03:23 AM

1,369 posts, read 3,298,161 times
My 2.5 years of living in Pittsburgh were great as well. I'm not from Pittsburgh and definitely got the "what are you doing here?" type of thing a lot. It's kinda bizarre it's a pretty cool city, but definitely a bit strange to "outsiders." Not in a bigoted or xenophobic way, just a more, like you said, puzzled type of reaction when you tell people you live in Pittsburgh but aren't from Pittsburgh. I lived in the Strip in a complex full of people not from Pittsburgh, which helped a lot (and was a fabulous location)...but Pittsburghers in general vastly underrate their city. The problem is the inmigration is pretty low and a lot of the "natives" haven't seen other cities enough to really understand the benefits and drawbacks to where they live, unfortunately.

Old 03-08-2009, 10:04 AM

32,602 posts, read 77,235,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drshang View Post
My 2.5 years of living in Pittsburgh were great as well. I'm not from Pittsburgh and definitely got the "what are you doing here?" type of thing a lot. It's kinda bizarre it's a pretty cool city, but definitely a bit strange to "outsiders." Not in a bigoted or xenophobic way, just a more, like you said, puzzled type of reaction when you tell people you live in Pittsburgh but aren't from Pittsburgh. I lived in the Strip in a complex full of people not from Pittsburgh, which helped a lot (and was a fabulous location)...but Pittsburghers in general vastly underrate their city. The problem is the inmigration is pretty low and a lot of the "natives" haven't seen other cities enough to really understand the benefits and drawbacks to where they live, unfortunately.
I concur wholeheartedly. I received several puzzled expressions when I told people I was in Pittsburgh for pleasure---NOT for "business." One plus for Pittsburghers though is that you most certainly are the most COURTEOUS drivers I've EVER experienced! I made rapid lane changes and was probably swerving all over the place like an idiot, panicking as my Garmin kept on saying "Recalculating" when I missed a turn, and yet I was never beeped at, flipped the bird, etc., even once. I suppose having a PA license plate probably helped matters. Here in NEPA I notice that drivers tend to be more liberal with the horn-honking for those with the NJ/NY license plates. LOL!

Last edited by SteelCityRising; 03-08-2009 at 10:04 AM.. Reason: Typographical Error

Old 03-08-2009, 10:42 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,619,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Hello there from one NEPA yokel to another (even though this one will soon be moving away...sniffle, sniffle). We decided to go to Pittsburgh on a whim because I hadn't been there since 1998, and this forum in particular had inspired me to see how much the city had changed since then. As such we left Wednesday morning for the city and returned home last night. We didn't have nearly enough time to take in all that we had wanted. I still wanted to see Point State Park, the zoo, the incline, and more of Shadyside, along with the Mexican War Streets. I was bummed also that the Penguins weren't in town, as I'm a HUGE fan!
Beautiul pics. Love those old homes! Gorgeous!

Old 03-09-2009, 06:24 AM

3,164 posts, read 6,668,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
I concur wholeheartedly. I received several puzzled expressions when I told people I was in Pittsburgh for pleasure---
I probably would have reacted the same way.

Quote:
I made rapid lane changes and was probably swerving all over the place like an idiot, panicking as my Garmin kept on saying "Recalculating" when I missed a turn, and yet I was never beeped at, flipped the bird, etc., even once. I suppose having a PA license plate probably helped matters
LOL it's a good thing you didn't get in front of me. I don't use the bird, but put my horn to good use.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh