Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 02:17 AM

701 posts, read 2,030,637 times

Advertisements

I've heard the two compared, mainly if not solely on aesthetics. For anyone that has visited/lived in both places, where do you think is the better place for a mid-twenties bachelor, looking to go to school for an associates and ultimately going into law enforcement?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2009, 02:29 AM

9,894 posts, read 22,023,427 times
Portland,or would be better for 20 somethings then pittsburgh,pa.I would choose portland even though im a avid steelers fan.Pitts weather is unstable yr round compared to portland.Both skylines of both cities are breath taking.

Old 03-11-2009, 01:33 PM

57 posts, read 186,300 times
Education and cost of housing are better here: extracurricular activities, transportation and food are better in Portland.

Last edited by sketchbooks; 03-11-2009 at 01:34 PM.. Reason: Clarifying "cost of living"

Old 03-11-2009, 03:20 PM

1,437 posts, read 3,072,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beat02 View Post
I've heard the two compared, mainly if not solely on aesthetics. For anyone that has visited/lived in both places, where do you think is the better place for a mid-twenties bachelor, looking to go to school for an associates and ultimately going into law enforcement?
I would say that Seattle reminds me more of Pittsburgh than Portland, or is more similiar. I'm talking about the size and terrain of both Pittsburgh and Seattle. Portland feels more like a big 'town', as opposed to Seattle and Pittsburgh feeling like small to mid-sized 'cities'.

Pittsburgh looks and feels, alot more blue-collar than either Portland or Seattle though. Seattle's nabes that surrond it's downtown areas, are alot nicer too. Try comparing Pittsburgh's Hill District to Seattle's Capital Hill nabe, there's no comparision. Seattle's downtown core is very nice and there's been alot of development over the years. And it's considered alot more desirable to live in as opposed to Pittsburgh's downtown core.

Pittsburgh's economy was built on blue-collar workers, Seattle's on white-collar. You can really see and feel the difference between the two. Seattle is one of, if not the most, educated cities in America (highest % of college grads).

I know you were asking the difference between Portland and Pittsburgh. But I just think that Seattle is a closer comparision (in terms of terrain).

In terms of living, I'd choose Seattle over Portland. Portland vs Pittsburgh? I'd choose Pittsburgh over Portland. Seattle vs Pittsburgh (I know you ain't asking, but I'm telling! lol ), I'd probably choose Seattle. But the cost of living is WAY HIGHER there in Seattle compared to Pittsburgh.

Law enforcement would probably be a little tougher in Pittsburgh compared to either Portland or Seattle. I know in Seattle, most the scumbags actually live 20 miles south in Tacoma. I'd say there's more action, in terms of violent crime, in Pittsburgh compared to the other two.

Old 03-11-2009, 08:31 PM

102 posts, read 295,694 times
Considering that Portland is young and progressive, and Pittsburgh is old and not, to suggest the 2 are similar is just laughable. One is near mountains and the ocean....the other is near Lake Erie and...the Laurel Highlands? Uh, yeah...this is likely a myth perpetrated by those Pittsburghers who would like to think the town is actually "hip"

Old 03-11-2009, 09:14 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,544,696 times
The median age of people living in Pittsburgh, PA was 35.5 at the time of the last full census survey. (The United States average at the time was 35.3) ...

Portland, Oregon detailed profile. ... Median resident age: 35.2 years. Oregon median age: 36.3 years.

Old 03-11-2009, 09:16 PM

1,437 posts, read 3,072,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tibor75 View Post
Considering that Portland is young and progressive, and Pittsburgh is old and not, to suggest the 2 are similar is just laughable. One is near mountains and the ocean....the other is near Lake Erie and...the Laurel Highlands? Uh, yeah...this is likely a myth perpetrated by those Pittsburghers who would like to think the town is actually "hip"
First of all, I think he was talking about the terrain of both cities. That's why I compared it Pittsburgh to Seattle. And that's if you ain't counting the Puget Sound.

Pittsburgh might not be "hip", but it does have it's own "niche" so-to-speak. There are customs in Pittsburgh unique to Pittsburgh. It's also rich in history along with pride. When comparing cities, you have to compare cities that are in the same class. Neither Seattle or Portland are 'rust belt' cities, so it's not really possible to compare them with Pittsburgh.

Comparing Pittsburgh with say Cleveland, Buffalo, Cinnci or even Philly (although Philly is much larger), would be alot more accurate than some 'West' coast city. Not only are there differences in the regions, the economies and the 'make up' of their populations are alot different.

Seattle or Portland vs San Fransico would be a fair comparision, and alot more similiar than some 'rust belt' city located in the Northeast.

Old 03-13-2009, 09:55 AM

172 posts, read 333,057 times
My wife and I are lifelong Pittsburghers who honeymooned in Portland, OR. I think that you can compare the two places in one limited sense: they have about the same number of people in their metro areas and thus have a comparable speed or pace of life. Other than that, they are extremely different places.

I think the answer to your question depends on what sort of cop and what sort of bachelor you want to be.

Metro Pittsburgh cops work in hundreds of different police departments: the city has its own force, and then all the suburbs either have their own forces or combined forces. As a result, in Pittsburgh you can pick the sort of place you'd like to work (and the size of your department) in a way that you may not be able to do in Portland (where I would bet policing is done on the county level).

Pittsburgh has a much lower cost of living than Portland, so your cop salary would go farther here. And Pittsburgh tends to have retained traditional church-going habits, so if you want to get married as opposed to staying a bachelor or being a serial monogamist, you might do well here.

On the other hand, Portland has been growing and expanding and attracting new residents in a way that Pittsburgh has not. If you like artsy areas or hippie areas you will find more of them in Portland than in Pittsburgh.

I would guess that Portland would be more fun than Pittsburgh in your twenties but that Pittsburgh would be better in your thirties and afterward.

Old 03-15-2009, 02:47 PM

102 posts, read 295,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Magarac View Post
I would guess that Portland would be more fun than Pittsburgh in your twenties but that Pittsburgh would be better in your thirties and afterward.
More likely Pittsburgh would be more fun in your 70s and 80s. It's amaizng how many old, and I mean reeaally old people live here. I lived in an apt in Shadyside, which is one of the more hip areas in Pittsburgh, and the complex was at least 33% over the age of 65. There was an ambulance by the apartment at least once a month. I shut the elevator door on a person too slow to get in at least once a week.

Old 03-15-2009, 08:54 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,712,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tibor75 View Post
More likely Pittsburgh would be more fun in your 70s and 80s. It's amaizng how many old, and I mean reeaally old people live here. I lived in an apt in Shadyside, which is one of the more hip areas in Pittsburgh, and the complex was at least 33% over the age of 65. There was an ambulance by the apartment at least once a month. I shut the elevator door on a person too slow to get in at least once a week.
How hip is Portland? You probably consider white guys with dreads "hip".

Edit- Anybody who uses the word "hip" never, ever is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh